Aft balcony vs. side balcony - pros and cons

enjoyinglife

When I was on the voyager class ships I also had an aft balcony. It was huge as you said, but If I looked down there was a huge steel area blocking my view. Maybe it was the floor I was on? Did you have the same problem? It spanned the width of the ship and went around 20 feet back. Maybe for staff to use for something?

This page is from voyager-class.com and shows pictures of what you had. This is the photo page showing ones of the balcony that I have booked for my upcoming cruise. The photos clearly show the aft has a somewhat obstructed view. This is a wonderful site for anyone thinking of booking a RCI voyager class ship.

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/albums/albums/cabins/aftbalconies/73887688/html/73887688FR.html

We were in room 6481 on the Conquest and LOVED it. It's an aft L shaped room with extended balcony. It's the last room on the side of the ship right before the wrap balconies. It's very quiet because there are stairs on the other side of the room that are ONLY used during the muster drill (then the doors are shut blocking access to the stairs).

This is my preference for a cabin so far. They are currently booked :( I had one on the Victory.

This page is from voyager-class.com and shows pictures of what you had. This is the photo page showing ones of the balcony that I have booked for my upcoming cruise. The photos clearly show the aft has a somewhat obstructed view. This is a wonderful site for anyone thinking of booking a RCI voyager class ship.

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/albums/albums/cabins/aftbalconies/73887688/html/73887688FR.html

I would want to see these pictures before I booked these cabins.

aft--larger, better view, no shade--hot, hot, hot--zero privacy

side--smaller,one sided veiw,shade, good breeze, a little privacy--

We prefer the side balcony for the breeze and shade.

If and when I do Alaska I want another aft balcony!

I am waiting for a response on another thread to some questions that you just answered for me. Mainly, the "no shade" was my first hesitation for not booking the aft! Thanks for the info.

I would want to see these pictures before I booked these cabins.

Yes, it is good to see what you are buying. The one I got is the 7th deck aft corner port side with the large port hole type opening. The side view is unobstructed. The balconies are huge (comparable to or larger than suites) and the same price as their E1 regular balconies.

I read on here to bring this specific little tool, ask my hubby and he had one, so we brought it. We would go on our balcony, and whenever we wanted, we would open up dthe divider and go on the front on our "large, semi-private" deck!

what special tool did you use to open your balcony dividers? We are going to have 3 balcony rooms side by side and I would like to open them also. Second, did you have any issues with your steward or anyone else making you close them?

what special tool did you use to open your balcony dividers? We are going to have 3 balcony rooms side by side and I would like to open them also. Second, did you have any issues with your steward or anyone else making you close them?

I would ask the purser to open the dividers.. from what I have read here.. there is only a certain number of dividers that can be opened at one time for safety reasons.;)

Good Evening. We have a L-shaped booked on the Glory for next May. We can't wait, but one question can you talk your steward into getting a couple of lounge chairs for you? I know you would have to have them sit sideways, but I think it would still be great.

Good Evening. We have a L-shaped booked on the Glory for next May. We can't wait, but one question can you talk your steward into getting a couple of lounge chairs for you? I know you would have to have them sit sideways, but I think it would still be great.
We have never asked, but you'd be hard pressed to fit two lounge chairs out there..... even one would make things pretty tight. This picture is from an L shaped cabin on deck 6 of the Valor:

100_0251.jpg

We were in an aft cabin on the Legend a couple of weeks ago that also had a larger balcony...... not as wide as the balcony we had pictured above, but a little deeper. There was a lounge chair already out there, but I thought it made the balcony a bit too cramped.

John

I am waiting for a response on another thread to some questions that you just answered for me. Mainly, the "no shade" was my first hesitation for not booking the aft! Thanks for the info.

you're very welcome! :D

My husband is not here right now to ask him, but it was a multi-tool gadget small pocket knife. Dont think we will be able to get it thru airport security. Last time we dr0ve to New Orleans therefore, it was easy. Any comments about that?

Anyway no one had issues because although we knew how to open it, we really didnt have it opened for long at all. Probably no more than one hour total time all week. If you want to have the dividers open all week, it may be better just to ask the steward. I believe I read somewhere (dont think I dreamed it) that only a small % can now be opened and that there happens to be a list somewhere to get it done. Can anyone elaborate?

