What Not to Take

cruiserdru

Personally, I stay away from the bungee cords and chances are you won't need it anyway. I know someone who was using one at home to help secure something and it came undone and snapped back at her - right through her sunglasses and into her eye, and yes, she did lose the eye. Not worth it, by any stretch of the imagination.

The packaged snacks have always come in handy for us, usually if we're going to spend the day at the beach or just tooling around. Some ports won't let you off with food or drinks that are not prepackaged and closed. So, that's something to consider....

Never needed a night light or a fan. I tried the over the door hanging shoe holder (for everything else), and it did come in handy. Leave purses at home, and take something smaller that will hold the few items needed (money, credit cards, lipstick).

tigre

I have never needed the duck tape or power cord. The flashlight did come in handy for the closet on our last cruise. It was so dark. I took a shoe bag once. It was handy. however I found that the only door we could hang it on was the bathroom and the light came on automatically so was on all night or it swayed opened and closed with the waves. Like most of the post I now take half the clothes. I write out a list which consists of everyday including day wear then evening wear. I then figure out from that what I am going to wear each day. I do not follow it to a tea but now I know what I have for each day. Of course shorts etc. are worn multiple times so I just add in the days I figure I am going to wear these shorts. I have found that most balcony doors have a locking mechanism to keep the door open if I had only read the instructions in the first place. I found out on the last day of a cruise many years ago as I tried to secure the door with towels. I have taken a travel iron many times to find out I never use it. I pack all my clothes in tissue paper which stops wrinkling. I take binoculars with me to look at islands and the sea. Don't use them that much but is nice to have just incase.

I love this thread...we leave in the morning for the Sapphire PRincess to Alaska and I'm heading upstairs to take out half of what I've packed. I have to admit though that a lot of what is packed are the battery chargers, etc for digital cameras and laptop. Only taking laptop to download pics from 2 digital cameras each night... And I dont' care if my tablemates remember that I wore the same dress both formal nights...after all, my DH is wearing the same tux!!

I can tell you that my 18 year old cousin brought 10 pairs of shoes with her last time. Yeah, 10!!! She had different flips for every swim suit she brought. Insane! Highly unnecessary if you ask me, but then I'm a guy. AND she was able to get all of her stuff into one gigantic suitcase, so I didn't really care.

Anywho, we like to bring a full size iron because those travel things are worthless (IMO). When ya have 4 peeps sharing an interior cabin, things are bound to get wrinkled and it's well worth the room it takes to pack!

...ohhh you asked what NOT to take. oops...

What not to take, jrtmouse? That iron! Your cabin steward will impound it until the end of your cruise if he/she finds it - they're considered serious fire hazards. There are laundry facilities on every deck with irons. Save your weight allowance for cool stuff to bring back!

[quote name='Ethel5']:) Our 18th cruise is coming up in October and I have never found a need for:
Duct Tape
Power strips
Coffee Pots
Over the door shoe holder pockets thingys
Fans

Enjoy yourself and relax![/QUOTE]
[center][color=darkorange]Hmmmh.....I took Duct tape, a power strip and an over the door shoe organizer thingy and used them all and it was only my first Cruise! I also took a 6 ft. inflatable Palm Tree & a 99 cent pump, so that'll tell you where I'm coming from...[/color][/center]
[center][color=darkorange][/color] [/center]
[center][color=darkorange]What I didn't need was: EXTRA CLOTHES. I never ran out. I should have taken 3 pairs of shorts, but took 5, I should have taken 3 shirts, but took 5 and so on... You can wash things fairly easily without taking up much time![/color][/center]
[center][color=darkorange] [/color][/center]

Archived