Beer - Reduced Alcohol???

Since I am not on a ship right now, I cannot confirm visually, but each beer does have different levels they may produce and distribute, I would not think Carnival would use the 3.2% beer unless they were required by local availability. I would think that the beer sales might suffer if say they had 3.2 Heiniken or 3.2 other brand beer. It is like water IMHO.

RUF

bottled beer is bottled beer, wherever you are...

??? In Kansas, the beer you buy in a grocery/convience store is different (3.2)than what you buy in a liquor store (5.0). In fact, the beer warehouses have to have 2 seperate areas to store the product. Also, wine coolers bought in a grocery store are malt based, while in a liquor store they were (at least a few years ago), wine based.

States have some weird liquor laws. I remember when Ohio had 3.2% for over 18 but under 21, and 7% for 21 and over. On Sunday, only 3.2 was also served. Germany has/had "Purity Laws" covering beer brewed to be drank in Germany. Since the 1300's that beer could only contain water, yeast, hops and barley. Not one part per anything of anything else or it could not be called beer. Beer brewed for export could have all the stabilizers and preservatives the brewer wanted. The local beer had up to 33% alcohol. The export stuff had/has whatever the destination allows.

Been on a lot of cruises but have visited a lot more breweries. Sadly now, my system can take cruises better than it can take beer.

Dan

Let's get the bottom of this as I really want to know.

I am from Oklahoma and continually have friends from Texas that complain about our watered down weak beer when they visit. On the other side they always warn me to be careful when we visit them as their beer is stronger and we might get really drunk.

So, anyway I was told that the main difference was the way the alcohol was calculated. For instance, Oklahoma calculates based on 3.2% by volume and Texas is 6.0% by weight. When the 2 are calculated on the same basis they are relatively close in terms of actual alcohol content.

Don't know if there is any truth to this matter but thought I would throw this out there.

Let's get the bottom of this as I really want to know.

I am from Oklahoma and continually have friends from Texas that complain about our watered down weak beer when they visit. On the other side they always warn me to be careful when we visit them as their beer is stronger and we might get really drunk.

So, anyway I was told that the main difference was the way the alcohol was calculated. For instance, Oklahoma calculates based on 3.2% by volume and Texas is 6.0% by weight. When the 2 are calculated on the same basis they are relatively close in terms of actual alcohol content.

Don't know if there is any truth to this matter but thought I would throw this out there.

To convert from %alcohol by weight to %alcohol by volume you divide by .79, which is the density of alcohol relative to water.

3.2% beer by mass is about 4% alcohol by volume, still substantially weaker that the typical mass produced american brew which ranges between 5% and 6%.

Can someone help...a friend of mine said that the beer on the ship has a reduced level of alcohol vs the level of alcohol in Texas beer? Is that true, or are they blowing smoke?????:mad:

Is it really that important?

Germany has/had "Purity Laws" covering beer brewed to be drank in Germany. Since the 1300's that beer could only contain water, yeast, hops and barley. Not one part per anything of anything else or it could not be called beer. Beer brewed for export could have all the stabilizers and preservatives the brewer wanted. The local beer had up to 33% alcohol. The export stuff had/has whatever the destination allows.

One of the many things I miss about Germany Dan. Loves me some German beer:D Sadly, even the crap they sell here doesn't even come close to the real stuff.:rolleyes:

One of the many things I miss about Germany Dan. Loves me some German beer:D Sadly, even the crap they sell here doesn't even come close to the real stuff.:rolleyes:

The reason German beer sold in the USA tastes different than beer sold in Germany is because it has been pasteurized. (thanks FDA :mad: )

The original Reinheitsgebot did not include yeast as yeast's roll was not discovered until the 19th century when the law was amended to add yeast. The role of yeast was discovered by Louis Pasteur, the same guy we have to thank for Pasteurization.

The reason German beer sold in the USA tastes different than beer sold in Germany is because it has been pasteurized. (thanks FDA :mad: )

I know...I lived in GE for several years...did lots and lots of beer studies ;)

I know...I lived in GE for several years...did lots and lots of beer studies ;)

What strikes me as odd is that the pasteurized versions are sold in the local Getränkemarkt labeled "Export", along side the regular stuff. Why would anyone buy the Export?

What strikes me as odd is that the pasteurized versions are sold in the local Getränkemarkt labeled "Export", along side the regular stuff. Why would anyone buy the Export?

Some folks don't like the bitterness of the Pils. There were a few pils I tried that were barf city and I enjoyed the export more.

Even the export "there" is different that what we can get here.:(

Me too... I received my MBA from a German University - Meister of Bier und Anderes

LOL Dude...I knew you looked familiar :p

The only beer I disliked was Radler. :eek: Beer and citrus, whether lemonade in a Radler or a lime wedge in a Corona are anathema to me. Good beer doesn't need fruit! :mad:

LOL...good point.

Miss having a rack delivered to my house too.:(

My 2 cents:

• Unlikely you will find any beer over 15% or so alcohol by volume. Some of the Barleywines approach that, but in many cases they will use champagne yeast as the ale yeast cannot take much over 8-9% ABV. A good German doppelbock, eg. Optimator or Subliminator (my favorite) will usually be anywhere between 8 and 12 percent.
  • Not all bottled beer is pasteurized. Almost all hefeweizen and other bottle conditioned ales (even imported ones) are unpasteurized.
  • Unless regulated by law, beer can range in alcohol from low 3.x percent to high teens (as discussed earlier), but most light beers are under 5% in alcohol due to lower fermentable content (OG).
  • I am not aware of any preservatives used in beer except for the natural preservative effect of higher alcohol and hops in an IPA, for instance. Other "non-Reinheitsgebot" additives, called adjuncts, are rice (budweiser), corn(miller), wheat, and sugars used to impart qualities such as crispness to beer, and to lower costs (rice is cheaper than malted barley).

Hope this comes across as not too beer snobby -- I am a brewer and overall "beer person" who loves to talk beer.:D

My 2 cents:

• Unlikely you will find any beer over 15% or so alcohol by volume. Some of the Barleywines approach that, but in many cases they will use champagne yeast as the ale yeast cannot take much over 8-9% ABV. A good German doppelbock, eg. Optimator or Subliminator (my favorite) will usually be anywhere between 8 and 12 percent.
  • Not all bottled beer is pasteurized. Almost all hefeweizen and other bottle conditioned ales (even imported ones) are unpasteurized.
  • Unless regulated by law, beer can range in alcohol from low 3.x percent to high teens (as discussed earlier), but most light beers are under 5% in alcohol due to lower fermentable content (OG).
  • I am not aware of any preservatives used in beer except for the natural preservative effect of higher alcohol and hops in an IPA, for instance. Other "non-Reinheitsgebot" additives, called adjuncts, are rice (budweiser), corn(miller), wheat, and sugars used to impart qualities such as crispness to beer, and to lower costs (rice is cheaper than malted barley).

Hope this comes across as not too beer snobby -- I am a brewer and overall "beer person" who loves to talk beer.:D

You're a beer snob?:p

Any suggestions for a home brew kit:confused:

Archived