Debit Cards in China

MikieF

We will be on the Sapphire Princess from Anchorage to Beijing in Sept. Ordinarily when we travel we use our DEBIT cards to get money out of ATM machines. My husband just called our bank (the holder of our Visa Debit Card) to alert them of dates and countries we will visit. As it turns out, our bank DOES NOT allow use of our DEBIT card in China due to the (his words) EXTREME incidende of fraudulent transactions with Debit cards within China. Nor do they allow use in Russia. Just a heads up....if you had intended to use your debit card, contact your bank first and ask their position on this matter.

We will be on the Sapphire Princess from Anchorage to Beijing in Sept. Ordinarily when we travel we use our DEBIT cards to get money out of ATM machines. My husband just called our bank (the holder of our Visa Debit Card) to alert them of dates and countries we will visit. As it turns out, our bank DOES NOT allow use of our DEBIT card in China due to the (his words) EXTREME incidende of fraudulent transactions with Debit cards within China. Nor do they allow use in Russia. Just a heads up....if you had intended to use your debit card, contact your bank first and ask their position on this matter.

Must be a small local bank. Your bank is being overly cautious. Theft and fraud are not very common in China. They are "hanging" offenses. My small local bank in Missouri will not allow withdrawals from China either for about the same reason, but you can't convince them otherwise.

My Chase and Citibank debit cards work at Beijing Bank of China and HSBS in the rest of Asia. Can't you open an small account with debit card privileges at a national bank-Bank of America and Chase both have branches in Missouri.

Theft and fraud not very common in China?

I do not know what part of China you have seen, but in the parts where I live and do business, currency and credit card fraud are the national sports.

It is still illegal for a Chinese National to purchase a color copy machine. The minute they get their hands on one, they start printing their own currency. There is so much counterfeit Chinese currency in circulation that we had to purchase anti-counterfeiting detectors. They were counterfeit as well!!

Most Chinese citizens cannot even get a credit card issued to them - by any bank. They immediately max it out and disappear.

When in Asia, you should do as most Asians do - pay in cash.

Thanks much for both of your comments. I think we'll stick to travelers checks and cash. It is quite possible that we might not be victims of fraudulent usage....but, why take the chance! Thanks!

I do not know what part of China you have seen, but in the parts where I live and do business, currency and credit card fraud are the national sports.

It is still illegal for a Chinese National to purchase a color copy machine. The minute they get their hands on one, they start printing their own currency. There is so much counterfeit Chinese currency in circulation that we had to purchase anti-counterfeiting detectors. They were counterfeit as well!!

Most Chinese citizens cannot even get a credit card issued to them - by any bank. They immediately max it out and disappear.

I agree with the poster, I've travelled a bit in Asia, particularly vietnam and I have only used cash.

The OP needed to know how to get "local" cash in Asia. Getting yuan in the USA is an expensive and time consuming proposition unless you live in a major city. And arriving in China with a wad of US dollars is often not the smartest thing to do.

I was referring to debit card fraud using an ATM. Sorry for not making myself clear. I personally have never had a problem with fraud in Asia using an ATM. Problems using the machines, yes. With actual fraud, no.

I am a frequent Asia business traveler (I just left Vietnam/Cambodia after a 10 day business trip). I ALWAYS use my ATM for cash-for the VERY reason you posted. I only use credit cards for hotels. Pay cash for everything else.

I used my debit card in Beijing with no problems at all--I used it only to get cash from an ATM and paid cash for everything. If this thread had been posted before I went, I might not have done that! :eek:

I'll likely be going to Taipei, Taiwan later this year--is best to use cash there as well?

Thanks!

Jayne

I was in China and Japan, etc. many times.

We found out that as a rule debit cards do not work in ATM. However, we could always have access to cash in local currency withdrawing money from ATMs with the use of our credit cards. There was a flat cost of $5 and to prevent having to pay interest on the 'loan' we always deposit money before we go - a few thousands dollars on the card - so there is no balance and no interest, only a credit and no interest is ever charged. That is what works the best for us. Travellers cheques do not work many places (except on the ship and only for US dollars). Some ships do currency exchanges but the rate they give is brutal.

Louise

I agree with the poster, I've travelled a bit in Asia, particularly vietnam and I have only used cash.

Clarifying my last post, I use ATM machines to draw cash but never use any type of card to pay for purchases in Asia. With bankcards form OZ we neeed to be careful that they can be used in other parts of the world, I know some people have been caught out as the ATM needed to have a cirrus or mastercard symbol for withdrawls.

We traveled for 3 weeks throughout China and used two different ATM/debit cards. One was a Wells Fargo and the other was a local credit union acct. Both belonged to different networks. We paid for everything (including hotel/plane tickets) in cash so we each made numerous withdrawals all over China.

