QE2 April Crossing Questions

QueensFan

First off, sorry this is a bit long...

Haven't posted here in a long time, but have been reading.

Now that the inevitable has finally come, I'm determined to take the QE2 crossing I've dreamed of since I was 8 (I'm now 17) before it's too late. I already know her history and plans inside-out, and I want to be able to experience her in motion just once. I can always go to visit her in Dubai (grr), but there's something about being aboard in the middle of the sea.

Seeing as I'm graduating from high school next year, my parents are planning on taking me as my graduation present. My mom is definitely going; my dad and brother probably. So it's either 1 or 2 cabins (kind of gets rid of the through-the-door sounds issue!).

We're definitely going Caronia; my mother is not the type to be told when to eat. Probably either a C5 or a C4.

I'm a bit worried though...after following QE2 for so long, I hope it's not one of those "never meet your heroes" kinds of things. Yeah, I know she's got issues and she's 40 years old and all that. I figure it can't be THAT bad. I'm more worried that my parents might not find it as exciting and luxurious as I. Though I attribute many differences to "it's a British thing." (I also use this to explain the quirks of my 1993 Range Rover..."oh, the oil is leaking again...well, it's British.")

So...a few questions.

-Internet access. This is important. My mom runs her own internet company, so she has to be somewhat connected. Granted, a lot of stuff can be dealt with by the rest of her staff (and one big client has even told her she would "shoot you if you don't go"), but she still really needs to be at least able to check her mail once or twice a day. Can she do this with her own laptop, instead of having to use the ship computers? Does anyone have the updates rate$? And will we be able to get connectivity at some point during all 5 sea days?

-C4 v C5. Is it worth the extra $400 for the 4 of us to go to C4? The virtual tour on the Cunard site shows more wood and such, but not sure to trust that, due to QE2's cabin eccentricities. Are C5s still nice inside, or more akin to the steerage-style? Would you put them more on the Ritz-Carlton or the Best Western end of the spectrum? (My mother is a hotel snob, so we need to inch as close to the Ritz end as we reasonably can.)

-The pools - my mom's a swimmer, and the mere mention of the indoor pool sealed the deal. How big are they? The outdoor, from a Google, was 30', but not sure if that's right.

-Food - is it actually spectacular, or more "good"? Being from the New York area, we know good food...and don't want to be disappointed. I've heard mostly positive, but a little negative. This is an especially worrying point...I know she has many culinary commendations, but I don't know if they still apply in these times.

-Condition/Datedness - we all know that when we're sailing, she'll only have a few months left, and thus things might be a bit more worn and such and not dealt with. Throw sentiment aside - is it really bad...or can it still be overlooked?

-Things to do - are there going to be educational programmes and such on this voyage? Or a lot of reading in a steamer chair?

-Demographics - from what I've heard, there's a scooter parking lot outside the dining rooms on some longer voyages. Now, this is the last leg of the world cruise, so there will definitely be a geriatric set...but will there still be enough in the 20s-60s bracket to keep the average bedtime out of the 8PM zone and the excitement factor a bit more up? I don't really care if there's other kids my age - seeing as it's during school anyway (I'm cutting a week to go, second semester senior so I won't be alone). And I'm going to be more preoccupied with just enjoying the experience and documenting the ship than anything else.

-Are there any other things you think might really affect the experience of a non-QE2 Geek as the rest of my family is?

-My dad's got a Platinum Amex. Do we get any special benefits, and if so, do we have to book through the Platinum Travel Services? Does anyone have any experience with that?

We're going on this crossing to experience the end of a piece of history (I'm of the "QM2 is not the same thing" school). And I know that she's not perfect, and I know that it's not going to be everything I expect...but I just don't want it to be a letdown. I've looked at hundreds of photos on the web that nobody else would care about ("the amidships 4 deck corridor! Yay!")...read hundreds of reviews...and followed many threads here on CruiseCritic for years.

But, as I said, I'm worried about "meeting my hero."

