Canada/New England Excursions?

pef04

Well, I haven't cruised on the Spirit to Canada but I have gone there on a cruise before (with Carnival). I know that in one area of Canada (Halifax maybe?) they offered the Titanic tour. Its bascially a historical tour. You go to the Titanic museum and visit a cementary and some other things. Its a little morbid but I found it to be interesting :) I think whale watching is big in those areas too...I may be mistaken.

If your visiting Cape Breton ( sydney) The best places to go are Baddeck home of Alxander G. Bell located on the Bras D'or Lakes a one hours drive from sydney one way, but well worth it. Do part of The Cabot Trail truely one of the 8 wonders of the world. Or try louisbourg located 1/2 hour drive from sydney its a french fort in the year of 1744 just before the english came up and kicked their butts for the first time. Its also a must see when here on Cape Breton Island. I woiuld suggest a local tour company to take you around and They are Tartan Tours located in Sydney wither email them @ tartantours@hotmail.com or call them

902 578 4501. They relly know how to treat there customers. :)

If your visiting Cape Breton ( sydney) The best places to go are Baddeck home of Alxander G. Bell located on the Bras D'or Lakes a one hours drive from sydney one way, but well worth it. Do part of The Cabot Trail truely one of the 8 wonders of the world. Or try louisbourg located 1/2 hour drive from sydney its a french fort in the year of 1744 just before the english came up and kicked their butts for the first time. Its also a must see when here on Cape Breton Island. I woiuld suggest a local tour company to take you around and They are Tartan Tours located in Sydney wither email them @ tartantours@hotmail.com or call them

902 578 4501. They relly know how to treat there customers. :)

What do you think of this four hour tour, which is one of our ship's tours?

Ciad Mile Failte - A Hundred Thousand Welcomes await you. Nova Scotia is Latin for New Scotland and nowhere is this more evident than on Cape Breton Island. This picturesque excursion takes you to the very Heart of Cape Breton Island. The route includes some of the Island's most dynamic scenery, weaving a route through rugged countryside, touching the shores of the famous Bras d'Or Lakes. Known as the Great Inland Sea (the lakes are salt-water) the Bras d'Or region is a major breeding ground for the bald eagle and other exotic wildlife. As your tour progresses, you'll stop at the geographical center of Cape Breton Island, Hectors' Point, Iona and visit the Nova Scotia Highland Village, a 50-acre historical site overlooking the Bras d'Or Lakes. Take a chronological journey through 180 years of Cape Breton’s Scottish architecture, hosted by costumed staff trained in conversational Gaelic and local history. Here you will view a full-size replica of a Scottish Blackhouse, the original one-room structure occupied by the first Scottish settlers in the region, and the only one of its kind in North America. A hilltop panoramic view offers a beautiful blend of land, sky and water. Enjoy tea or coffee and oatcakes before returning to your ship. Note: There is a fair amount of walking at the Highland Village. However, the tour is very scenic and if you wish, you can enjoy the views from the motorcoach and the visitors Centre. Tea or coffee is served at Highland Village.

We are on the Oct 4th sailing of the NCL Dawn. We are only in Sydney for 7 hours... is this enough time to do the Cabot Trail? I've been doing some reading and it seems like it may be too long a trip to make in the time we have. We signed up for the excursion to the fortress, but that is not my preferred day trip.:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I took the 5 day cruise from New York to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick two years ago and are going again, leaving on Labor Day. You want to make sure you visit Peggy's Cove and the Citadel in Halifax. Fundy Bay is fantastic in St. John, New Brunswick. Enjoy your trip

We did a 10 day on NCL Crown a couple of years ago with the following ports:

Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Quebec City, Boston.

I did not check to see what your itinerary is, but let me share our thoughts.

We did NO ship excursions, and in retrospect the only change we would have made would have been to do an excursion in Sydney (the town had nothing to offer).

Halifax is a wonderful walking city with a beautiful harbor. Boston is very public transportation friendly, once you get away from the harbor. Bar Harbor has terrific bus service that will take you through Acadia National Park.

And Quebec is the most enchanting town on Earth (our humble opinion).

As always, just an opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

If your in sydney i'll give you some suggestions and times, cabot trail the ships tour does this in 8 hours i'd have to say thats the turbo tour i don't think you will see what your entileted to see was too fast and herded like cattle. sydney to louisbourg is worth the 1/2 hour drive as for the ships highland village tour it sounds nice with the proper history, its lacated one hour outsidee sydney and ids worth the drive for sure. it would be up to you wheather you would like to do it with 44 other people. In my view the ships tour give you a view of these places they want you too see in a limited amount of time beleive me when I say you need more time and at your own pace. Try a local tour company located in sydney they can give you a mush better experience i use Tartan Tours @ tartantours@hotmail.com or call them at 902 578 4501:)

Archived