RCCL New Smoking Policy Discussion (merged)

As far as the alternatives, how about this? A "smoker's hood" -- a device that keeps all the exhaled smoke inside a plastic hood that goes over their head, and there is a filtered air hole that allows them to suck in fresh air, but not exhale toxins.

I'd be all for it.

I have to differ with you on the smoker's hood. It's not a bad idea but how could we force smokers to wear it? I'm afraid they would just not wear it and it would be difficult to force them to wear it. But if you can find something to substitute for a cigarette like the Nicarest idea, and mandate the cigarette companies replace cigarettes with the new product, then smokers would have no choice but to suck on the replacement product. Bottom line is they need their fix so they will suck on whatever you give them to replace cigarettes. The new product would deliver the nicotine so smokers would be happy as clams and the toxic exhaust would be replaced by harmless vapor. Or maybe instead of lighting anything on fire and sucking on it, why not just let them chew on straight nicotine. It could be flavored like candy or starbucks coffee. To digress, can you imagine how dumb the first smoker was? "Hey, look at me, I'm going to take some tobacco leaves and roll them up. Then I will set one end of it on fire and I will suck on the other end. Cooool!"

\

exactly. what is this guy's point? There are laws ALL OVER THE PLACE that establish my right to not have to second-hand smoke. In restaurants. Bars. Schools. All government buildings. Most private sector buildings. etc etc etc.

My entire State is restaurant and bar "smoke free". Ya think they put those laws in place to avoid fires??

So actually there IS a body of law that says that your right to smoke ends at my right to breathe air free of your smoke.

The point is that while they are in lots of places, they are not ALL OVER THE PLACE. There are also lots of places where there are no laws preventing smoking and it is only in those places where there actually are laws prohibiting it that you have a right to a smoke free environment.

Regarding the body of law - the body of law in certain states/countries, stipulates certain places where you have a "right" to a tobacco smoke free environment. However, like I said originally, absent a law (i.e. every place in the world where there is no law prohibiting it) you have no "right" to a smoke free environment.

What you have in every place where smoking is allowed, but you wish it weren't, is a desire for a smoke free enviroment.

So what you are saying is that everyday the places places we are entitled to a smoke free environment are increasing.The laws would not be needed if more smokers were polite smokers,but as you can see in this thread that will never happen without laws.Some smokers are simply too self centered.Bethany Beach,DE recently had a beach cleanup and collected over 15,000 butts.Now a ban is probably going to go into effect on beach smoking and you should hear the uproar from some.I guess they are taking away their right to litter the beach

Better hurry gorc... you are way behind in your usual smoking-thread insults and have a lot of catching up to do. Sucks to have to gather that much venom all at once doesn't it? :p

He's without question the best poster to date.Better late than never.Common sense may win out afterall.........and to correct you its not 'smoking thread insults',its 'smoking thread wisdom':p

So what you are saying is that everyday the places places we are entitled to a smoke free environment are increasing.The laws would not be needed if more smokers were polite smokers,but as you can see in this thread that will never happen without laws.Some smokers are simply too self centered.Bethany Beach,DE recently had a beach cleanup and collected over 15,000 butts.Now a ban is probably going to go into effect on beach smoking and you should hear the uproar from some.I guess they are taking away their right to litter the beach
I've often said that it seems like a lot of smokers believe the whole world is an ashtray. I would say, though, that if the problem is butts, they don't need a smoking ban, they need to enforce their littering laws.

The point is that while they are in lots of places, they are not ALL OVER THE PLACE. There are also lots of places where there are no laws preventing smoking and it is only in those places where there actually are laws prohibiting it that you have a right to a smoke free environment.

Actually I believe that there are laws everywhere protecting against being battered, assaulted, and poisoned. If someone is smoking in a spot where there is no specific rule banning smoking, a good case could be made that they are battering those standing/sitting nearby. I bet within months we start hearing of non-smokers filing (and winning) law suits against smokers for causing them harm, even if smoking is not illegal in the areas where the incident occurred.

I have to differ with you on the smoker's hood. It's not a bad idea but how could we force smokers to wear it?

Maybe instead of the hood, we could have the smokers-bub. It would be an infllatable bubble that they would be encapsulated in while they smoke like the Bubble Boy from Seinfeld.

Or perhaps there could be a law that the lit end of the cigarette would have to be always inside of the smoker's mouth - that way there would be less of an issue with second hand smoke.

Wow this thread is turning into a series!

I am a non smoker. In Alabama you have smoking and non smoking restaurants. Makes a lot more sense to me then having non-smoking sections.

What RCCL does about smoking obviously won't concern me as much as it will you smokers.

I do have a beef about more people smoking on balconies though.

On a cruise year before last I was enjoying the full moon with my husband on our balcony. Then from the deck above us, a careless smoker threw his/her still lit cigarette over the railing and it landed in on my very expensive formal gown and ruined it with a burn the size of a penny. I was livid.:mad:

Smoker or non smoker be mindful of throwing waste overboard!

that is just CRAZY. they should have paid for your gown and been kicked off at the next port. wait..that's too lenient...kicked off at sea!! :eek: how can anyone do such a thing??? :mad:

You know, if my 7 year old nephew was behaving like some of you are he would be in time-out. Is the name-calling and insult throwing really necessary? Is it just me or has this thread completely left the original topic. The new policy hasn't even been mentioned lately because a few individuals (you know who you are) are too busy trying to prove to everyone else that they know better than all.