QF

I can't answer all of your questions, as this voyage will also be my first (and last) enjoyment of the Queen. I can, however answer you one. She can bring her laptop. Indeed, we will have ours with us. However, there is no guarantee that she will always be able to get satellite. I would say, bring along a satellite data phone, but indeed, if the ship can't get it, she might not be able to get it independently. (Although I have been on a ship that had a problem with their antenna. Obviously, a mounted antenna on top deck during a storm is not going to get fixed immediately, while you could perhaps do something with your own, smaller version.)

I am 52, and will be more than happy to share the squeaks and groans with your mother. I, too am a Cunard fan, but have not previously taken the QE2 for exactly the same reasons. Will I like it? will I be okay with no balconies? will the quirkiness and non-modern accommodations be unsettling for me?

We shall find out together.

I chose to upgrade from C5 to C4 be cause I wanted a bathtub. It's all in what is important to her! (and the rest of the family!)

Once it is settled, come on over and join our roll call! I'll see you in April in Brooklyn!

Karie,

booked on the April crossing at "The End of the World!"

-Internet access. This is important ... Can she do this with her own laptop, instead of having to use the ship computers? Does anyone have the updates rate$? And will we be able to get connectivity at some point during all 5 sea days?

She can use her own laptop (but only in "hot spots" of course - not sure exactly where these are). You should have access all the time though there may be occasional satellite outages. Not sure of the latest rates but someone can help you.

-C4 v C5. Is it worth the extra $400 for the 4 of us to go to C4? The virtual tour on the Cunard site shows more wood and such, but not sure to trust that, due to QE2's cabin eccentricities. Are C5s still nice inside, or more akin to the steerage-style?

Of original cabins (Q3 and below) there are really two styles of decor... The C2 and above cabins were first-class and have lots of wood etc.; the C3 and below were tourist-class and have much less wood and are a lot plainer inside.

If you want a nicer-decorated cabin you will want to go with a C2. Or better yet a C1 which is a nice, big rectangular cabin with lots of space, unlike the other C grade cabins which are mostly odd-shaped and feel a lot smaller.

The only thing a C4 has that a C5 doesn't is a bathtub. Otherwise they should be the same.

Be careful with the C5 as there are a few very small ones. In particular avoid 2016 to 2029 which are much smaller than other C5s, mostly a mere 103 sq ft.

-Food - is it actually spectacular, or more "good"?

I'd say good to very good. It's very nice food but it's not Michelin-star territory.

Throw sentiment aside - is it really bad...or can it still be overlooked?

Not bad. She's not shiny and new of course, but she is well-kept and I expect this to continue up to her retirement.

Things to do - are there going to be educational programmes and such on this voyage? Or a lot of reading in a steamer chair?

You can expect a lot of lectures and all manner of activities. Do not worry about being bored.

will there still be enough in the 20s-60s bracket to keep the average bedtime out of the 8PM zone and the excitement factor a bit more up?

Absolutely! You will probably not find many under 16 or so but from that point on there should be a good range of ages. I would put the average at around 60 to 65 so that means half the people should be younger than that. It's not Carnival but the ship is not going to be deserted at midnight either. Even some of the geriatric set can be surprisingly active ;) !

I'll echo what Doug has said. As for hotspots, the Boardroom will not be available to you as you are not a full world cruise passenger. But the Lido, Yacht Club and computer room will be. I've been very happy with the signal on both QE2 and QM2 but there is no guarantee of signal all day every day.

The base rate for internet is $0.50 per minute, but you can get packages to reduce this a little. The advantage of a laptop is that you only need to be on line to download, and you can read and write emails off line.

I'd strongly encourage you to do the trip - there will be a lot of people from this board on the trip and it should be a good crossing.

She is a legend - but for a good reason. I haven't been aboard since January, but she was in lovely condition then, still looking wonderful. She's a friendly ship too - I'm sure you'll be made very welcome indeed.

Matthew

Alright...figuring more things out...thanks for the help so far.

