Should Celebrity Change Their Dining Options ?

Andy

Which Celebrity Dining Option Would You Prefer ?  

543 members have voted

1. 1. Which Celebrity Dining Option Would You Prefer ?

• Get Rid of Traditional Dining, and have Anytime Dining at all times.
    • Split the Dining Room into 2 choices, Anytime Dining and Traditional Dining
    • Have 4 Dining Times instead of 2, while maintaining Traditional Dining
    • Do Nothing - Keep Traditional Dining as it is !

This is a bit strange, because I can't seem to get a single one of you "anytime diners" to understand the basics.

1. You have a lot of cruiselines and ships doing "anytime dining," but you seem intent upon thrusting that type of experience upon all of us. Please, leave us one cruiseline.

2. Not a single one of you has attempted to refute the idea that a cruiseline, or any other business for that matter, can't be all things to all people.

3. Most of you will agree (even if none of you will say so) that by spreading your efforts out you are less likely to be superb at anything, and yet that is what you're advocating. I maintain that by focusing on one thing--traditional dining--and eliminating the many distractions, we will get a better product.

4. When was the last time you went to a buffet for great dining. That is what is created, intentionally or otherwise, when you force the food preparation staff to cater to so many dining options at one time.

5. Finally, there is only so much money available per passenger for food. The greater the variety of dining options the more likely there will be waste and the less likely there will be enough money spent making the food memorable That is the reason the specialty restaurants have been conceived, and now we have to pay extra for a truly unique experience.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

We have cruised on Celebrity 5 times and Royal Carribean twice, traditional dining is one of the premier options of a luxury cruise line. The formality of the dining experience and the opportunityto interact with fellow cruisers is one of the rewarding features of a cruise. The late seating is especially rewarding for those who like to relax a bit befor dinner while the early seating allows those with families (or early appetities) to enjoy a relaxed dining experiene.

I would like to see a stricter enforcement of dress codes in the dining room, especially on formal night. I find it insulting to see a fellow cruiser at the late seating dressed like he/she was going to a stock car race or a rock concert.

I guess that is why there are so many cruise options, pick what suits you.

You have a lot of cruiselines and ships doing "anytime dining," but you seem intent upon thrusting that type of experience upon all of us. Please, leave us one cruiseline.

I'm not an anytime advocate per se, as I prefer traditional. However, I'm looking at it from their perspective. If anytime is the more lucrative, more popular approach and the people who like it don't want to be forced to dine traditionally, why should Celebrity have to lose all of those potential customers to Carnival/RCI/Princess/NCL/HAL? They want to remain competitive. Unless the niche market that traditional dining represents is strong enough to make up for losing tons of customers, then they SHOULD offer anytime alternatives. They have to do what is profitable -- they owe that to their stockholders.

Is that the case? I don't know. It would take an awful lot of research to determine so, and I'm sure that research is taking place. If X goes with anytime, you can rest assured that their research showed them it would be the most profitable way to go. Will that be better for you and me? Probably not. But the cruise line is not in business to make me happy at the expense of everybody else. If that were the case, it would be called my private yacht...

This is a bit strange, because I can't seem to get a single one of you "anytime diners" to understand the basics.

1. You have a lot of cruiselines and ships doing "anytime dining," but you seem intent upon thrusting that type of experience upon all of us. Please, leave us one cruiseline.

2. Not a single one of you has attempted to refute the idea that a cruiseline, or any other business for that matter, can't be all things to all people.

3. Most of you will agree (even if none of you will say so) that by spreading your efforts out you are less likely to be superb at anything, and yet that is what you're advocating. I maintain that by focusing on one thing--traditional dining--and eliminating the many distractions, we will get a better product.

4. When was the last time you went to a buffet for great dining. That is what is created, intentionally or otherwise, when you force the food preparation staff to cater to so many dining options at one time.

5. Finally, there is only so much money available per passenger for food. The greater the variety of dining options the more likely there will be waste and the less likely there will be enough money spent making the food memorable That is the reason the specialty restaurants have been conceived, and now we have to pay extra for a truly unique experience.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

IMHO not true. I've tried both Traditional and "Anytime" on various cruise lines (Carnival, Princess, HAL, Oceania, Celebrity and Regents).

(1) This "Anytimer" isn't trying to thrust anything on anyone. IMHO Celebrity should be able to do both without the degradation of the food quality--that gives everyone a choice.

