Passports

maelisch

1. were able to take advantange of a REALLY great deal on tickets to Milan when she was 4.5YO (she STILL talks about that trip) and an excellent deal on a Greek cruise this fall.

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I always see last minute travel deals and think, Man, if only my kids had passports. There are so many non-cruise uses. Thanks.

Well I won't say it's a waste.

1. Speed is an issue with a toddler

2. I am sure I will go to Canada again and neither my husband nor son have gone. (supposed to go for our honeymoon but I won't talk about that)

Nobody better tell my husband, but what am I supposed to do the change was made after we ordered his passport.

Yes the date has been pushed back - because so many people are applying for one because you DO need it for air travel. Why wait? You'll just have to do it next year so why stress.

When we did my grandson's passport he was only a year old and we had trouble finding someone to take his picture. Passport office (at the local post office that takes adult pictures) told us to go to someplace like JC Penny's that does them and takes pictures of kids. They told us to go to the passport office.

Who did it? COSTCO.... cheapest place to get the pictures done anyway. We got down on the floor (so you couldn't see us) and held him up and his picture turned out great. We have traveled 3 times to Canada with him and each time we were asked for his passport.

I had no problem getting the passport off in the City Hall in the Mall to take his picture (The City next door has 2 city halls one location is actually in a shopping mall). None of the passport locations in the post offices around me he take pictures. I used a post office location for mine because the City Hall location costs $30 additional, but I thought that my son could run around with my husband while I waited in line. They put him in a swivel stool (not exactly safe) and I got bellow him to hold him and the stool steady.

I would expect you to be asked for a passport for Canada as I believe it that is required now for auto and airline border crossings now.

Me, DH and DS all got passports this year. DS and DHs was new and took about 12 weeks. Mine was a renewal with a name change and it took about 16 weeks. We had all of our pics taken at CVS. DS was only 9 months when we had his pic taken and even now that he is 12 months his picture looks alot differnt than he does. It will look was different when he is 5 and the passport expires. We plan to continue cruising so figured we might as well get the new passports out of the way.

It took 15 weeks and 2 days! We are out of Los Angeles.

Oh well, at least it came. Luckily for us, the laws changed on June 8 and we were able to get on flights to Canada and on our cruise to Alaska. We used his birth certificate and a printout from the Passport Office website saying his passport application was being processed.

Having a passport would have been more convenient since all web check-in's for our flights required passport numbers. So we had to wait in line for normal check-in's.

So if you only have 3 months, I would pay the extra $$ and use the expedite service.

BTW, you can sign up at the passport website for email notification. I was notified on 7/28 by email that my son's passport had been mailed and its estimated time of arrival is 8/1, but we received it a day early.

It took 15 weeks and 2 days!

Thank you for giving me a time frame. :) You applied before me I applied for my sons in June. I did my name change last October (I procrastinated) for my December cruise as expedited would you believe that I think I got it back in a week.

So hopefully I should get my son's back by October (when the 15 weeks would fall) or November so I can fill out the web form before the cruise. You know I shouldn't have believed the 12 weeks and just have paid for expedited just so I didn't have to worry. I know I don't need it but it would just be easier.

New thread should be does anybody have problems when their kids don't look like their passport pictures anymore?:D

• 2 weeks later...
A little noted outcome of this announcement is that the proposed ruling puts in a PERMANENT exception for US citizens traveling RT from a US port to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean or Bahamas. Those trips will be allowed with just a BC and DL, no passport required.

What does this actually state? I don't see anything about a permenent exception....I guess I missed it...I just saw the Summer 2008???? I am really confused!!!:confused:

It states that there is an exception for cruise passengers whose cruise start and ends in a U.S. port. Those passengers will be allowed to cruise with a BC and a valid goverment issued photo I.D.

Ok - it's probably right in front of my face, but I don't see anything about that. Can you say where it is exactly in that link?

I do see this:

WHTI Land and Sea Transition: Beginning Jan. 31, 2008, DHS plans to begin initial elements of WHTI implementation at land and sea ports of entry by ending the routine practice of accepting oral declarations alone. At that point, U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children in January, whereby children ages 15 and younger would be required to present certified copies of their birth certificates. Groups of U.S. and Canadian children ages 16 through 18, traveling with public or private school groups, religious groups, social or cultural organizations or teams associated with youth athletics organizations would also be able to enter, under adult supervision, with certified copies of their birth certificates.

WHTI Land and Sea: At a date to be determined by the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of State, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The implementation date will be determined based on a number of factors, including the progress of actions undertaken by the Department of Homeland Security to implement the WHTI requirements and the availability of WHTI compliant documents on both sides of the border. DHS and State expect the date of full WHTI implementation to be in the summer of 2008. The precise implementation date will be formally announced with at least 60 days notice.

