SunPrincess-5 hour delay with no complaints!

scubarobin

Just returned from Alaska on the Sun Princess - July 8 to 15. We live in Seattle so were excited to board early and view the city from the water. We were on board, checked in and enjoying lunch and the hot tub by noon. It was wonderful! At 4:00 when the departure was beginning then power was lost when the ship switched from shore to ship's power. The Pearl and Holland ship's left while we sat in the dark (well light since it was day time). The captain did a magical job of keeping us informed and the crew made cold sandwiches for the afternoon and early evening. Finally at 7:30 power was restored and we were sailing by the Space Needle at 9:00PM. The 5 hour delay caused us to arrive in Ketchikan 3 hours late.

Princess handled this "bump" in the schedule in first class fashion. They had complimentary wine with dinner, changed the seating to open seating for those with reserved seating and several days into the cruise we received a letter from the captain informing us we were to receive a $50 per person credit on our bill. Not the usual $50 credit on a future cruise.

Two years ago I sailed on the Norwegian Star out of Seattle which had continual engine trouble that caused us to miss the port of Sitka. My travel agent wrote a letter and they did nothing and in fact were very rude and unforgiving about the change.

THANK YOU PRINCESS! I am sold and will definitely cruise with you again. A first class outfit who knows how to treat people and turn lemon's into lemonade.

Robin

scubarobin THANK YOU so much for sharing your story and for taking the time to publicly compliment Princess on these boards. Far to often all we read here are the moaners and gripers.

So happy you had a great cruise and I wish you many more!

Kudos for Princess in how they handled it, but a big kudos to you for taking the time to post and share your appreciation for the action that they took. Unfortunately, things happen from time to time, especially when we travel, but too often people react with anger and don't hesitate to post about it!!

Nice to read about a situation that did not please anyone (least of all the crew on board the Sun, I am sure!!), and yet their attempt to appease the passengers was well received. Well done!

Amazing how keeping the passengers informed and a few tokens of shipboard credit and free wine with dinner can keep passengers happy. I hope Princess learns from this situation and realizes that just a small gesture like this can make up for problems. Glad things worked out well, I also feel Princess handled this remarkably well.

Glad they resolved the situation and handled it well.

Did they ever say what the problem was??

We are leaving Seattle on the SUN in September so hopefully they have everything resolved by then:D

Kudos to Princess. We're sailing on the Sun August 12. I too hope the problem has been resolved. :)

Robin, will you post a trip review?

Jamella

Amazing how keeping the passengers informed and a few tokens of shipboard credit and free wine with dinner can keep passengers happy. I hope Princess learns from this situation and realizes that just a small gesture like this can make up for problems. Glad things worked out well, I also feel Princess handled this remarkably well.

How true and it is much cheaper to keep customers than to have to find new ones:D :D Maybe they are learning from all their past hard learnt lessons:D

Lucky you! We sailed from San Francisco to Mexico in April. We were several hours late leaving. We live in the Bay Area so it was no big deal for us, but I did feel bad for people who came from far away and missed sailing under the Golden Gate during daylight hours. For us, it was beautiful to see the city in lights and sailing under the GG in the dark was a new experience. No compensation was offered, but we certainly didn't expect it either - and we still love cruising Princess. We were not late arriving in our first port, so maybe that is the criteria.

It's all about keeping people informed. A reasonable person will understand when there are issues that affect their cruise if they are kept informed. Thanks for telling us about the good news.

Archived