(2) Multiple venues (each dining area, i.e., buffet, main dining room, speciality resturarant) have individuals in charge of thier own areas. Those individuals are tasked and responsible for their own area--hence focus. That's why there are multiple Maitre 'd's. Specialty restuarants don't seem to suffer because it's separate from the main dinning room.

(3) The product (food) is the same menu in both the Traditional and Anytime seatings. It's prepared at the same place for the same number of people each and every day. So why does it matter if I eat it at 6:30, 8:30 or anytime I want between the hours of 6:30 and 10pm and in what dining room or suite for that matter?

(4) I've never had a buffet in the dining room whether it was Traditional or Anytime seating. However, I have had to go to the ships buffet when the shore excursion returned after the late seating. With Anytime dining they accept you up to 10:00 or 10:30pm (depending on the cruise line).

(5) Gee, and I though Speciality restuarants were conceived for that "special" dining experience--you know the romance & ambience. Because you certainly don't get that with waiters running around in a huge dining area with singing waiters!

weelv2cruise, I pretty much agree with everything you said except the waiters on Celebrity don't sing, except for anniversaries and birthdays. We had very good luck with meeting people in Anytime Dinning on Princess with an amazingly high percentage of repeats from night to night because we seem to like to dine at the same time.

DrewB, I also agree with you...it's a business and Celebrity (or any cruise line) will tailor their product to maximize their profits. It isn't about tradition or premium or whatever...it's about dollars. The minute cruise lines decide that offering tux rentals costs them more than it makes, formal nights will be history.

Bobbyleduck, your last post brings to mind those NCL advertisements that depict the regimented cruise experience. It's over the top but like all good satirical advertising it contains a good bit of truth.

We recently met some folks who just returned from their first cruise ever. They sailed on Norwegian. They had decided to sail Norwegian because of their "anytime" dining. They loved the cruise except for having to get up every morning at 5:30 am to get their reservations for the "freestyle" dining. God forbid.

Dear Deep Water Mariner:

"Bobbyleduck, your last post brings to mind those NCL advertisements that depict the regimented cruise experience. It's over the top but like all good satirical advertising it contains a good bit of truth."

I have a degree in advertising from the University of Oregon, and I really enjoy that commercial. I also know that NCL is taking a direct stab at Celebrity with that ad. It's OK! They've got their thing, and that's OK. I won't try to change NCL.

Now, for all of you who appreciate NCL, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and every other cruiseline out there, please give them your business, but please let us have Celebrity. What is it about Traditional Dining aboard Celebrity that makes you want to change it to be just like everything else? Honestly, I really don't want to know anymore. I just want you to let the thousands of people who sail each week with Celebrity and enjoy its Traditional Dining have a little piece of tradition.

Please, quit trying to make everything the same. I would like to know why you think every cruiseline must be exactly the same? Why? Why? Why?

It's exhausting!

By the way, Weelv2cruise, when you say, "(1) This "Anytimer" isn't trying to thrust anything on anyone. IMHO Celebrity should be able to do both without the degradation of the food quality--that gives everyone a choice," your two statements are contradictory. Celebrity is one way, and you want it to change.

Oh well! Another day doing battle in defense of Traditional Dining.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Dear Deep Water Mariner:

"Bobbyleduck, your last post brings to mind those NCL advertisements that depict the regimented cruise experience. It's over the top but like all good satirical advertising it contains a good bit of truth."

I have a degree in advertising from the University of Oregon, and I really enjoy that commercial. I also know that NCL is taking a direct stab at Celebrity with that ad. It's OK! They've got their thing, and that's OK. I won't try to change NCL.

Now, for all of you who appreciate NCL, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and every other cruiseline out there, please give them your business, but please let us have Celebrity. What is it about Traditional Dining aboard Celebrity that makes you want to change it to be just like everything else? Honestly, I really don't want to know anymore. I just want you to let the thousands of people who sail each week with Celebrity and enjoy its Traditional Dining have a little piece of tradition.

Please, quit trying to make everything the same. I would like to know why you think every cruiseline must be exactly the same? Why? Why? Why?

It's exhausting!

By the way, Weelv2cruise, when you say, "(1) This "Anytimer" isn't trying to thrust anything on anyone. IMHO Celebrity should be able to do both without the degradation of the food quality--that gives everyone a choice," your two statements are contradictory. Celebrity is one way, and you want it to change.

