RCCL New Smoking Policy Discussion (merged)

as long as the minority are not violating the rights of the majority - eg, to not have to inhale second hand smoke.

honestly, though. Have any of you smokers heard about the Surgeon General's report on smoking?? FROM THE NINETEEN SIXTIES???

And for the guy who says that non-smokers should stop driving cars?? Not a good analogy. Why? Because we need vehicles to get to work, to the store, etc, etc. You don't NEED to smoke. For any reason. I'm all for emissions tests, lower emissions, hell, I'm all for clean cars.

But I'll never agree that because I drive a car then it gives fools the right to pollute MY air in a public place with their smoking. If you're going to defend your amazing decision to smoke and pollute the air of others, you'll need better arguments than to say I need to give up my car if I ask you to not smoke around me on a cruise. On the face of it, it's a stupid arguement.

I honestly can't understand, knowing what we know, that people with brains actually willingly take up smoking in the first place. Just a couple of facts:

Tobacco smoke, according to the story, triggers a broader variety of cancers than researchers had previously believed, including stomach cancer, liver cancer, cervical cancer and kidney cancer - not to mention myeloid leukemia.

The average person who dies from smoking, it is estimated, loses an astounding 20 or 25 years of life-expectancy.

Smoking kills over 400,000 people a year -- more than one in six people in the United States -- making it more lethal than AIDS, automobile accidents, homicides, suicides, drug overdoses, and fires combined. It is estimated that the U.S. spends an astounding $50 billion each year on smoking-related health costs. Smoking may be even more dangerous now than 30 years ago, most likely because the lower tar and nicotine levels in most cigarette brands cause people to inhale more deeply. In one study only 42% of male lifelong smokers reached the age of 73 compared to 78% of nonsmokers.

And we are supposed to listen to their arguments? They're moronic in their OWN lives!

You know why you can't do animal testing with smoking? Because you can't get even a dumb animal to smoke!! yet, we have cruisers who do it by the thousands!

And yet these people, these bellowing nincompoops, cop attitude about how they're not allowed to kill the rest of us too?

yeah, try again.

It's quite beyond belief.

What's quite beyond belief is that you can't make an argument for your case w/o calling a whole lotta people (ie: smokers) names from behind your protective computer monitor-which, since we're discussing rules, is against the rules of CC!:mad:

The average person who dies from smoking, it is estimated, loses an astounding 20 or 25 years of life-expectancy.

Amazing. I have an uncle 91 years old who still smOkes till this day. If he didn't he would live to be 111-116, WOW, i better go tell him to give it UP!

You know why you can't do animal testing with smoking? Because you can't get even a dumb animal to smoke!! yet, we have cruisers who do it by the thousands!

I HAVE SEEN MONKEYS SMOKE. ARE THEY NOT ANIMALS?

And yet these people, these bellowing nincompoops, cop attitude about how they're not allowed to kill the rest of us too?

yeah, try again.

It's quite beyond belief.

My grandfather lived to be 90 and as near as we can figure he smoked around 1,000,000 unfiltered Camels in his life. I'm guessing he would made it to 150 easy had he laid off the smokes.

My grandfather lived to be 90 and as near as we can figure he smoked around 1,000,000 unfiltered Camels in his life. I'm guessing he would made it to 150 easy had he laid off the smokes.

He might have and would of broken the record of 125 set by a lady in France last year. When asked her key to living a long life," I quit smoking when I was 123.

Yes please ! :D

I was responding to the poster who said " as long as the minority are not violating the rights of the majority". The majority had the right in the south to keep blacks out of their hotels, rest. etc. They smelled, they hurt business, they need to sit at the back of the bus. Thank God, the minority fought and rioted. There are many other examples, like the minority owner in baseball who let J. Robinson play. Why should they have these rights "they only represent 10% of the population.

I was responding to the poster who said " as long of the minority are not violating the rights of the majority". The majority had the right in the south to keep blacks out of their hotels, rest. etc. They smelled, they hurt business, they need to sit at the back of the bus. Thank God, the minority fought and rioted. There are many other examples, like the minority owner in baseball who let J. Robinson play. Why should they have these rights "they only represent 10% of the population.

They are not doing anyone physical harm, but smokers do !

They are not doing anyone physical harm, but smokers do !

Oh my God, you still don't get it. No one was talking about harm, but the "rights" of the minority and the rights of the "majority". Until change, the minority has the right to smoke if not breaking any rules, laws, or regulations

Oh my God, you still don't get it. No one was talking about harm, but the "rights" of the minority and the rights of the "majority". Until change, the minority has the right to smoke if not breaking any rules, laws, or regulations

Well the change is coming and then you wil have no choice , and the only one`s who will be to blame are the selfish smokers !