My husband is not here right now to ask him, but it was a multi-tool gadget small pocket knife. Dont think we will be able to get it thru airport security. Last time we dr0ve to New Orleans therefore, it was easy. Any comments about that?...........
It should be OK as long as it is in your checked luggage. I almost always pack a Leatherman type tool/knife in case I need it for some odd reason.

John

It should be OK as long as it is in your checked luggage. I almost always pack a Leatherman type tool/knife in case I need it for some odd reason.

John

So, when security checks out the luggage (with us right there watching), they won't hold up my flight? I'll be so nervous watching and waiting at the airport that I'll look so guilty!!!!LOL!!!

So, when security checks out the luggage (with us right there watching), they won't hold up my flight? I'll be so nervous watching and waiting at the airport that I'll look so guilty!!!!LOL!!!
By checked luggage I mean the suitcase you check in before you depart and then pick up when you arrive at your destination. Do not have it in a bag you'll be carrying through the security check point! You won't even get a pair of nail clippers past them if it has a small nail file!

Stuff like that is OK in checked luggage because you don't have access to it during the flight/s you're on. Same way with liquids now, you can have a 12 ounce bottle of shampoo in your suitcase, but try to get that through security in your carry-on bag........ no way.

John

By checked luggage I mean the suitcase you check in before you depart and then pick up when you arrive at your destination. Do not have it in a bag you'll be carrying through the security check point! You won't even get a pair of nail clippers past them if it has a small nail file!

Stuff like that is OK in checked luggage because you don't have access to it during the flight/s you're on. Same way with liquids now, you can have a 12 ounce bottle of shampoo in your suitcase, but try to get that through security in your carry-on bag........ no way.

John

Actually I knew that you meant the ones that I will check in and the airline will handle. I guess because we leave from a small airport, everyones check in luggage is checked while the pax still has possession of it, and once it is cleared the inspection, they take it from the pax. I was wondering if they would still let us bring that in our checkin luggage.

Our carryone would be checked at a different security point and I know they are extremely strict.

We booked the Legend April 08. Cabin aft 6264. I have read good and bad (hot! no breeze, etc.). We do not spend a lot of time on the balcony during the day. Mostly early morning and evening. I am looking forward to it.:D Tell me I picked a good cabin:o

.....I am looking forward to it.:D Tell me I picked a good cabin:o
looks like a pretty good choice to me..... you have passenger decks both below and above.

We were in cabin 5297 and the only issue we had was a very small amount of soot on the chairs. Just take out a wash cloth if you see some. It wasn't all the time, and was nothing that would keep me from an aft cabin in the future.

John

My husband is not here right now to ask him, but it was a multi-tool gadget small pocket knife. Dont think we will be able to get it thru airport security. Last time we dr0ve to New Orleans therefore, it was easy. Any comments about that?

Anyway no one had issues because although we knew how to open it, we really didnt have it opened for long at all. Probably no more than one hour total time all week. If you want to have the dividers open all week, it may be better just to ask the steward. I believe I read somewhere (dont think I dreamed it) that only a small % can now be opened and that there happens to be a list somewhere to get it done. Can anyone elaborate?

He said it was a letherman tool.

We booked the Legend April 08. Cabin aft 6264. I have read good and bad (hot! no breeze, etc.). We do not spend a lot of time on the balcony during the day. Mostly early morning and evening. I am looking forward to it.Tell me I picked a good cabin

I hope so, because I booked one too for Dec.;)

If you do a search, there are pics & many posts here of the legend aft balconies

I took notes :D based upon which, I changed our cabin to a lower deck 4 8C to achieve the following:

1) More overhead coverage, told it's almost entirely shielded from above decks.

2) Accordingly, wherever the sun is positioned depends on how much you get

3) Most who have complained of heat have sailed when it's hot and they have the door held open with a bungee cord :confused:

4) Dividers are more upright between the cabins as opposed to the slanted versions where most pics portray everyone hanging over the balcony chatting away

5) I'm told the lower placement will alleviate any extra rough ride from being all the way aft (if not hope my patch is working overtime)

Of course, i have zip in the way of experience and am at the mercy of my fellow posters...hope they weren't goofing on me:p

We love the aft balconies, have one booked for the Med on Freedom next May. We had one when we sailed into Curaco and it was amazing seeing both sides of the inlet ride with all the colorful buildings. Have never had a problem with soot or trash, did have some one yell down one time how did we get down there, my DH yelled back, Upgrade.

Archived