Oh well! Another day doing battle in defense of Traditional Dining.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Bob,

It is obvious you have never tried anytime dining from the cruise lines you have chosen to display in your signature. Maybe before you condemn anytime dining, you should at least try it once. Speaking from experience makes one a little more knwoledgeable about their opinions. :confused:

The DW and I have used it several times on Princess, RSSC, and Oceania cruiselines and the food quality did not suffer. On Oceania, a group of 8 us came back from a very long tour and were able to be seated at 9:30 pm and staff and food were superb. Being able to dine later or earlier, for my convenience, only improves the cruising experience versus having to rush getting to dinner, after a long shore tour, on time or trying to make a show that starts before your traditional dining time is complete.

I suppose if you can't make decisions on your own or have to be forced to feed at a certain time everyday, then you need traditional dining but some us free-thinkers and rebellious-types like having choices! :rolleyes:

Alan and DW:)

Bob,

It is obvious you have never tried anytime dining from the cruise lines you have chosen to display in your signature. Maybe before you condemn anytime dining, you should at least try it once. Speaking from experience makes one a little more knwoledgeable about their opinions. :confused:

The DW and I have used it several times on Princess, RSSC, and Oceania cruiselines and the food quality did not suffer. On Oceania, a group of 8 us came back from a very long tour and were able to be seated at 9:30 pm and staff and food were superb. Being able to dine later or earlier, for my convenience, only improves the cruising experience versus having to rush getting to dinner, after a long shore tour, on time or trying to make a show that starts before your traditional dining time is complete.

I suppose if you can't make decisions on your own or have to be forced to feed at a certain time everyday, then you need traditional dining but some us free-thinkers and rebellious-types like having choices! :rolleyes:

Alan and DW:)

Dear Alan:

What part of what I said leads you to believe that I have condemned any of those cruiselines? Please READ what I wrote before jumping all over me.

Just as with everyone else who has argued with me on this thread, you don't get it. I have not condemned a single one of the other cruiselines. In fact, I have sailed multiple times on one of them, and I have stated that I will probably sail on one or more of them in the future. When I do I will avail myself of the dining options presented to me.

What I won't do, is go on the boards for that line and tell the people who enjoy what's available, and probably make their decision in whole or in part because of those dining options, that it should be changed. I won't tell all of them that they are wrong and don't know what they're talking about.

I won't cast aspersions upon their character and ability to think, or suggest that my dining choices somehow make me more adventurous. It's not as if any of us are climbing Annapurna, so why would you do that?

You are welcome to your opinion about what kind of dining you enjoy and you have many cruiselines to choose from. I am also entitled to my opinion, but I have far fewer choices if I want a cruiseline that chooses to focus on Traditional Dining.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

We tried Princess' "personal choice" dining, and were so underwhelmed with it that by the third night we were calling it "p*ss-poor choice" dining. I very much prefer every aspect of traditional dining.

In the condo building in which I live they have "coffee mornings", I do not drink coffee, I do not like it. Do I insists that they change to Tea, - or also offer tea? Do I say Tea is my thing, I have a RIGHT to be offered Tea?

No I accept the fact that either I do not go to the gathering,- or I go but do not drink the offered beverage.

I have NO RIGHT to expect others will change just to accomodate me.

There are many cruise lines that boast, anytime dining, no dress codes, etc, it is up to each passenger to choose the line that suits his or her style.

Recently I heard an experienced cruiser complaining, about the Cunard fTransatlantic crossing, she had booked - her gripe:-

a/ She did not want to "have to fly to New York to get the ship["

b/ She did not want "6 days at sea without any ports"

c/ She did not want to "dress up - it was her vacation she wanted to please herself" "

d/ She did not want to have the "long flight back from Europe to US"

All I could ask was "Then why in the world did you choose a Cunard Transatlantic cruise'

Her answer was "The Travel agents were offering free air and free wine in my cabin it was a good deal moneywise"

Those of us who like "traditional cruising " have few options for cruise lines, PLEASE leave Celebrity alone.

In the condo building in which I live they have "coffee mornings", I do not drink coffee, I do not like it. Do I insists that they change to Tea, - or also offer tea? Do I say Tea is my thing, I have a RIGHT to be offered Tea?

No I accept the fact that either I do not go to the gathering,- or I go but do not drink the offered beverage.

I have NO RIGHT to expect others will change just to accomodate me.

There are many cruise lines that boast, anytime dining, no dress codes, etc, it is up to each passenger to choose the line that suits his or her style.