...which would seem to support what everyone has said - Summer 2008, with 60 day notification, although it does appear that passports may not be required for younger children.

Ok - it's probably right in front of my face, but I don't see anything about that. Can you say where it is exactly in that link?

I do see this:

WHTI Land and Sea Transition: Beginning Jan. 31, 2008, DHS plans to begin initial elements of WHTI implementation at land and sea ports of entry by ending the routine practice of accepting oral declarations alone. At that point, U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children in January, whereby children ages 15 and younger would be required to present certified copies of their birth certificates. Groups of U.S. and Canadian children ages 16 through 18, traveling with public or private school groups, religious groups, social or cultural organizations or teams associated with youth athletics organizations would also be able to enter, under adult supervision, with certified copies of their birth certificates.

WHTI Land and Sea: At a date to be determined by the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of State, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The implementation date will be determined based on a number of factors, including the progress of actions undertaken by the Department of Homeland Security to implement the WHTI requirements and the availability of WHTI compliant documents on both sides of the border. DHS and State expect the date of full WHTI implementation to be in the summer of 2008. The precise implementation date will be formally announced with at least 60 days notice.

...which would seem to support what everyone has said - Summer 2008, with 60 day notification, although it does appear that passports may not be required for younger children.

The departments have also identified unique circumstances for specific groups of travelers that warrant permitting the use of alternative documents.

• U.S. citizens on round trip cruise ship voyages that originate and end in the United States may present a government-issued photo ID and birth certificates, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under 16 as well as children ages 18 and under traveling in designated groups may present certified copies of their birth certificates. U.S. children may also present Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization.
  • Alien Members of the U.S. Armed Forces and Members of NATO-Member Armed Forces may present military identification and official orders.
  • Members of the Kickapoo Band of Texas and Tribe of Oklahoma may present the Form I-872 American Indian Card

The departments have also identified unique circumstances for specific groups of travelers that warrant permitting the use of alternative documents.

• U.S. citizens on round trip cruise ship voyages that originate and end in the United States may present a government-issued photo ID and birth certificates, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under 16 as well as children ages 18 and under traveling in designated groups may present certified copies of their birth certificates. U.S. children may also present Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization.
  • Alien Members of the U.S. Armed Forces and Members of NATO-Member Armed Forces may present military identification and official orders.
  • Members of the Kickapoo Band of Texas and Tribe of Oklahoma may present the Form I-872 American Indian Card

Ok, so this means what???:confused: We will NEVER need a passport for a cruise??? :confused: OR, they will let us know sometime (giving 60 days notice, of course????):confused: SORRY, I am so confused! :eek:

Ok, so this means what???:confused: We will NEVER need a passport for a cruise??? :confused: OR, they will let us know sometime (giving 60 days notice, of course????):confused: SORRY, I am so confused! :eek:
As long as you depart from/return to a U.S. port, you can cruise without a passport--for now. However someday soon, probably not long after the passport backlog and associated uproar dies down, every U.S. citizen will need it for foreign travel. So stop worrying and getting all confused as to when and where you need your passport, and just get your passport!

As long as you depart from/return to a U.S. port, you can cruise without a passport--for now. However someday soon, probably not long after the passport backlog and associated uproar dies down, every U.S. citizen will need it for foreign travel. So stop worrying and getting all confused as to when and where you need your passport, and just get your passport!

LOL~OK, OK, SORRY!!!!:o I HAD PLANNED ON IT ANYWAY!!!!:eek: Actually, DH & I already have ours :D but I was planning on getting the kids' at the begining of the year for our next cruise (the kids' first)! :o Thanks for the clarification! I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a "people will never need passports'... sort of thing.....:eek:

LOL~OK, OK, SORRY!!!!:o I HAD PLANNED ON IT ANYWAY!!!!:eek: Actually, DH & I already have ours :D but I was planning on getting the kids' at the begining of the year for our next cruise (the kids' first)! :o Thanks for the clarification! I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a "people will never need passports'... sort of thing.....:eek:
I agree with you that this thread only serves to confuse people. The requirements and objectives are clear and well-established: everyone will need a passport to travel. However the deadlines keep getting pushed out, creating exceptions that only serve to buy some people more time and to confuse others. :)

I agree with you that this thread only serves to confuse people. The requirements and objectives are clear and well-established: everyone will need a passport to travel. However the deadlines keep getting pushed out, creating exceptions that only serve to buy some people more time and to confuse others. :)

YEAH!!!! Obviously, confuse ME!!!!!:rolleyes:

Archived