Still Rocking!

sailinsoon

I have been home from my cruise to Alaska for a week now, and still have a rocking sensation. The trip was pretty calm, so I am not sure why this is happenning. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem, and how long it lasts. I can't read a book or stay on the computer long! :confused:

It's very common. If you're really bothered, then take a dramamine or bonine and have a nap. Otherwise just be prepared to grab on to something when the room starts to move!

It used to last 5 days for me, but now I leave my scopolomine patch on after the cruise for about 3 days and I'm fine after that.

I always get this as well. For me, it seems to help if I take something to dry out my ears and sinuses. I take a nutritional supplement that does that (I work at a chiropractic office). You might try going to a nutrition center and see if they have anything that would help (it would be the same type thing that you would take if you had a cold and a runny nose).

Oh, by the way, it's called Mal de Terre (as opposed to Mal de Mer)!

Alternative Remidies: Just head to your local amusement park and ride some rollercoasters or other thrill rides! Go to your local park and use a swing for awhile. No more side to side motion, but you may end up with a forward and back motion memory!

I use to have this problem for a week or so. I don't recall it bothering me so much on the last couple of cruises now that I think about it. But I did leave my patch on - even though it had "technically" run out...for a day extra.

There was a time or two where I had to go to the doctor as I seemed to be off balance even when I layed down. It was not the "normal" getting your land legs back.

I had this problem after my last cruise for about a week. I think it was because we hit bad weather the last couple of days and the ship really rocked. I never felt it on board but when I got back to work, I really felt woozy. I just took my ginger capsules and it settled down.

I can't remember where I heard this, but, supposedly if it takes you a few days to recover from this "rocking" sensation, then you are less likely to get seasick when you are onboard a ship. I don't know if it's true, but I get that every time and I've never been seasick (thank goodness!!). Also, it happens to me even when the seas have been calm. It's an inner ear thing! - cb

I have this for 4 or 5 days. I guess I'm lucky -- it doesnt bother me at all, in fact, it's a pleasant little reminder of my cruise. :)

Happens when I travel by train as well.

If it lasts longer than a week or two, you might want to see your doctor. I ended up having a severe inner ear infection that I must have had before we left. Bonine made me feel better, but I knew it wasn't right that I was still having to take it three weeks later or was turning green at work!

I have been home from my cruise to Alaska for a week now, and still have a rocking sensation. The trip was pretty calm, so I am not sure why this is happenning. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem, and how long it lasts. I can't read a book or stay on the computer long! :confused:

People in California have this problem all the time. We call it an earthquake. We end up with the same problems you are having. We can't stay on the computer or read a book during an earthquake either.

I suffer from this problem also. After our first cruise, it lasted only a day or two. It seems to last longer after each cruise. After our last cruise, it was off and on for about 3 months. I have never gotten seasick or any type of motion sickness in my life - in fact I love rough seas! I guess the only answer is retire on a cruise ship!

My hubby thinks that since I am normally a big klutz (I can trip over nothing), my equilibrium is out of whack on land, but the rocking of the sea evens it out as I have no problem walking straight down the hallways on a rocking ship.

• 1 month later...

Seriously, it's called mal de debarquement ("sickness of disembarkment") syndrome. Last time it took me over a month for it to go away, and I read up on it .... supposedly it hits middle-aged women most commonly. And we had a sailboat, sailed for weeks as a kid and I never had the problem then.

After reading these boards, I am getting ready to try some Bonine or ginger because we got jsut back last week, and I am doing it again..... day 5 now.

People in California have this problem all the time. We call it an earthquake. We end up with the same problems you are having. We can't stay on the computer or read a book during an earthquake either.
happy0007.gifFunny!

I always wear a patch, and I get that sensation if I happen to remove my patch right after the cruise. If I leave it on until it wears off, then it's not so bad. I have a friend who occasionally suffers from vertigo, and the first time she cruised she wore a patch, and had vertigo for days after taking it off when we got home.

I have that "rocking" feeling for about a week after we get off the ship. But when we were kids we would go to the lake on a houseboat and stay there for 3 or 4 days. It used to do the same thing to me back then. Oh well, it's a small price to pay!! :)

Question, how much ginger does one take? I'm also taking my first cruise, I already have an on going inner ear problem, which I take daily meds for, now I planned on bringing motion sickness OTC meds, the recommended Bonine sounds good. I previously read on these boards about taking ginger also, but how much? Now this is the first I'm hearing about an after the crusie "sickness of disembarkment" and I'll be returning to work "on a computer -all day" just 1 day after getting back!

Archived