I THINK we want to go Caronia. Princess is a bit expensive for 4 people, but single seating is a must, so no M. I kind of haven't mentioned that there are no rooms in that category that have double beds, though (C1 apparently does, but they're all booked). Right now, though I haven't gone over the grades with my parents, I'm thinking C4 is good - they still don't seem too shabby, but have the tub. (Though what's the C4-C3 diff?) Maybe the Platinum AmEx will speak (though these last QE2 voyages will probably be 100% booked) and get us an upgrade.

Only exception would be if we could get something nicer and have 4 in a room - in that case, we might even go Princess with a 3rd/4th rate. But, it seems that those rooms are strictly double-occupancy - although I saw a 3rd/4th rate for all categories in the UK e-brochure. The US site only lists them for the lowest M-grade cabins, where I know there are quads...so not sure how it works in other grades.

The internet thing'll be an issue, but we'll cope. Considering that many of my mom's biggest clients have personally encouraged her to go, I'm guessing that we can figure it out.

Trying to figure out how to book...via Cunard direct, via the Amex Platinum service, or through an agent. We want to get the Amex benefits (seems to be a $300/cabin credit and priority boarding) for sure. But not having experience in cruise booking, not sure the best way to go.

I must seem very noobish here, for someone who knows so much about the actual ship part of QE2.

(Though what's the C4-C3 diff?)

Location. C4s are just C3s that aren't terribly well-located.

You need to get to C2 if you actually want something nicer (not larger, usually, but nicer).

Only exception would be if we could get something nicer and have 4 in a room - in that case, we might even go Princess with a 3rd/4th rate. But, it seems that those rooms are strictly double-occupancy

Yes. No 3rd/4th berths in PG. Triple occupancy is available only in C3 to M2... That is, what were originally tourist-class outside cabins. And quads only come in C5 and below!

The ship never had third or fourth berths in inside cabins (all tourist-class except a few singles), nor first-class cabins.

I don't even think the suites and penthouses can accommodate a third person.

QE2 has a very low capacity of third and fourth berths, and in very limited cabin grades.

Only exception would be if we could get something nicer and have 4 in a room - in that case, we might even go Princess with a 3rd/4th rate. But, it seems that those rooms are strictly double-occupancy - although I saw a 3rd/4th rate for all categories in the UK e-brochure. The US site only lists them for the lowest M-grade cabins, where I know there are quads...so not sure how it works in other grades.

Even though there are no cabins with 3rd berths in Grill grades you can indeed book three people in one Grill cabin. In both Princess and Queens Grill Cabins you get a rollaway to accomodate the third person.

Yet, according to the online-booking tool only selected Mauretania and Caronia cabins have four berths.

I will be on the April crossing also, as I am a bit older than you, I was in high school during QE2's building and Maiden voyage, I have built numerous models of her and fell in love with her from the beginning. I did not sail on her for the first time until 1980, there were some things I was disappointed with, but was thrilled to be on the ship and cross to England, a lifelong dream. Since that trip I have sailed on her 43 times and have grown to love her and overlook her shortcommings. When QE2 was built she was revolutionary in design and size, she was the largest, modern, hip, a new era in ocean liner design and now she is being replaced, a victim of new technology and a new market. I would be very interested in talking to you on the voyage, to get your perspective on the ship, as you will be seeing her for the first time.

I would book via AMEX. I am a Centurion member and I always use my travel conceirge. Many times they can offer special rates, offer onboard cabin credits, select gifts, and if one is not in the Grills or World Club Platinum, priority boarding. There is also a special cocktail party for Black/Platinum Card members onboard, although I have never had the urge to attend. I am sure the same applies to the Platinum Card. Booking through and paying via AMEX assures that you will receive all the perks and benefits. Enjoy your trip, you will have a wonderful time!!

I would book via AMEX. I am a Centurion member and I always use my travel conceirge. Many times they can offer special rates, offer onboard cabin credits, select gifts, and if one is not in the Grills or World Club Platinum, priority boarding. There is also a special cocktail party for Black/Platinum Card members onboard, although I have never had the urge to attend. I am sure the same applies to the Platinum Card. Booking through and paying via AMEX assures that you will receive all the perks and benefits. Enjoy your trip, you will have a wonderful time!!