Recently I heard an experienced cruiser complaining, about the Cunard fTransatlantic crossing, she had booked - her gripe:-

a/ She did not want to "have to fly to New York to get the ship["

b/ She did not want "6 days at sea without any ports"

c/ She did not want to "dress up - it was her vacation she wanted to please herself" "

d/ She did not want to have the "long flight back from Europe to US"

All I could ask was "Then why in the world did you choose a Cunard Transatlantic cruise'

Her answer was "The Travel agents were offering free air and free wine in my cabin it was a good deal moneywise"

Those of us who like "traditional cruising " have few options for cruise lines, PLEASE leave Celebrity alone.

Well said, Jimsgirl. I completely agree.

Let's hope that Celebrity do not misinterpret the 'oh so predicable' vocal minority posting here as a ground swell that things must change.

To those who want anytime dining and no formal nights - Yes we heard your argument, you've made your point. Now go and pick up the phone and book HAL or RCL or Carnival where your needs are better accommodated.

We recently met some folks who just returned from their first cruise ever. They sailed on Norwegian. They had decided to sail Norwegian because of their "anytime" dining. They loved the cruise except for having to get up every morning at 5:30 am to get their reservations for the "freestyle" dining. God forbid.

DrKoob,

I'm so sorry they had to get up so early to get a diner reservation--that's horrible. I've not been on NCL but can't imagine having to get up so early just to eat in the dining room that evening.

What I won't do, is go on the boards for that line and tell the people who enjoy what's available, and probably make their decision in whole or in part because of those dining options, that it should be changed. I won't tell all of them that they are wrong and don't know what they're talking about.

I understand that this issue is very important to you and IS in fact, why you choose Celebrity. I believe that you are definitely in the minority in the importance you put on that one issue. I think most people make their cruising decisions based on any of the dozens of other issues - itinerary, ships, cabins and cabin availability, service, food, entertainment, demographics of other guests, etc. - or a combination of the above. If thousands of people love everything else about Celebrity (more than any other line) but would prefer other dining options, why should they have to choose a different line? Most of them are willing to sail with Celebrity even with Traditional being the only dining option, but given the choice, they would like an anytime option, too. If Celebrity chooses to make changes to accomodate them, it is because their business is valuable to the company...

Is there one little thing Celebrity does that you would prefer they change? Perhaps this one thing isn't of paramount importance to you, but all things being equal, you would prefer it a different way? Would you like it if somebody kept telling you to sail a different line because they do this little thing in the way you prefer (never mind the dozens of things you prefer about Celebrity)?

Yes, I realize that to you, maintaining traditional (and only traditional) dining is not a "little thing". I'm simply telling you that not everybody shares your priorities.

Well said, Jimsgirl. I completely agree.

Let's hope that Celebrity do not misinterpret the 'oh so predicable' vocal minority posting here as a ground swell that things must change.

To those who want anytime dining and no formal nights - Yes we heard your argument, you've made your point. Now go and pick up the phone and book HAL or RCL or Carnival where your needs are better accommodated.

Ouch! What does the question of Traditional and/or Anytime dining have to do with the dress code? And why not both Traditional and Anytime?

Several posts would have you believe that Celebrity is the only cruise line that has traditional dinning and that the rest of mainstream lines have gone to the dogs. The facts are that Carnival and RCI both offer traditional dinning exclusively, except for the current experiement with anytime dinning on one RCI ship. That leaves 17 or 18 RCI ships still with only traditonal dinning. Not every Princess ship has Personal Choice dinning. Their smaller (but wonderful) ships have traditional dinning. NCL is the only mainstream cruise line with exclusively anytime dinning. HAL is in the process of rolling out an anytime dinning option but still offers traditional dinning. Celebrity does not provide the last bastion of traditional dinning in mainstream cruising. If Celebrity were to begin offering an anytime dinning option, those who don't like it will have other cruise lines to choose from.

Yes, I realize that to you, maintaining traditional (and only traditional) dining is not a "little thing". I'm simply telling you that not everybody shares your priorities.
Let me see... the bottom 2 choices involve just 'Traditional' dining (be it 2 or 4 dining times). They currently total 65%. Not everyone shares his priorties, but a whole HECK of a lot of people do. :rolleyes:

Ouch! What does the question of Traditional and/or Anytime dining have to do with the dress code? And why not both Traditional and Anytime?

If you look at the other thread regarding dining arrangements, there are some posters campaigning for dining changes and dress changes.

