Embarrassing question about cave tubing

ottergirl

I've seen pictures of the cave tubing, and it seems much of it is outside with rocky areas surrounding. Then I've seen pictures with the helmet lights. I want to experience this excursion, but I am a bit phobic about being in enclosed spaces. Are you more in the open, or more enclosed in a dark wet space? LOL

I didn't feel the caves were a small enclosure. They were fairly large and roomy.

Although they are large, there are areas of minimal to -0- light and could make you feel a tad enclosed... but not for any great length of time.

If you have a good tour conductor as we did, you will be just fine !

If you have any more questions, feel free to email me fun2cruiz@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

I went on the tubing and I thought it was scary. It was dark the whole way, and my daughter and i (on the same tube) ended up getting into a current that pushed us WAY ahead of everyon else. I didnt know if the black in from of me was a wall or just the darkness!!!!! As we were getting out another current grabbed us and pushed us into a small cave off to the side as the water was rushing all over us. The tour guide had to come save us. The caves are huge though so if enclosures are your only phob, than you should be good to go. I thought it was scary though and I am a high adventure type.

We went a few yrs ago in May which is draught. Our waters were calm, I did a private tour so my guide had my family of 4 along with another couple. We all made a chain with our tubes by hooking our feet into the tube in front of you. At no time did our guide let any of us get away. The lights work so so...caves are large I could always see. It is dark but not pitch black. We all turned our lights off once just to have some fun...now that was scary but fun!

This is one of the best things I have done on my many cruises. It can get alittle cold in there, a t-shirt is not a bad idea. Dont forget your water camera.

I too am NOT a cave person....wouldnt do Mammoth Cave when we went there !!!

That being said.... these caves are not like going underground..... more like a river cutting through a hill....... I know.... technically you are under ground but not going DOWN under ground.

While they are dark.... our guide (cavetubing.com) was awesome.... he had a huge flashlight and we each had small ones on our helmets. The darkness did not last long and we were all hooked together.

I was not afraid at all. Definately in the top five "things" I have done....

Archived