Freedom, Miracle or Glory - any input appreciated

LynnTH

Hi all. Looks like we will be taking a cruise the week before Easter next year. (Was going to go in Feb but the In-laws decided they are taking the entire family to Montana Skiing so we are taking the kids out of school for that and don't want to take them out again for the cruise - so, we are stuck going during their spring break)

It will be Me, my DH and my DS9 and DD6 on the cruise. DH and I have cruised before on RCCL and NCL (kids have not cruised before). Looking at itineraries and pricing these cruises look like the top 3 contenders.

The Freedom, which is the newest of the ships is doing the Western Caribbean. The Miracle is doing the Southern with stops in St. Maarten, St. Kitts and St.Lucia. and the Glory is doing the Eastern.

Any input on any of these ships - especially the kids clubs would be great. Thanks.

Here is my input...which is not a lot of help cause ive never been on any of those three ships, but have read reviews on all three so maybe I can help some..If it were me, I would be on the Miracle in a heartbeat...its an AWESOME looking ship...look up picture of the ship..the decor is great..especially for kids your age...A lot of it is themed off super heroes..alice in wonderland..stuff like that...Sounds corny...but look at it and you will think differently...i am 27, maried, no kids, and love a little elegance on my vacations, but would go on the Miracle in a snap if I had the chance. JUST for the ship, not to mention three awesome stops...Good Luck on the choice...and whatever it is..youll have a good time!

I was in your shoes about 21/2 yrs ago. taking my sons at the time 10 and 13 on there first cruise. We did our planning as a family with my DH and I making the final decisions.

We knew we were going with Carnival, the kids wanted the newest/biggest boat (Valor at the time) so that narrowed it down. We then looked at ports of call, where each wanted to go and what we could do there. We also had a few choices and Valor ended up winning.

So you have it to 3...all three are pretty new ships and large. Take this into consideration, Miracle's capacity is about 600 less than the other 2 and she is the same size. thats a plus.

Of the decor...Miracle is by far the best and most child friendly.

I just came off the Glory last week...she has a color theme and I found it to not have the pizazz that some of the other ships have.

So I would look at your ports...is there anyplace you are dying to go, where have you been that you want to go back to or avoid?

To me Southern Carib is always the best choice, however St thomas is my fav port, my kids loved grand caymen. Keep in mind that the Miracle will have 4 days at sea...I think it is hard to keep the kids entertained that long on the ship. Decisions decisions...... look at what interests you and see where that leads you, your children are still small so long days in port or big shore excursions may not interest you. If you think you may need to return to the ship midday..avoid ports that tender(grand caymen) it will make it more difficult to come and go or ships that port on the edge of towns where you will require transportation to get back(st thomas...$4pp each way) Some have been alittle worried about safety in Jamaica.

go to each port on this site for some addl help before you book...

Oh and be prepared for the kids to want to go again, mine did!

on Glory in Sept. My kids loved camp carnival on Miracle (they were almost 3, 6, and 11 at the time). One day, I asked the 6 YO if she wanted to go to the beach and she said no she wanted to stay in CC.

As for ports, I have done Eastern back in 1981 as a child and 1990 on RC for my honeymoon. Celebration was Bahamas and Key West, Miracle was Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Beliza. We are going eastern on Glory in Sept. Personally I prefer the eastern over western. You can't donate blood for a year after going to Belize and Costa Maya, so when I found that out when we got back, I was worried about what I might have potentially exposed my kids too (malaria, should have researched more ahead of time!). I would like to go to Gr Cayman again though.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Still as confused as ever. At first I was leaning towards the Miracle but when I looked at the Port Boards they didn't seem to have as many options. We have done the Eastern Itinerary 3 times (love St. Thomas). I have done the Western about 20 years ago when I was single with a friend - now it's a whole different cruise with kids. My DH has not done the Western. ( he loves St. Thomas also).

So, do we try something new or stick with the same. Also, the Freedom is the newest ship and the Ports have some good things for the kids to do. (Dolphin Swim and Submarine Ride).

I'm sure I'll change my mind another dozen times before I decide. Keep the info coming everyone - it really helps.

A new ship would be really sweet and the dining room on the Miracle is SO purple - my DS hated it. However, the Miracle has move "family" options than the other two. We're on the Glory next week and would have booked a suite, but the only way to have a suite was for my 2 kids (12 DS, 14 DD) to SHARE the double sofa bed - there are no roll-aways available either. I called Carnival to verify. Carnival did suggest the the kids take the twins are DH and I sleep on the double sofa - are you kidding me??? The single sofa sleeper and upper options are available in the inside, OV and standard balcony only.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Still as confused as ever. At first I was leaning towards the Miracle but when I looked at the Port Boards they didn't seem to have as many options. We have done the Eastern Itinerary 3 times (love St. Thomas). I have done the Western about 20 years ago when I was single with a friend - now it's a whole different cruise with kids. My DH has not done the Western. ( he loves St. Thomas also).

So, do we try something new or stick with the same. Also, the Freedom is the newest ship and the Ports have some good things for the kids to do. (Dolphin Swim and Submarine Ride).

I'm sure I'll change my mind another dozen times before I decide. Keep the info coming everyone - it really helps.

