Scuba & snorkel on same excursion

#1PATSFAN

Be careful on this one. My dh dives and I snorkel. In Cozumel one co. (Eagle Ray Divers) took snorkelers, novice divers, and experienced divers all on one boat to an area near Palancar Reef. The newer divers had trouble w/the current where we first stopped (and snorkelers - me and one husband/wife couple were also dropped off there). Within minutes the boat left w/all the divers because of the current issues. The divers were taken elsewhere. We snorkelers were left in the water for about an hr. at least, w/NO contact w/the boat! We couldn't see it and didn't know where/why it had gone, other than we saw it leaving w/the divers at a distance. Our snorkeling guide spoke very, very little English (fortunately I speak just enough Spanish to get by). The seas got a bit rougher after a while and the other lady suddenly began to panic and hyperventilate. (I was getting a bit cold by then myself and was ready to get out of the water, though this was in March.) The husband had to calm her down and our guide started swimming to another boat about 150 ft. from us but it was leaving! A small boat came by and our guide got his attention. The man driving that boat called our boat, and within 10 min. our boat came for us. Although the people were very nice at Eagle Ray, and they had 2 boats going to different areas, our boat was S-L-O-W, which is another thing to steer clear of. It was obvious Eagle Ray was trying to be all things to all types of divers and snorkelers, and it was difficult to be the RIGHT thing for everyone in the group. Several people were let off the boat at a resort because although we were to have 2 stops, there was not time, and we wanted to get back closer to our ship as time was marching on. Eagle Ray refunded part of our money and was fair about everything.

Additionally, I have gone w/my husband on a couple of dive outings -just for the ride, really. As long as there is someone on the boat to watch out for me, I've sometimes just snorkeled around the boat while the divers have gone down. Usually the location has been quite deep, so I don't see as much as I would at a normal snorkeling site. But I did swim around w/a turtle in Kauai 2 yrs. ago! Normally I just sign up for a ship's or other tour when in a port for just one day and let my dh just go ahead and dive. At first I felt wierd doing this, but have now done it so much that I have no problem w/it. There are always nice people around to chat with.

My point in all of this is, BE SURE when you arrange something w/a dive operator (who tells you that you can snorkel as well) that you will be given a chance in the right type of area to really snorkel. Stingray City has a diver's area where the water is about 12 ft. or so deep. Then there is the sandbar, where non-divers go. Grand Cayman is a SUPER place to snorkel and you won't want to miss seeing a coral reef there. Coral Gardens alone is georgeous. And divers can visit deeper places for themselves that are good. So, choose your excursion carefully to make sure you both get the most out of it. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. That must have been very scary for you, like a scene out of the movie "Open Water". Thank god you all got back safe! I will definetly either book a scuba or snorkel trip but not both.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually going with Neptune Divers in Grand Cayman. My wife Scuba Dives and I snorkel. I will let you know how they do. I did this once in St. Thomas and it was great. I am person that loves to snorkel and be free. I hate going in groups and wearing a life jacket, even those that you can fill up yourself.

jon

I am actually going with Neptune Divers in Grand Cayman. My wife Scuba Dives and I snorkel. I will let you know how they do. I did this once in St. Thomas and it was great. I am person that loves to snorkel and be free. I hate going in groups and wearing a life jacket, even those that you can fill up yourself.

jon

Casey is really nice. You should have a good time.

Archived