Do I need Canadian?

annis

We used both, with no problems. Sometimes we'd use Canadian, sometimes US, depending on what we had.

Our exchange rate was about 1:1 in most stores, but I got a better rate through the ATM transactions and debit card.

You wont have any problems using US currency there at all. But what you get for exchange may vary and at this point with the US dollar vs Canadian it may be minimal. You can always use a credit card and it will go thru at close to the days exchange.

yes, I used my credit card and us cash and had no problem

We used our credit card for larger purchases or meals, and American dollars for small things. We also took about 150 US bills (mostly ones, fives, and tens) for tips throughout our journey. The exchange is pretty even right now. Whenever I would give the clerks US dollars, they would always tell me that change would be in Canadian. That was fine, because we used it also for tips and only came home with a few Canadian coins. Yes, everyone takes US money.......the only complaint I heard from a few Canadian clerks was that sometimes US folks get mad about rec. Canadian change. I would just say "you know that is just tough and they are just jerks. If you come to our country, I guarantee you, most towns throughout the US will not even take Canadian money and sure the heck would only give you US currency back in change." gg

I think it's more respectful to use candadian money, unless there is a sign or something to that effect saying "yes we take US dollars."

So I took out $100 Can. at the ATM at the airport to use for taxis, small purchases, etc. Otherwise CC works just fine!

Archived