Did you buy ferry tickets to Virgin Gorda in advance?

murphyis1

I've searched all the posts I can find on taking the ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda. It seems everyone who does the baths on their own buys the tickets in Tortola. I'm curious if it's possible to buy them in advance. I guess my main concern is that the ferry time I want may be sold out by the time I get to the ticket counter. Any insight from someone who's been there? Thanks!

Murphy

Murphy,

There were 2 ships in port each time we were in Tortola. If you arrive at the ferry even 15 minutes beforehand, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a ticket. I have yet to sail on a full ferry. I've taken the ferry roundtrip to Virgin Gorda twice. Each time they were not more than 50% full (to or from Virgin Gorda). While it is always possible what you fear may happen (perhaps if there are more than 2 ships in port) it isn't likely.

And don't worry about the folks that sign up for the ship excursion --- they charter their own ferry that looks just like the one you are going on. The major difference is they will pay almost double what you pay and they will spend less time at the Baths.

No worries. It's an awesome excursion that you can easily do on your own.

Complete details on the ferrys and Virgin Gorda: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

CaribbeanBound,

Thank you for your reply. I can relax now knowing that the ferries probably won't be full. We will have two ships in port, and our arrival times are spaced apart fairly well. No worries.

Murphy

Archived