Just be sure you use the "right" platinum amex. The rewards cards don't qualify, only the ones that have a several hundred dollar annual fee.

J

QueensFan, whatever you do you will want to do it quickly as all of her sailings next year are filing quickly. Most agents at Amex are very good and should be able to answer all of your questions. I am sure you will greatly enjoy the trip because regardless of anything else it is fullfilling a dream for you. Do pray tell though, how did you become such an avid fan of the Queen? Such enthusiastic cruisers such as yourself do not usually come at such young ages. (comparatively speaking of course) I do think it is wonderful that there are traveler's such as yourself, the next generation of cruisers! Sail on!

Well...I called Amex PTS yesterday, and we right now have a hold on cabins 3140 and 3142, both C2 category. I got quotes for C2, C3 and C4, and they're about $100/pp from each other. Held the C2 because it's the nicest and the "rarest" of the choices (C3 and C4 seem basically the same except for location), but not sure if we should go down to a C3 or C4 to save some money. Can't tell if there's that much of a decor difference between the ex-first class C2s and tourist-class C3/4.

The two cabins we have are also, while connected, also CONNECTED. 3142 is connected to 3144; 3140 is additionally connected to an M inside (hard to tell on the plans, but I zoomed in on a PDF and sure enough, the lines were there - looking on an old plan, it even looks like the M cabin was a "spare bedroom" for 3140.) Combined with an aftish location, I'm wondering if we should either a) try for a better C2 or b) go down to a C3/4 and try and get a better location. I've heard horror stories about connector doors.

Deposit would be due 10 August, so we have to decide soonish.

Also...is airfare included in the cost? I can't figure this out for love or money. It says "no air" on the fare page on the US site, but I found a big page on the UK site that seems to say that it's always included. And a search of CC confused me more. If not, are we going to have to pay $800/person for one-way tickets (the regular web fare), or does Cunard arrange something greatly reduced? Would prefer to fly Continental or Delta, if possible, because the Platinum card can get us into the lounges (learned to be a definite benefit after a 4 hour delay in Atlanta). But $806/person is kind of steep. Heck, we can all share a D6 room on the QM2's 22 April return for a few hundred more (and might if that's actually the airfare!).

Man, it's tough being the family travel agent! I think I've spent more time trying to figure the HOW of the crossing than the BEING THERE of it.

Deposit would be due 10 August, so we have to decide soonish.

Also...is airfare included in the cost? I can't figure this out for love or money. It says "no air" on the fare page on the US site, but I found a big page on the UK site that seems to say that it's always included. And a search of CC confused me more. If not, are we going to have to pay $800/person for one-way tickets (the regular web fare), or does Cunard arrange something greatly reduced? Would prefer to fly Continental or Delta, if possible, because the Platinum card can get us into the lounges (learned to be a definite benefit after a 4 hour delay in Atlanta). But $806/person is kind of steep. Heck, we can all share a D6 room on the QM2's 22 April return for a few hundred more (and might if that's actually the airfare!).

Air add-ons are available for purchase from Cunard, air IS NOT included if you are booking from the US, unless they specifically state that it is a Sea/Air combo (they run those for QM2 occasionally, but I haven't seen one for QE2 in a couple years). Cunard's air prices are only listed in the hardcopy brochures, not on the website. Air for this voyage ranges from 429-1109 (not including taxes), depending on where in the States you are. The air does not include transfers anymore, so add $80-120 per person for that.

For the January 2008 TA, my airfare from the West Coast (PDX-LHR and LGA-PDX) is $750 plus $120 for the transfers.

Have you looked at Virgin Atlantic's one way pricing? I refuse to ever fly on them again since they lost my luggage in January, but I've seen one-way fares under $400 on their website.

Good luck,

Julia

Can't tell if there's that much of a decor difference between the ex-first class C2s and tourist-class C3/4.

BIG. For $100/pp I would definitely go with the C2. No question.

As for air, it is not included. Cunard may charge a bit less than the airlines themselves (or sometimes, a bit more!) but I do not think it will be greatly reduced.

Archived