Please look at my clothes list and help me not overpack

flagger

Well, I have been known to wear jeans or pants more than once in a week.

Rosie - Yes I posted that I had crossed over to the dark side and decided since my daily rigeur consists of shorts and a golf shirt which is usually stained with some un-identifiable piece of Pollack in training we would dress up nice at least for a formal night or two. However, we reserve the right to eat in our cabin.

BTW, Ms. Flagger looked at this list and said she would rather overpack for her first time out and learn her lesson but at least have enough clothes. She is wary though of weight limits. (She still hasn't learned from all our years of stand-by flying and carry-ons)

Hi Flag!

Hear, hear! Let her overpack--it only takes once--we all do it & we all learn from it! Each cruise, I take a little less---BUT it ALL starts out in the guestroom at first!:D We even bought new luggage to make cruising easier to pack for!! :eek:

Pollack in training----cute! And no I won't even ask! ;)

It looks like you could use some more jeans or casual pants for going on shore and the various excursions. Two pair of jeans for 7-10 days....phew!!!

;) I disagree! Jeans are awful to wear in Alaska. Once they get wet, they never dry out. Even if it stops raining, the air is terribly damp, and they just stay wet and get progressively stinkier.:p

A better choice is a pair of nylon track pants, which dry out quickly and don't smell when wet.

Flagger,

Don't listen to the comments from all the females. They will definitely have you overpacked. :eek:

I am not a denim fan so I would add a pairs of dockers and delete a pair of jeans. No need for extra dress trousers over and above the pair(s) required for the two semiformal (not casual) nights. For a seven night cruise, I think you will have two formal nights, two semiformal nights, a semiformal high tea and three casual nights. I think you could cut back on underwear, tee shirts, socks and golf shirts by one or two in each category.

Here are a few things I would take; belts for all the trousers, ties for the semiformal nights, PJ's (in case you order breakfast in the cabin), one pair of bermuda shorts (you never know), something for the gym (shorts and a tee), a sweatshirt, a light sweater that would work for dinner over a casual shirt and plastic raingear (coat and pants that come in a bag for $10 to $20 at a sporting goods store and your favorite baseball cap. If you have space, a warmup suit would be nice.

Have A Great Cruise!

Les

LOL---Ok I am guilty...but my DH is worse than ME!! We have a fight over shoe trees! He insists on packing his shoes with the trees in them, which also adds lots of weight to the luggage, which means less room for all the other things. If you really want to laugh - I pack 12 bathingsuits for me and 10 for him - we also wear them all. I look at it this way, as long as I am packing suitcases, fill them to the limit so you have choices. What if I am in a yellow mood and I did not pack any yellow:)

I am packing right now for a 4 day trip to Orlando (universal studios) and I have 1 large wheeler wardrober, 1 large suitcase, and 2 carry ons, packed to the weight limit. My husband has a total of 40 shirts (including every color of the spectrum polo tees and casual and dress) all of which he insisted on bringing. So there goes your theory!

I am so glad you don't really know who I am :)

This is just for me which accounts for two days pre-cruise in Vancouver:

12 underwear

14 t-shirts

10 white socks

7 coloured socks

1 sport coat

2 pair jeans

1 swim suit

8 golf shirts

4 dress shirts

4 pair slacks

4 pair shoes (2 dress/2 walking/tennis)

jacket

gloves

Do ya'll use the ship's laundry for a week long cruise? We haven't even gotten to Ms. Flagger's.

The baby's is all but done.

You really could forget the jeans. Heavy, slow to dry. Go with 3 pairs wash and wear slacks. Wear 1 pair of jeans there and back and ? many days you can in between. You have the formal nights covered with Tux and I think that will include formal shirts etc. Roll cotton burmuda shorts and bathing suit inside creases on pants.

Same with cotton Ts. I suugest you find an outdoor camping/hiking store and get 3 of their special next to the skin shirts that allow evepoation of perspiration, layer a light fleece over that. 1 to wear, 1 hanging up drying, 1 'in case ...' wear 1 pair of good light wieght hiking boots that are water resistant. Pack 1 pair cross trainers that look good with slacks (not white), and tuck in a pair of sandles or thongs for slippers, pool etc.

You know which underwear and socks are most comfortable. I'd definately take the kind you like. Comfort starts with underwear.

You will be carrying a lot of stuff for child, so would cut down weight (jeans, shoes) for yourself. A happy child will ensure more comfort than carrying enough shirts to change yourself twice a day.

About that child; hat, mitts, jacket REALLY necessary. I find the ocean always feels cool.

LOL---Ok I am guilty...but my DH is worse than ME!! We have a fight over shoe trees! He insists on packing his shoes with the trees in them....
What's so funny about that??? I always take shoe trees for my dress shoes. Seriously.

I am so glad you don't really know who I am :)
Oh, I think I have one just like you within a few feet of me right now.

Les

Did you ever go to CruiseDiva and look at her packing lists?

Also, I second, third and fourth what everyone else has said about the jeans: just not a good choice for Alaska! I know that sounds positively un-American, but they will become a liability real fast!!

Enjoy your trip!

Hi Flagger,

On our first cruise we made use of the laundry service several times, including toward the end so we could bring home clean clothes. The service is excellent and on subsequent cruises we have used it every few days for socks, underwear and shirts so we don't have dirty laundry smelling up the closet/suitcase or wherever you may store the dirty clothes. Lessens the amount of these items you need to pack. They also launder jeans.

Also, we almost always fly Americawest and have found that if you check in OUTSIDE and with a tip in hand that is visible when you first hand over the bags, the baggage handlers don't give you a hard time for a few extra pounds.

You will love Alaska!! :)

Melody

This is just for me which accounts for two days pre-cruise in Vancouver:

12 underwear

14 t-shirts

10 white socks

7 coloured socks

1 sport coat

2 pair jeans

1 swim suit

8 golf shirts

4 dress shirts

4 pair slacks

4 pair shoes (2 dress/2 walking/tennis)

jacket

gloves

Do ya'll use the ship's laundry for a week long cruise? We haven't even gotten to Ms. Flagger's.

The baby's is all but done.

IMHO, here's what you should do....

Get rid of at least 4 of the t-shirts, and two of the underwear... that will give you 11 of each (10 packed, plus 1 on your body). Using 2 in Vancouver gives you 9 for the cruise... more than enough.

Get rid of three of the colored socks...

You can get away with only 2 dress slacks if you're renting a tux, or if you just wear the dress slacks to dinner.

Ditch one pair of dress shoes... so long as you're wearing basic black or brown, you can use the same shoes for multiple outfits.

Keep the golf shirts... but if you want to really save space, ditch a few extra t-shirts.

Ditch two of the dress shirts... so long as you wear an undershirt, the undershirt will absorb most of your body soil, keeping the dress shirts relatively clean.

My two cents...:D

GALAHAD

Archived