I think that theses changes would alter the fundamental experience of Celebrity.

The problem with traditional and anytime is that it starts the slow process of change to a more casual cruise which will affect the whole ambiance on X.

Just my opinion though.;)

A question that has to be asked.. Why do you think that Celebrity is considering an alternative to traditional dining?

If enough people will be attracted to the Celebrity product by introducing more choice then it will happen. With what company are dissatisfied Celebrity cruisers going to cruise if Celebrity does introduce more flexibility.

We have been on Princess and switched from "anytime" to traditional when an opening became available. Just because I prefer a certain time and place, does not mean that everyone has to do the same. I have switched from early to late to casual on Celebrity and would like some more choice. 6:00 pm is too early, 8:30 is too late. Depending on the time of year, I love casual dining timed to evening sunsets. Too often the blinds in the dining room are closed due to complaints of individuals who don't like to gaze while I do. I for one have no problems at all with changing the present setup BUT I would like to see both choices available.

Dear Alan:

What part of what I said leads you to believe that I have condemned any of those cruiselines? Please READ what I wrote before jumping all over me.

Just as with everyone else who has argued with me on this thread, you don't get it. I have not condemned a single one of the other cruiselines. In fact, I have sailed multiple times on one of them, and I have stated that I will probably sail on one or more of them in the future. When I do I will avail myself of the dining options presented to me.

I won't cast aspersions upon their character and ability to think, or suggest that my dining choices somehow make me more adventurous. It's not as if any of us are climbing Annapurna, so why would you do that?

You are welcome to your opinion about what kind of dining you enjoy and you have many cruiselines to choose from. I am also entitled to my opinion, but I have far fewer choices if I want a cruiseline that chooses to focus on Traditional Dining.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Bob,

First, I never said you condemned any of the other lines, you must have MISREAD my post. You state repeatedly that you think that Celebrity should not offer anytime dining as an option because you prefer traditional dining. I also read all your other comments before I decided to put my two-cents worth in on the topic. My personal opinion is that it would be nice if Celebrity offered that option. Nobody said you didn't have a choice, I just said that if you never tried anytime dining, don't condemn the option. IT IS AN OPTION, not the norm. If you had tried the other lines than those in your signature line, you'd found out, they still offer traditional dining as the normal dining venue, they just offer anytime dining as an optional dining venue. As for casting aspersions, I think your writing speaks for itself! :p You have a happy cruising time!:)

Alan and DW

Let me see... the bottom 2 choices involve just 'Traditional' dining (be it 2 or 4 dining times). They currently total 65%. Not everyone shares his priorties, but a whole HECK of a lot of people do. :rolleyes:

1. While that indicates what people's preference may be, it has nothing to do with how they prioritize that preference. I'm one of the ones who voted in the bottom 2 choices, so I'm part of that 65%. However, this is not an enormous "dealbreaker" issue to me. Many others in that 65% may be like me in that they prefer traditional, but it would not be the deciding factor when choosing a line.

2. That survey exists only in the Celebrity forum of Cruise Critic. It is a tiny microcosm. It is not necessarily indicative of the thoughts and wishes of every bit of the market Celebrity may wish to cater to, now and for the next 20 years...

If you look at the other thread regarding dining arrangements, there are some posters campaigning for dining changes and dress changes.

I think that theses changes would alter the fundamental experience of Celebrity.

The problem with traditional and anytime is that it starts the slow process of change to a more casual cruise which will affect the whole ambiance on X.

Just my opinion though.;)

Ahhhh! Understand where you're coming from now. I honestly think the two subjects should be handled as separate entities though.

I too would be disappointed if Celebrity went to "Anytime dining" and no formal evenings. IMHO "anytime" dining isn't an excuse to toss all traditions out the porthole.

There are two things I like about traditional dining. One is that a group of strangers randomly seated together during the first night of a cruise often become life long friends. The other is that passengers don't have to worry about waiting on line for a table or feel pressured to gulp down their meal because other passengers are waiting for their table.

On the other hand, if adequate seating was available whenever a passenger wanted to eat dinner, I would prefer open seating because it would be easier to balance a port intensive cruise. With traditional dining, it is not uncommon for people to resort to room service or the casual dining venue for dinner because their scheduled time did not work well with their other plans for that day.

While I would miss the comaraderie that exists from traditional dining, that would be offset by the opportunity to meet more people during open seating.

In short, I find the idea of open seating very appealing if it can be done without long waits for a table.

Archived