What to do around Denali?

goku001

We are a group of 9 : 6 adults, 3 toddlers/babies going to Denali Mid- August. Staying one night at Mckinley Princess lodge, and 3 nights near Denali park entrance at Denali Crows Nest post our cruise on Princess.

Now that the hotels are booked, I'm trying to figure out what to do once we get there. Surprisingly the only thing that seems really essential is the trip to "wonder lake" by the park shuttle.

What do you suggest we can do for the other 2 days? I am not too keen on flightseeing, as budget is limited, and we are already taking a flightseeing trip on the cruise before the land trip (unless you can suggest some cheap options). Are there other excursions within the park you would highly recommend? Options such as Hiking and Whitewater rafting may not work because of the 3 babies/ Toddlers in our group (Not to mention that one lady will be 6 months pregnant).

Furthermore any suggestions on what we can do from Mckinley Princess lodge would be appreciated? Again most options there seem to revolve around flightseeing or horseback riding. (Though there is a wilderness jet boat adventure that looks good... is it worth it? or is there something better?)

Finally, I have read about the toursaver book at many places? And does anyone know if it can be picked up at some stores in Whittier/ Anchorage... or is ordering it online the only option?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Well I started this once then my computer acted up, so here goes again!

I am not sure that traveling all the way to Wonder Lake with three toddlers/infants is the best idea. It is a long ride and not much to keep small kids occupied. Perhaps it is best that part of your group take the shuttle bus one day, and the other part the next day, while those remaining behind take care of the small ones? Having said that, I was on a shuttle bus last year with a couple who had a child probably 3-4 years old and he was very preoccupied with the toys his parents gave him. So it really is hard to say. Note that you are required to have car seats for the kids on the shuttle bus and you must bring your own since the park service and the vendor that operates the shuttles do not provide or rent them.

Besides the shuttle bus and possibly getting off the shuttle bus for a while to hike or if nothing else, just to walk along the road for a while, there are things to do near the park entrance - short hikes, the visitor center, films at both the visitor center and Wilerness Access Center, the sleddog kennels (which might be very interesting for the small ones since they can get close to the dogs).

Near McKinley Princess Lodge you can spend time in Talkeetna - a neat little town with places to shop, eat, walk, etc.

I don't recall hearing that the Toursaver book is available in AK. I have read that the Northern Lights coupon book is available in AK. That book is cheaper than Toursaver though it does not have as many discounts, from what I have read. If you are not familiar with the Northern Lights coupon, do a search on the Alaska board for it.

John

Archived