We did only use ATM's at banks and only during banking hours. I brought an extra ATM only card just in case the machine keep my other card. Only once did we have a problem - the ATM's in the Hong Kong airport were out of money.

We also brought USD and exchanged that currency at banks. You can just do that.

Spend all your Yuan. You will not be able to exchange it back to dollars because as everyone has said counterfeiting is rampant.

They call their currency quai (pronounced kwai). Often you might hear for example 50 quai, like we would say 50 bucks.

Two things I would like to ask:

1. Would anyone advise purchasing yaun in the US before leaving?

2. Are American Express Travelers checks readily accepted at Chinese banks?

Would appreciate any help. Going to China, Japan, Vietnam, and Thailand on a cruise in November. Thanks!

Jack

Would appreciate any help. Going to China, Japan, Vietnam, and Thailand on a cruise in November. Thanks!

Jack

1. No. Most US banks don't carry Yuan and would have to special order the currency. We tried every bank in our city before our trip. In Beijing especially on the main drag (Chang Ang Ave?) there are banks everywhere. We stayed at the Beijing Hotel near Tiannamen Square and there was a very large bank across the side street. Just walk into any bank and exchange your US cash for Yuan. Don't worry. You will see it is just like here in many ways.

2. Don't know but I would bet my paycheck the answer is yes because many businesses use AE for their employees accts.. Could call American Express to find out.

TIPS:

I just talked to my vacation buddy and he said that the banks would exchange Yuan back to Dollars or Yen (we went on to Japan) as long as he had the original ATM receipt. *Which is stupid because how would they know it's the same money that came out of the ATM. China is crazy stupid. Don't ask why just follow their rules.

Foreign cigarettes are illegal to sell in China but if you show someone your empty American pack (don't say it outloud because they're paranoid) they will go to the back of the store and fetch you illegal Marlboros from Vietnam then charge you 10 quai with big eyes and a grin as you laugh too because that's only $1.20! LOL!

If you have time make reservations here from home! (Need reservations because the duck takes 24hrs to cook) This restaurant is a little hole in the wall in an old Hutong neighborhood and is world famous. Made Time Magazine! Best peking duck. It was very hard to find but I had pictures of this place that I found on the internet and it showed the name in Chinese. Cab driver took us to the Hutong area ( alleys, no cars) and then a man that I asked for help walked us to the spot.

1026158-Li_Qun_Roast_Duck_Restaurant-Beijing.jpg

Find everything you want to see written out in that countries language on the internet, print it off, then jump in a cab and show it to the driver. In China you will only spend $3.00 to ride all the way across town i.e. Tiannamen Square to the Summer Palace. If you can't find it Chinese print off a location nearby. For instance the best acrobats are located in a theatre down from the Poly Plaza hotel so I printed off Poly Plaza's address in Chinese off their website and the cab took us there and then we walked down to the theatre. Most of Fodor's/Frommer's walking maps have the locations of tourist spots in both English and that countries language.

Chinese are the nicest ppl ever! Japanese not so nice and never helpful. Exactly the opposite of what I thought. We called the Tokyo subway the 7 seven levels of hell http://www.tokyometro.jp/rosen/rosenzu/pdf/rosen_eng.pdf

and it took quite awhile to get a grip on it.

Glad to help with any questions I can answer.

Liz

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions. You went above and beyond and we appreciate the informative remarks and hints.

We are staying at the Bejing Hotel so the bank directions are especially handy.

Karen and Jack

Karen/Jack

Historic hotel, centrally located. Mall across the side street also and up that street are lots of shops with every souvenir imaginable. There is an Outback restaurant in the hotel with a tweeked menu for the Chinese palette! The pedicabs hang out on that corner and also there is a cab station across the street I think. Some areas hailing a cab was a no-no. Had to be waiting at a designated bus stop like place and they will pull in and get you. Red army soldiers patrol the immediate area (for show) outside the original section of the hotel.

DO NOT use the phone. A poor doctor's wife was slumped down in a chair in the lobby as we were checking in and was in trouble with her husband because she used the phone many times trying to get thru the automated airline reservation system to check their flights home and ended up with $400 tacked on their hotel bill.

Great Wall (Changcheng) at Si Ma Tai. (Y32)How to Get There: There are two routes: You can take the coach at Beijing Bus Station in Dong Zhi Men to Miyun County where you change to a minibus that goes direct to the sightseeing spot. Alternatively, there is a No. 12 tourist Bus from the Xuan Wen Men subway stop. An economy class ticket costs 60 RMB and the luxury class costs 70 RMB. Departure times are from 06.00 hours to 08.00 hours.

This is an original section of the Great Wall. Take the subway http://www.beijingmap.us/city/subway/maps/desktops/beijing_subway_map_1600_1200_desktop.jpg to the Xuan Wen Men stop exit northeast and find the Catholic church across the street and just beyond are the tourist buses to take you there. Or for the less intrepid take a cab to the church whose address is 181 Qianmen West St. Xuanwumen area (have the hotel staff write that in Chinese).