What's quite beyond belief is that you can't make an argument for your case w/o calling a whole lotta people (ie: smokers) names from behind your protective computer monitor-which, since we're discussing rules, is against the rules of CC!:mad:

Oh,please.As if you are not also hiding behind your computer too.One thing we all can agree on is that if we were all on the ship together,having dinner together we would probably get along fine,maybe even be friends.If you were on the balcony next to me smoking you probably wouldn't get more than an

eye rollback and if I was eating on the balcony you probably wouldn't smoke during that time or ask me if you thought it would be a nuisance,or you may think "doesn't that guy ever stop eating?'We are all stirring the pot a bit.Aren't we?.One thing I truly believe is that no matter how silly or annoying some posters are,they are most likely good people.Heck my neighbors like me,even the ones who smoke.I wonder id any of them are posting here

Well the change is coming and then you wil have no choice , and the only one`s who will be to blame are the selfish smokers !

As I said before, you are probably right, the outright ban is probably coming ( not in my lifetime) and you will have that Utopia just like the majority wanted in Proabition days. The air will be totally clean and you will live to be 120.

As I said before, you are probably right, the outright ban is probably coming ( not in my lifetime) and you will have that Utopia just like the majority wanted in Proabition days. The air will be totally clean and you will live to be 120.

Im not asking to live to 120, but just to be able to breathe air that has no tobacco smoke in it, and not come out of somewhere stinking of smoke with my eyes running and throat throbbing ,is that being unreasonable ?

I don`t mind if people smoke in their own houses , thats their right ,just not in my space. Smoking is now illegal in enclosed public places in the UK and it is brilliant and i think a lot of smokers even agree ! :D

Im not asking to live to 120, but just to be able to breathe air that has no tobacco smoke in it, and not come out of somewhere stinking of smoke with my eyes running and throat throbbing ,is that being unreasonable ?

I don`t mind if people smoke in their own houses , thats their right ,just not in my space. Smoking is now illegal in enclosed public places in the UK and it is brilliant and i think a lot of smokers even agree ! :D

Thanks for letting me smoke in my house. Can I venture out on to the street in front?. I guess you would love the new smoking ordinace in nearby Calabasas, Ca, No smoking in any indoor or OUTDOOR places. No smoking in your car, if the window is down, subject to a $500 fine and possible jail time. If you dont report a smoking violator (sound familar from 60 years ago, close to your home country) you can also be subject to the same fines. And the residents were not even allowed to vote on the ordinance.

Thanks for letting me smoke in my house. Can I venture out on to the street in front?. I guess you would love the new smoking ordinace in nearby Calabasas, Ca, No smoking in any indoor or OUTDOOR places. No smoking in your car, if the window is down, subject to a $500 fine and possible jail time. If you dont report a smoking violator (sound familar from 60 years ago, close to your home country) you can also be subject to the same fines. And the residents were not even allowed to vote on the ordinance.

If you smoke outside, i may breath it in :(

Wow that sounds like a dream come true, i may consider moving there ! :D

Oh,please.As if you are not also hiding behind your computer too.One thing we all can agree on is that if we were all on the ship together,having dinner together we would probably get along fine,maybe even be friends.If you were on the balcony next to me smoking you probably wouldn't get more than an

eye rollback and if I was eating on the balcony you probably wouldn't smoke during that time or ask me if you thought it would be a nuisance,or you may think "doesn't that guy ever stop eating?'We are all stirring the pot a bit.Aren't we?.One thing I truly believe is that no matter how silly or annoying some posters are,they are most likely good people.Heck my neighbors like me,even the ones who smoke.I wonder id any of them are posting here

I'm not hiding behind anything, nor am I calling people names...I'm merely stating that since RCCL changed the rules to smoking on balcony only vs. in my cabin, I'll definitely be booking balconies and smoking out there, and since so many have voiced their concerns over smelling my smoke on their balcony, logic told me that if you put the smokers in the back of the ship, their smoke won't drift forward while the ship is moving forward....and that resulted in ME being called selfish...explain the reason for me to be insulted by trying to come up with an amicable solution to appease nonsmokers so that they, too, can enjoy their balconies, just as I intend to enjoy mine, by following the rules and smoking out there??? Sheesh!:rolleyes:

As a paramedic, I have devoted my life to helping othes. I have NEVER been the type to call people names or turn my back on those in need. In doing so, I now have a permanent disability, which makes it VERY difficult for me to book an inside room and have to walk to an outside deck every time I want to have a smoke (ie: before bed, first thing in the morning, etc.). I'm not attacking anyone for chosing not to smoke...hell I APPLAUD them and wish I had never started...SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO, but I did. It's my choice to smoke, RCCL's choice to tell me to smoke on my balcony rather than my stateroom, and that's fine, but don't think I'm going to feel at all guilty about it if someone is "behind" me on the next balcony that doesn't smoke and is offended because they can smell my smoke. I offered to take the back of the ship so that wouldn't happen, and in fact, intend to book any and all cruises either on the aft, or as close to it as possible, FOR THAT REASON! To me, a balcony is a balcony, and to be honest, I think I'd almost rather have a hump balcony than an aft one, but to TRY to avoid offending someone, I'm willing to move further back. SUE ME!:eek: :rolleyes:

You haven't been to the states then, have you? Eyes running and throat throbbing due to pollution. Might want to stay inside then.:eek:

You haven't been to the states then, have you? Eyes running and throat throbbing due to pollution. Might want to stay inside then.:eek:

I have been to NYC ,but the pollution never had that effect on me !

Archived