Conquest and wheelchairs

ADB

We are going on the Conquest in October, has anyone had any experience with getting on the tenders in wheelchairs while sailing on the Conquest?

We have gotten him on tenders in the past on different ships, they are never the same from ship to ship, that is why we are interested. He can't leave the chair and walk on the tender.

Once they lifted him over the ship unto the life boat, very scary and never again says my sister. (they were using life boats and not tenders)

We are going on the Conquest in October, has anyone had any experience with getting on the tenders in wheelchairs while sailing on the Conquest?

We have gotten him on tenders in the past on different ships, they are never the same from ship to ship, that is why we are interested. He can't leave the chair and walk on the tender.

Once they lifted him over the ship unto the life boat, very scary and never again says my sister. (they were using life boats and not tenders)

I just got off conquest a couple of weeks ago, and we docked in cozumel, but of course, we tendered in grand cayman. the tender boat was rocking SO much that we had to walk out and then 2 men literally grabbed our arms and helped us into the boat! my mom uses a cane, and there would have been NO way she would have been able to do that since she has bad knees! So you are wondering if he can be lifted into the tender while sitting in the wheelchair? i'm not even sure that the gangplank is wide enough for a wheelchair, and that sounds really dangerous even if it would fit! I'm not sure what the answer is, except maybe to not get off the ship if it is tendered. that tender boat in grand cayman was moving up and down and it was very hard to get on that boat! good luck!

Thank you, it sounds like we will have to take turns and stay on the ship with him...:( I really hate this because he will lose out on this stop. This is the only thing about cruising that we don't like.

Thanks a bunch!!

On our recent trip on the Conquest there we numerous passengers in wheelchairs. The only tender port is of course Grand Cayman, but for the life of me I don't remember if I saw any folks in wheelchairs heading ashore.

The tenders they use are local to Cayman, not the ships own lifeboats. They were very large. The day we were there the water was very calm and getting on and off the tender was very easy. Perhaps the conditions will be the same for you and yours...

Its going to depend on the water when you get to the Grand Caymam. We were on the conquest in May of last year, and we tendered into Cozumel...Water was actually too rough to get to GC so the ship skipped it. there was a little 90 year old couple on the ship that was the CENTER of ALL entertainment..they were great. He was ina wheelchair..and we were right behind them when they got onto the tender boat from Conquest and then back onto Conquest from the tender boat....they had no problems....so its just going to depend on the weather and the water....but now I believe that Conquest is docking into Cozumel..so the only place of worry would be GC....dont QUOTE me on that though! LOL...good luck...TTYL!

Archived