Just curious if there is a minimum age to post on this site because, from the looks of things, there are a lot of small children out there.

Just my humble opionion, of course. Ya'll have fun!!

"Stupid" is a strong word to use. "Addicted" may be more appropriate and also more polite.On the other hand,why have bad manners and not use them?

Alan

are there people here really stupid enough to try and pretend that smoking isn't unhealthy???

well, since they choose to be smokers themselves, it's hardly surprising given the level of idiot that would knowingly do this as a hobby. A large dose of self-delusion and a lack of basic smarts? I think so.

The quote had nothing to do with addiction !

It was about people who claim smoking is not a health risk , you took it out of context !

If you go back to the original post where 'stupid' was mentioned...it went on to point out 'a level of idiot' and 'lack of basic smarts'... so in a way it had everything to do with addiction.... Grumm.. as a reformed smoker myself you were right.

Actually I believe that there are laws everywhere protecting against being battered, assaulted, and poisoned. If someone is smoking in a spot where there is no specific rule banning smoking, a good case could be made that they are battering those standing/sitting nearby. I bet within months we start hearing of non-smokers filing (and winning) law suits against smokers for causing them harm, even if smoking is not illegal in the areas where the incident occurred.

This is a good point. Also, what about the children of smokers that live in the same dwelliing as a smoker. If a smoker smokes in the dwelling or in their car in the presence of their children, they are endangering the health and well being of their children.

if these few that have been posting over and over again these last few pages can outbattle each other.:cool:

and I want you on my side when the insurance companies and employers want to charge money for being overweight, having high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Would you step up to the plate for that? I would love you on my side.

if these few that have been posting over and over again these last few pages can outbattle each other.:cool:

and I want you on my side when the insurance companies and employers want to charge money for being overweight, having high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Would you step up to the plate for that? I would love you on my side.

You've been posting quite a bit yourself,not that there is anything wrong with that.You know a lot of insurance,cruise insurance for example already has pre existing condition clauses.Its already here

Maybe instead of the hood, we could have the smokers-bub. It would be an infllatable bubble that they would be encapsulated in while they smoke like the Bubble Boy from Seinfeld.

Another great idea. But, for me, it still seems like it would be best to eliminate the idea of setting something on fire and sucking on it. Then you have the exhaust problem, fire danger, etc. If we could just get away from the fire thing. Maybe a nicotine suppository would work. We're bound to land on a winning idea at some point. Smokers should chime in with their thoughts on the best way to get nicotine in their systems without harming others with their toxic exhaust. Oh, I forgot, smokers have no qualms whatsoever about harming innocent victims. Nevermind.

Another great idea. But, for me, it still seems like it would be best to eliminate the idea of setting something on fire and sucking on it. Then you have the exhaust problem, fire danger, etc. If we could just get away from the fire thing. Maybe a nicotine suppository would work. We're bound to land on a winning idea at some point. Smokers should chime in with their thoughts on the best way to get nicotine in their systems without harming others with their toxic exhaust. Oh, I forgot, smokers have no qualms whatsoever about harming innocent victims. Nevermind.

Some smokers.Most are really kind.No kidding

Anybody ever encounter soot from the smokestack on your balcony chairs and lounges? Ever find it on your pants and shirts when you've been sitting, or standing at the rail?

I have.

Discuss amongst yourselves....

Anybody ever encounter soot from the smokestack on your balcony chairs and lounges? Ever find it on your pants and shirts when you've been sitting, or standing at the rail?

I have.

Discuss amongst yourselves....

I haven't.Why not start a thread and share your experience.I would find it fansinating,but is it soot or residue left by smokers?Oh,but I guess you're leaving the party.We may never know.

I highly doubt it, but knock yourself out if you want to try. I'm sure you could find ample opportunity.

I suggest someone invent some type of BUBBLE (that you can enclose your entire body inside of) since non-smokers are at such a risk of dying from second-hand smoke! There are so many other enviromental issues in the air we BREATHE, that create just as many HEALTH problems. I certainly wouldn't want you to sit on a lounge chair that may have residue from cigs ( definetly couldn't be soot), and get contaminated from RESIDUE, so instead of searching the NET for smoking material....Try seaching for a protected BODY BUBBLE, to prevent you from any type of enviromental health risk that you may be exposed to. Because no matter where you go on this EARTH, there will be cigarette smoke, exhaust emissions, ultra voilet rays, food additives that CAUSE CANCER, cancer causing additives FED TO ANIMALS that cause cancer, and it goes on and on and ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May you LIVE FOREVER IN YOUR BUBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN

I suggest someone invent some type of BUBBLE (that you can enclose your entire body inside of) since non-smokers are at such a risk of dying from second-hand smoke! There are so many other enviromental issues in the air we BREATHE, that create just as many HEALTH problems. I certainly wouldn't want you to sit on a lounge chair that may have residue from cigs ( definetly couldn't be soot), and get contaminated from RESIDUE, so instead of searching the NET for smoking material....Try seaching for a protected BODY BUBBLE, to prevent you from any type of enviromental health risk that you may be exposed to. Because no matter where you go on this EARTH, there will be cigarette smoke, exhaust emissions, ultra voilet rays, food additives that CAUSE CANCER, cancer causing additives FED TO ANIMALS that cause cancer, and it goes on and on and ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May you LIVE FOREVER IN YOUR BUBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN

I agree.

Archived