Anyone booked on Ventura yet ?

coxswain

As I understand it, Ventura is a "tweaked" Grand class vessel, similar to Princess' Grand class (same hull, basic superstructure, etc).

On Grand class I think the best standard balconies are on Caribe Deck (Deck 10). The balconies are half covered and half uncovered, which I think is best of both worlds.

The DeLuxe Oceanview cabins are larger than the standard oceanview, and are quite nice.

Some itineraries "scream" for a balcony, others a balcony is not important and perhaps too cold to use often.

I booked blind so to speak, as it was during the first few days of booking and I hadn't read too much about cabin layouts etc. We liked the itinerary and choose the cheapest category of balcony cabin, turns out we ended up in one of the best cabin/ balcony on the coveted C deck.

We booked on the Transatlantic Caribbean next October and have booked an Outside Balcony on Lido Deck as it is near the pools and buffet etc. I think it's a matter of taste but we wanted a balcony but didn't think we needed to pay extra for a Deluxe as we won't need the space. A lot of people have gone for the aft balcony cabins and these are sought after on most ships.

I hope that helps.

Eddie

We have booked an aft inside for Caribbean Feb 2009 on the Riviera deck, we only take a balcony if we get a special offer upgrade and as we travel with a large group we don't use the balcony much especially in the caribbean and when there are so many ports of call.

We have just returned from Hawaii with Celebrity and really liked having a balcony for the light but didn't really use it as much as we had imagined.

Gail

I was wondering, what is the gross tonnage and the length of the P&O Ventura? My father is prone to sea sickness and he wants to know if he will become nauseous, and would like to know if the ship is large enough to spare him any suffering. Thanks :)

I was wondering, what is the gross tonnage and the length of the P&O Ventura? My father is prone to sea sickness and he wants to know if he will become nauseous, and would like to know if the ship is large enough to spare him any suffering. Thanks :)

check out the P&O site they will have all the facts and figures there

http://www.pandocruises.com

If Ventura is a "tweaked" Grand class, she should be in the neighborhood of 115,000GRT, 950ft long.

Although big, the Grand class vessels are not particularly good riders in heavy seas, Force 8 Gale and above.

We were on Golden Princess, 8-02, trans-Atlantic, Venice to New York. West of the Azores, we hit two different Atlantic storms (actually hurricanes out of Florida, dying in the Atlantic). The ship was pitching, and we had bowslap spray raining down onto our balcony on deck 10 (Caribe Deck). The forward elevator cabins could be heard banging about in their shafts. Several windows along Prom Deck shattered while the ship was flexing and fighting for headway. There was a lot of glass damage in the shops and bars. It was fairly rough rough, and we ended up being 6 hrs late into New York.

Ride in heavy seas has a lot to do with hull form and ratio (length/breadth ratio).

In heavy seas I would much prefer to be on the smaller Artemis (former Royal Princess). She takes to heavy seas well, and has a liner-like hull form.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked for next cruise Oct. 10th 2008,Indian Summer cruise. Never been withP&O before only Celebrity and Royal Caribbean,hope this compares favourably. Particularly looking forward to the no flying bit. Such a long time off,may have to look for something early next year. How does P&O compare with the above mentioned cruise lines?

Trying find the best cabins lol

Also not sure whether to spend extra on a Deluxe Stateroom or go with a Outside W/balcony.

Any tips folks ?

jj....

We are just going for outside with balcony. If you get one of the ones with the bigger balconies, i.e. aft you usually get a good size balcony. The only difference with deluxe stateroom seems to be bigger cabin, with two TV's and sitting area. I don't spend much time in cabin anyway, so would be a waste of money for me, personally.

The balconies are 9 x 9 on C deck - bigger than the deluxe (or mini suites as they are called on Princess). They are also half covered and half open as opposed to fully overlooked on D deck (deluxe 9 x 5). Hope that this helps.

Glenda

chyanmor - We too are booked on the mini cruise next September, come join our thread, we are doing the one after this as well.

We were booked on Grand Princess for June just gone but had to cancel, we got a ship visit so got an idea of what Ventura's cabins will be like from the visit, we have gone for a standard balcony, we didnt want people over looking us on the balcony. :)

Archived