Universal Theater Acrobatic Show 19:15-20:30

10 Dongzhimennan Dajie (100m north of Poly Plaza)

6502-3984, 6502-2649

Excellent show. We bought the tix in the morning then went back either the same night or the next, don't remember.

Go visit the Panjiayuan Market (Dirty Market)

Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City (08:30-16:20,Y60), Temple of Heaven (06:00-19:50,Y35), Summer Palace(07:00-16:50,Y35), Lama Temple (09:10-16:00,Y25). These were the prices and hours of operation 2 yrs ago.

Almost forgot: Fill your entire purse with toilet paper and brace yourself for squatter toilets and LOTS of spitting and nose-picking.

Jack

1. American Express and Travelex currency offices are about the only place to get yuan WITHOUT having to special order it.

2. American Express credit cards are widely accepted. Travelers checks in most of Asia (and South America)-forget it. You will almost always have to pay a surcharge (up to 15%) just to get them cashed at banks. And hotels either refuse to take them OR surcharge them so bad, you loose 1/3 of your money. You can cash travelers checks on the ship however. Not the best exchange rate, but less than a lot of places.

I have had luck with the American Express Travel card (like a prepaid gift card). But it was relatively expensive and AE is discontinuing the card as of October 31.

If your ATM is Cirrus or Plus, can be used at Bank of China ATM's. Of course, this is if you own bank will accept withdrawals from China. Lots of small banks won't.

BTW: the spitting and nose-picking comment wasn't a slam against the Chinese. They believe that swallowing saliva is harmful to your health and the pollution sticks in your nostrils and I'm sure food beats out tissue on meager salaries.

Again thanks so much to Liz and greatam for your help and information. It will help us get around, keep our money safe, and stay on the right side of the law!

Karen and Jack

DO NOT use the phone. A poor doctor's wife was slumped down in a chair in the lobby as we were checking in and was in trouble with her husband because she used the phone many times trying to get thru the automated airline reservation system to check their flights home and ended up with $400 tacked on their hotel bill.

Poor woman! :eek:

It's not that way at all hotels. I called home every day from my hotel in Beijing (since my cell didn't work even though my carrier assured me it would--live and learn) and it ended being only $1 a minute.

Cheers!

Jayne

BTW: the spitting and nose-picking comment wasn't a slam against the Chinese. They believe that swallowing saliva is harmful to your health and the pollution sticks in your nostrils and I'm sure food beats out tissue on meager salaries.

LOL! I've never seen so much spitting in my life! Nice to know the reason--I knew it must be cultural but didn't know what was behind it!

Thanks!

Jayne

• 3 weeks later...

I am Chinese Canadian. Please let me clarify few things here.

1stval, most ATM by Bank of China would take Master and Visa debit card. It really depends on your local bank to let you withdraw money from the Bank of China ATM.

2nd, Many foreign banks have branches in Beijing and Shanghai right now, you can always go to those ATMs to get the Cash. For Shanghai as example, as soon as you get off the Plane you will see few Chase ATMs..

3. Be careful, when you use the Bank of China ATM, they dispath the money first and you need push a button to get back your card. I have few instance that I forget to take my card in the macine. One instance, someone behind me took all the money allowed in ATM from my card because I forgot to take the card after I get the cash..

• 2 weeks later...

We have done several extended land trips to Asia (most recently Thailand & Cambodia in Jan 07). Here are my observations.

Everything that we can charge goes on a credit card. If there is a problem with a price when the bill arrives, it can be disputed. If the merchandise falls apart, the charge can be disputed. You cannot do this with cash. We use a Capital One card. They are the only one that I know of that does not charge a foreign transaction fee.

We have an E-Trade debit card. It allows us to make withdrawals at any ATM with no fees. We have used it in some very remote parts of Africa & Asia with no problems.

Travelers cheques are sometime VERY difficult to cash.

It is your call, but please do not travel with wads of cash. Withdraw it in small amounts as you need it.

Have a wonderful & safe trip

Could you please tell me what an E-Trade debit card is? We already have the Capital One card.

Thanks,

Nancy

E-Trade-stock trading company.

If you have an account with E-Trade, they will issue a debit card/checks to use against account.

Hi,

We were have just returned from Mainland China. We used an ATM card at machines at the hotels and at banks in the major cities. No problem. Some of the machines took debit cards as well. Be sure to let your bank know that you will be using your card in China.

It's a fabulous trip. Enjoy!

Helen

Thanks for the info. Guess we'll rely on Bank of America debit card for the ATM's. We always advise our bank we'll be doing foreign transactions. It's good advice and thanks for reminding us.

Nancy

Archived