Cozumel snorkeling w/ 6 year old

jsoloff

Hi!

We are sailing to Cozumel (Rhaposody OTS 8/19) and want to go snorkeling in Cozumel with our 6 year old. She can swim and snorkels just fine in the pool. Most of RCCL's tours don't let kids under 8 snorkel, so I'm looking for options.

The tours that RCCL offers that include some snorkeling and don't mention the age restriction are:

Xel-Ha

Mini-Jeep/Outlander

Catamaran Sail, Snorkel & Beach Break

Anyone tried these excursions? Good/bad/ugly?

Any other ideas for a 6 year old to snorkel?

Thanks!

Walk off the ship. Get in a taxi and tell them to take you to Palmar Beach Club, a few miles to the right as you exit the pier onto the beach road. Walk into this unassuming little place (it is someone's house that they opened as a little day hang out) and rent snorkel eqipment (it is good quality, $10 per person). You can also rent a locker for your stuff for a few dollars, and get a drink at their drink stand. You do not have to pay the $8 entrace fee to Palmar to rent snorkel equipment. Walk directly across the street (two lanes) and onto the rocky beach. There are a few chairs there to put your towels on. Walk into the water (there are sandbags over the rocks so you can safely walk in) and start snorkeling. This area is next to Dzul-Ha, and is the best beach snorkeling on the island. The snorkel ships come here and their customers will be jumping off the baots to snorkel, but if you get there in the morning just after your ship gets in, you'll be fine. And if a ship comes and lets customers out, swim up around them because their guides will be feeding the fish and it attracts them. Taxis come down the old beach road frequently (as it is on the way to Chankanab and other popular places) so when you are done, return the equipment and wait on the side of the road in front of Palmar and a taxi will come along.

We did this just a few weeks ago in late June. Great snorkeling, lots of fish, easy to do, safe. Then taxi back to the ship, get cleaned up, and go shopping in Cozumel. Nice day.

Walk off the ship. Get in a taxi and tell them to take you to Palmar Beach Club, a few miles to the right as you exit the pier onto the beach road. Walk into this unassuming little place (it is someone's house that they opened as a little day hang out) and rent snorkel eqipment (it is good quality, $10 per person). You can also rent a locker for your stuff for a few dollars, and get a drink at their drink stand. You do not have to pay the $8 entrace fee to Palmar to rent snorkel equipment. Walk directly across the street (two lanes) and onto the rocky beach. There are a few chairs there to put your towels on. Walk into the water (there are sandbags over the rocks so you can safely walk in) and start snorkeling. This area is next to Dzul-Ha, and is the best beach snorkeling on the island. The snorkel ships come here and their customers will be jumping off the baots to snorkel, but if you get there in the morning just after your ship gets in, you'll be fine. And if a ship comes and lets customers out, swim up around them because their guides will be feeding the fish and it attracts them. Taxis come down the old beach road frequently (as it is on the way to Chankanab and other popular places) so when you are done, return the equipment and wait on the side of the road in front of Palmar and a taxi will come along.

We did this just a few weeks ago in late June. Great snorkeling, lots of fish, easy to do, safe. Then taxi back to the ship, get cleaned up, and go shopping in Cozumel. Nice day.

The snorkel place described above is called Dzul Ha. It is a separate operation and if you use their chairs/tables, you will be expected to buy some food/drinks from them. The snorkeling there is probably some of the better shore snorkeling in Cozumel and you don't have to pay for the ship's excursion to go there.

I think that for the most part CruiseCritic members tend to avoid the ship's excursions if there is alternative.

The area immediately across the street from PalMar is not Dzul Ha. There is no sign, no tables, no palapa, no one there to pay even if you wanted to. Just two green plastic chairs.

Last summer DD was 4. We were on the Rhapsody (July 23rd ish). She was a good swimmer and snorkler. We went on the Fury Catamaran. DD had a GREAT time. She snorkeled off saying " See you later Alligator!" She did great and loved the beach time, too. We booked through RCCL online. I did not know that they had an 8 year old minimum. They never said it and I never read it anywhere. I see an age minimum on the Carnival site as we are going on the Conquest in December. I e-mailed Fury and they said each cruise line has their own rules and they just load up the catamaran and go. If you can, take Fury. And go early as the afternoon trips are more boose oriented

Thanks Ballerinamom! Just checked the Fury's website and you are right, it doesn't say anything about age limits (except that kids get 1/2 off if you don't book through the cruise line!) I also emailed them just to be sure, but it looks good!

Thanks!

Is the snorkeling at Dzul Ha (Palmar Beach Club) better than Chankanaab National Marine Park?
Yes, the Dzul-Ha area is better, however Chankanaab has deposited items to find in their waters. I think a 6 year old would enjoy Chankanaab park more because it is a park intended for children, however the admission is about $16 I think for an adult.

Archived