I think you are doing all the right things...research and figure out what the needs of your family are. Figure out what ports have things to do of interest and fit your budget. Then put them in order of favs. Then try and match them to one of the ships. I tend to pick iteneraries of places we have not been or to repeat ports that we loved. Sometimes certain ports are packaged together and you get one you dont care for. That just happened to me...we knew we had to drive, Im in Ohio so mid Fla is as far as I'm driving, so I searched all ports north from Tampa/Port Cav. We ended up picking Glory out of PC on eastern. My DH has been to Nassau, me twice. We both have been to St T twice. St Martin was new to both of us and of course all the ports were new to my kids. This cruise didnt have the WOW for me and I think its becouse Glory wasnt ..over the top like alot of ships and becouse Ive been to these ports so many times.

Cruising with family is very different that as a couple...dont forget you are going to do all your costs x4....that adds up really quick. A Dolphin swim or sub ride will cost a chunk of change, if you really want that then you might look at ports that will allow you to get around cheap or have easy beach access to mix up what you do and not bankrupt you.

I gurantee the kids will have fun no matter what ship/ports/activities you do, as it is new to them. When you have nothing to compare it to it is the "BEST". Its when you take them the 2nd time that you will be posed with....should we do this or this?????

Just keep reading the boards, getting cost saving tips, must see ports, ship reviews etc...sometimes this gets overwhelming, but I tell you I have learned so much on this site and it has saved me alot of money and confusion when I arrive in a port.

We've been on the Glory, Valor and Victory (2x's) and are booked on the Freedom for the same Spring break as you - March 15th. I too love the new ships and can't wait - only 240 more days to go! The boards are the only thing keeping me sane till then. The Glory was great. We sailed her last year. Sorry I can’t help you with the Miracle but I’ve read many, many good things about her on the boards.

The Southern itinerary sounds great though! Have fun choosing.

One more thing........We did the Dolphin swim in Ocho Rios and had a fabulous time and were thinking about it again for next year but found out that children have to be at least 8 yrs. old. So you may want to check on that also.

I'd say pick the itinerary you like best. For your children's ages carnival has great kids groups. We have sailed both the miracle and the glory. My kids are older, and enjoyed the glory. They didn't come with us on the miracle but would've been bored out of their minds on that ship because we sailed during a non school holiday period. Sailing during school vacation weeks is totally different. We are going back to rccl because they offer much more for our older (18+) kids. Overall we always felt carnival had the best kids clubs for our children when they were young. My kids always loved camp carnival.

One more thing........We did the Dolphin swim in Ocho Rios and had a fabulous time and were thinking about it again for next year but found out that children have to be at least 8 yrs. old. So you may want to check on that also.

We would only do the Dolphin Encounter - I believe you can be 6 to do that as you are not actually swimming with them (and it is much cheaper). Those tours can really add up - especially when we are talking about 4 people instead of 2.

So,many decisions so little time. I really want to pick the ship and book it hopefully by next week. I know the time slot we are going is very busy so want to get it booked. I noticed airfare is extremely pricey during that time period also. Oh well...

We would only do the Dolphin Encounter - I believe you can be 6 to do that as you are not actually swimming with them (and it is much cheaper). Those tours can really add up - especially when we are talking about 4 people instead of 2.

So,many decisions so little time. I really want to pick the ship and book it hopefully by next week. I know the time slot we are going is very busy so want to get it booked. I noticed airfare is extremely pricey during that time period also. Oh well...

The travel industry knows when and how to get us....this last cruise was my first in the summer as it is getting hard to take the kids out of school and the price was insane...really no break for the 3/4th passenger not to mention the regular price was easily $150+ more pp. We ended up getting 2 staterooms since the kids were only going to be $50 less pp than the DH and I...it was worth the $100. You are looking to go right as the Spring Break season starts....do you have to go then? With a 6 and 9 yr old missing a week of school isnt that hard to make up...May is a great time to cruise. I know everyone has pretty strong feelings about either taking or not taking there kids out of school.

Your right on your tours...costly. research your ports to find out some cheap options as well, also I use locals for excursions and save quite a bit. Never had a problem

The travel industry knows when and how to get us....this last cruise was my first in the summer as it is getting hard to take the kids out of school and the price was insane...really no break for the 3/4th passenger not to mention the regular price was easily $150+ more pp. We ended up getting 2 staterooms since the kids were only going to be $50 less pp than the DH and I...it was worth the $100. You are looking to go right as the Spring Break season starts....do you have to go then? With a 6 and 9 yr old missing a week of school isnt that hard to make up...May is a great time to cruise. I know everyone has pretty strong feelings about either taking or not taking there kids out of school.

Your right on your tours...costly. research your ports to find out some cheap options as well, also I use locals for excursions and save quite a bit. Never had a problem

Originally I had planned on going sometime in February before Spring Break Starts and taking the kids out of school. But, My In-laws decided they want to take (and pay for) the entire family to go on a train to Montana and go skiiing for a week in January. So, I will have to take the kids out of school for that and don't want to take them out another week a month later. So, looks like Spring Break it is (and of course this is the only year they have had spring break at Easter time - figures...)

Archived