Books for a 4 year old

bhcruise

We are taking a Med. cruise this November with my 4 year old daughter. I have been looking for books that are at her level about the ports we will be going to. I was hoping this would help her feel involved and keep her interested. However, I have not been able to find anything. Has anyone ever found books or games like this? Thanks for your help.

bhcruise:)

I think for 4YO girls to understand ports of call and different cities they visit will not be easy, but they can readily identify with a girl with an adventurous spirit. Most 4YO girls like Dora the Explorer or the Backyardigans because these characters travel to different places. Dora the Explorer even has an 1-hour show that travels to 4 different countries. I would bring along books your child normally enjoys or new DVDs of her favorite characters or shows (of course, you'll have to bring along a portable DVD player) and you will have an easier time if she gets bored during dinner or during long sea days.

But most 4YOs will enjoy kids' club, so she may not have time for you to read books to her while you are on your cruise.

But if you just want to prepare her for the cruise and the ports of call you will visit, the best thing you can do is to show her a brochure of the cruise ship you will go on and show her the location of your cabin (restaurant, kids' club, etc...) and, once on board, just pretend your child is Dora and you can explore the ship together.Or you can contact the tourism bureau of each city you will be visiting and get travel brochures from them. Show your child photos of places you will visit and I think that's pretty much what a 4YO can absorb at this point until she sees the real thing.

My 4YO was totally bored with sightseeing. She would rather stay on board and play with other kids at the kids' club.

Can't think of any titles off my head. We did a land tour of Italy when our DD was 4YO and she loved it! There is a cool series of story books about fine art/art museums that you may want to check out - they are entitled "Katie and . . . " - there is Katie and the Impressionists for example. A little girl is visiting an art museum with her grandmother and she imagines herself into the pictures.

Many 4-5YO can be very interested in fine art - just do some pre-research and she'll be thrilled to "find" the paininting that are in her book. You can also ask her questions about the pictures or statues - what's happening, find the apple tree, etc.

Apart from the art museums, our DD enjoyed the leaning tower of pisa, feeding the pigeons in St Mark's square, visiting gardens and parks. We did daily Search-and-find hunts - I put together picture lists of things we were likely to see (some city specific like a statue of a winged lion in Venice, others mundane a blue baseball cap). a list of 12 - 15 items really kept her interested looking for her things - she also really enjoyed checking each one off and getting a piece of candy when she finished her list.

DD is now nearly 12YO and still remembers alot about that trip to Italy. If you work at it a bit you can include your child in your excursions and you can both have fun! Have a great trip!

My son is six and he shows no interest in looking at my nice guidebooks with pictures. Kids are in it for the kid stuff. Your 4 year old is not really going to be into scenery, history or sightseeing. Were you at four?

When I took my son to Europe at age 3- he just liked the playgrounds, fountains and running around. Seek these places out in each city you explore. That way your child will have fun. Museums and such aren't going to be of much interest.

In any event, you might just want to rent some movies that feature some of the places you are going.

Onessa-

That sounds like a great idea. I love the idea of putting things together for her to find. She really enjoys pointing out things that she has seen in shows and books so I think that would be perfect for her. Did you make a book or just put in on a paper? If you wouldn't mind, do you have a few examples of what you did for different ports. Thank you so much for the great idea.

bhcruise:)

We took my DS (then 3, almost 4) to Tuscany and Rome last year and I scoured the internet for books. Not a cruise - just a trip. In addition to anything by Tomie DiPaola ("Strega Nona", etc.), I also found "Ciao Bambino, A Child's Tour of Italy" by Danna Troncatty Leahy, which we read over and over again before we went. It gives a fun and understandable overview of Italy along with a few handy words. DS charmed people by being able to order his own gelato and to count, and a couple of colors - and he knew when he was in the piazza, chasing pigeons, in Siena. I got it online from Amazon, though I don't remember it being as expensive as they have it now: http://www.amazon.com/CIAO-BAMBINO-Childs-Tour-Italy/dp/1420800825/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0967756-3403802?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184801726&sr=8-1

Buon viaggio!

MM

mmcruise-

Thanks for the advice. I found that book, but wasn't sure how good it was so I am glad to hear from someone who has read it. I will go ahead and get that and keep looking for more. Thanks for the help.

bhcruise

My daughter Katie received this book from her aunt when she was 4 and has never really showed any interest in looking at this book (I've tried). I mean her name is even on the book. She's 7 now and that book is still sitting on her bookshelf. She has gone on to read Hannah Montana and Lizzy McGuire books.

Anyways, it goes to show you that kids are different, but unless you try it with your kids, you'll never know where your child's interest lies.

The CD that RCI hands out at AquaTots and AquaBabies is kind of cute and talks all about cruising and different places to visit. My kids (2 years) really like the CD but of course don't understand the dialog about visiting different countries...but a 4 year old would I think.

Monique

My daughter Katie received this book from her aunt when she was 4 and has never really showed any interest in looking at this book (I've tried). I mean her name is even on the book. She's 7 now and that book is still sitting on her bookshelf. She has gone on to read Hannah Montana and Lizzy McGuire books.

Anyways, it goes to show you that kids are different, but unless you try it with your kids, you'll never know where your child's interest lies.

My DD is also a Katie - she got the one book as a gift and over time we ended up with the whole series. She's 11YO and still has those in her bookshelf - she also spent her own money once to buy a christmas ornament of "Britton Girls Dancing" at the Chicago Art Institute because she had recognized the painting in the gallery from the book. But she's loved art since she was a baby and kept straining in the front pack to see all of the paintings (although she did actually knock me off balance when she was 8MO at the Monteray Aquariam when she was in the front pack -- she made several very squirmy moves to keep an eye on a sea tortoise)

As she got older, she went through a phase where she loved the Magic Tree House books. For early elementary kids, these are good for travelling -- they have a number of stories that take place in spots where one could cruise. Two years ago she LOVED the thief lord partly because it took place in Venice. This summer she's been going through her school's summer reading list and has been doing the "classics" -- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, etc. but is on a break while she finishes up Harry Potter. Between JK Rowling and Jane Austin, I have a feeling that a trip to Britain will be high on her list!

It can be a bit more difficult to match books with travel for little ones, but it is always rewarding to try!

Archived