Shadow wine list, newbie wants to know

Commesso

Very much looking forward to our first cruise on the Shadow and Silver Seas on 8/4/07...........Baltic, St. Petersburg etc. (there's a first time for everybody)

Can anybody post details or summary re recent experience with the wine list (standard)?

Thx in advance,

Commesso

Very much looking forward to our first cruise on the Shadow and Silver Seas on 8/4/07...........Baltic, St. Petersburg etc. (there's a first time for everybody)

Can anybody post details or summary re recent experience with the wine list (standard)?

Thx in advance,

Commesso

There are complimentary wines and then a "reserve" wine list in which one buys bottles from the list. Could you tell us a bit more about the types of wines you're interested in and maybe we could comment? Give me a bit of guidance and maybe I can help a bit.

My wife and I just returned from the special "America's Cup" cruise that was 8 days and was Barcelona to Barcelona from 6/22 to 6/30. It went from Barcelona to Valencia and stay for 8 days to watch the racing for "America's Cup" with a side trip to Algeria. I am in the wine business, including 10+ years as a VP at Robert Mondavi Winery so I have a good deal of knowledge on the subject. I tried to get a copy of the wine list in advance from SS and they said they don't do that anymore. I also asked my TA to try and he got the same answer. The complementary wines are quite basic ie Geyser Peak Sauvignon Blanc. The Champagne on the other hand was very nice and from a very top notch producer named Nicolas Feuillatte it is pronounced as follows (nih-koh-lah Fuh-YEHT). The wines on the special list are quite an amazing selection and the prices are actually quite fair. My wife and I always take 6 or 8 outstanding wines from our personal collection on cruises and then purchase a bottle each night and that seems to be the best solution. The Sommelier and Dining Room staff always enjoy this as we share with them. Many times it is the first time they have tasted some of these wines. I hope this helps.

TheWineGuy -- aside from the wines -- how was the cruise? I'm envious - was in Valencia on Wind last year when they were preparing for the America's Cup and it looked wonderful.

How was condition of Whisper -- the staff -- any details you care to share would be appreciated.

I will be on Whisper embarking Lisbon on September 7 --

Thanks in advance.....

TheWineGuy: My experience parallels yours. The complimentary list is acceptable but not special; sometimes when the ship(s) go into interesting wine producing areas (e.g. New Zealand) the sommelier is given a budget to purchase some wines for the complimentary list. But the reserve list (or whatever it is called) is quite good...stay away from the First Growths which are listed at a premium and there are indeed some good wines at very fair prices. Sometimes they have wine auctions onboard as well, and one can get the wines even cheaper.

My partner and I usually travel with 1-2 cases of wine for the trip, depending how long we'll be onboard. The wine staff have always been very knowledgeable....more so in my opinion than on other lines....and eager to provide great wine service, Riedel glasses, etc. They've never charged a penny corkage, either.

The House wine changes as do most of the wines that are included in the deal.It really is all about the price that the Cruise line pays for wines and they are constantly buying wine from different countries hence no list being available.Although I will say that the house pour is normally something Italian which is normal practise for Italian owned companies,they are very loyal to their own country.

On our Cloud cruise the wines offered each night came from different regions (if you found a particular one you liked you could have it every night)

During the 10 nights we had choices from South Africa, Chile, Italy, Germany, France, The US and New Zealand...during a Baltic Cruise.

We noted that most of the complimentary wines were standard export labels eg Cloudy Bay from NZ, Mondavi,fromUS and a Penfolds from Aus

As far as I could see there was no bias towards any continent or country on the compliemntaries

• 2 weeks later...

The complimentary Australian reds tend to be good, both on Silversea and Regent ships. Aussie reds (unlike French, Italian and California reds) tend to be good values, particularly the Shiraz (syrah) and Shiraz blends.

Archived