HELP! St. Therese Shrine or Gastineau Hatchery

Lulley766

We have finally found an 8+ passenger van (thanks to all who posted suggestions - we went with M&M Tours). Now the question is what to see in three hours. It's a given - Mendenhall, City Tour, etc. The tour company has suggested the Shrine of St. Thererese, but I am hesitant. I would hate to drive all the way to see a church, since none of us are overly religious. I would rather go to see the salmon hatchery. Can anyone offer any insights or suggestions for a choice of the 2, since I'm not sure time will allow both. Any other thoughts are welcome as well.

As always, thanks to all who take the time to help!

Cheers!

We are renting a car next week in Juneau to go to the Shrine and hopefully Glacier Gardens, etc. etc. You can probably do both the hatchery and the Shrine unless you are also spending lots of time at Mendenhall Glacier. The Shrine area is the attraction, not necessarily the church. When we were there a few years ago there was a small but running stream, and the salmon were trying so hard to get up it. It was fascinating, but we were also there later in the season - end of August - so you might inquire of your guide about the liklihood of seeing them when you are there. Assuming the salmon are running, it is my understanding that you can see the fish ladder at the hatchery without actually paying and going inside. The shrine is in a beautiful setting. Your driver should be able to guide you according to your time limits. Have a great day in Juneau!

Thanks Bucky! I hope you have a wonderful time in Juneau. I'm jealous, as it can't come fast enough for me. Please let me know what you think of the glacier gardens when you return. We're trying to keep a budget (ha!- we passed that loonnnnnngggg time ago)!!! I just want the rest of the group to see the salmon heading upstream, which I thought was fascinating. Enjoy your vacation!

We have finally found an 8+ passenger van (thanks to all who posted suggestions - we went with M&M Tours). Now the question is what to see in three hours. It's a given - Mendenhall, City Tour, etc. The tour company has suggested the Shrine of St. Thererese, but I am hesitant. I would hate to drive all the way to see a church, since none of us are overly religious. I would rather go to see the salmon hatchery. Can anyone offer any insights or suggestions for a choice of the 2, since I'm not sure time will allow both. Any other thoughts are welcome as well.

Cheers!

If I'm remembering correctly...:p I believe the Shrine of St. Theresa is included in the M & M Tour.

Hope you have a Great Adventure !

Without going back to your other post, it seems I remember some discussion about WHICH M&M tour you were contacting. Is this the number you used to book with them: 443-822-9988?? Thinking we just might contact them so we wouldn't have to drive, but I know we're pretty late to make these last minute arrangements. Just thought I'd give it a try! When are you going? We will be back July 30th, so I can post then about our experience which will probably be independently, but we'll see. Thanks, in advance, for your reply!

Bucky,

Yes that is the number. The woman I have been dealing with is Marianne, who's been very nice. I would definitely give her a call or an email (mmcummings1@aol.com). Might be as cheap for you to take a tour with them rather than rent a car and drive yourself. They quoted us $35 (plus tax) per person for a 3 hour tour for a private group of 8, and will take us wherever we would like. Never hurts to ask is my theory... I'm sure they will be able to accomodate you in one form or another. We will be in Juneau on August 15th on the Noordam.

Good luck.

Cheers!

when are you going? If late August and early September, you will have a good chance to see salmon run at the creek next to the shrine. Be warned though, the rotten fish smell is very strong. :D This way, you got to see the salmons in their natural habitat

We will be in Juneau on August 15th. Maybe we will luck out and get to see them in the stream. That would be a bonus.

Any luck Bucky in getting a tour? I spoke to them last night on the phone. Everyone I have dealt with seems very nice.

We will be in Juneau on August 15th. Maybe we will luck out and get to see them in the stream. That would be a bonus.

Any luck Bucky in getting a tour? I spoke to them last night on the phone. Everyone I have dealt with seems very nice.

we were in Juneau on 9/4 last year. There are tons of Salmon at the creek next to Shrine, almost like traffic jam out there. You may want to talk to the MM tour guide to confirm there will be a salmon run in mid of August.

I e-mailed MM and received a nice response, but I don't think it will work for us. We are trying to cram a lot into a short afternoon, and it doesn't look like their tour will work for us. I e-mailed back yesterday with a couple more questions but haven't had a response yet. We don't get into Juneau until 1PM.

We have finally found an 8+ passenger van (thanks to all who posted suggestions - we went with M&M Tours). Now the question is what to see in three hours. It's a given - Mendenhall, City Tour, etc. The tour company has suggested the Shrine of St. Thererese, but I am hesitant. I would hate to drive all the way to see a church, since none of us are overly religious. I would rather go to see the salmon hatchery. Cheers!

I'm glad it worked out! They sounded like they would provide personal service, always a plus.

I'm extremely prejudice towards the Shrine and I'm a godless heathen. :D When I was a kid, and we'd drive past the Shrine on our 'country drives' I'd ask my parents who those people were, way out in the middle of nowhere and my parents said, Catholics. Knowing nothing about religion I assumed for years that being Catholic meant gathering out on the beach. ;)

In favor: It's a chance to see the 'real' Alaska, remote, isolated, yet overwhelmingly beautiful. You'll discover just how quiet Alaska is, far from the throbbing boat engines and thumping tourist feet. The Chapel itself is small but a lovely building made by hand. The spot makes me think of what I assume Ireland is like; a verdant tiny island, moss-covered stone church, and the haunting chatter of crows. Shiver-inducing. At the same time, there's a very good chance of seeing wildlife, whether passing whales or sea lions chasing salmon, bears in the creeks, eagles in the trees.

Yes, the facility was created for Catholic worship, but I think anyone can appreciate the setting for their own connection to whatever power they understand. (How New Agey of me!) Yes, there are a few things there that don't jibe with my philosophy but such is life.

The Rosary Walk has lovely landscaping and great views. Offerings at places like the labyrinth or the alter at the Columbarium are very Alaskan: blueberries in a clam shell for example, instead of a flickering candle. In my mind, a visit is a unique experience.

And the hatchery is very nice. ;) I haven't been there since they opened some new aquarium tanks and the touching pool, but it's a great chance to see what's under all that water!

Tee Harbor,

Thank you for a very thoughtful and insightful response. Having been raised Catholic (via the Penguin Patrol in school) I too tend to sit on the heathen bench also. But, alas this is not a forum for that! We will take the advice given here and see the shrine. With fingers, toes, and eyes crossed the salmon will be running. It really is a sight to see for we Northerners!

Cheers!

Archived