19mo,-toys for dining room

dnj1

Fingerfoods should not be overlooked as a great source of entertainment. Bring your own of your child's favorite cereal and sprinkle a few in front of them (Gerber has the "non choking" cereal O's). Most of the waitstaff is pretty good about making certain you won't sit around too long. If you are at a table with others that are not with your group, make your apologies that your family WILL order when they are seated and not observe the "niceity" of waiting until everyone on the table has come.

Our DD never used a pacifier, but I discovered the pacifier "leashes" were useful to hook small toys to her stroller/highchair/carrier.

As other's have mentioned - few parts to get lost (or tossed) and easily manupulated (stay within the toys age guidelines) are good places to start.

If you do use a dvd and/or other electronic device, consider earphones and if not be VERY consciencious about the volume, the placement, and of other diners around you. Those posters who have railed against DVD players primarily fall into two camps -- 1 those who recall that "in their day" kids were expected to sit up straight and endure dinner, (the need a emoticon with a smiley face with his tongue sticking out!) and 2 those who indicate that the noise and/or flicker disturbs them.

:) My dd is going on her 3rd cruise this August. On her first cruise, she was 18 mos old. Last year, we cruised when she was 3 1/2, and this August she will be 4 1/2. I would not bring the DVD player to the dining room (just my opinion). I would bring a few small toys, and activities. I try to bring one new item each night to keep dd occupied. With a young child, small finger foods would be great. Aquadoodle is a great toy, that uses water instead of anything messy to draw with. Target always has some great books/activities in their $1 section. I think if your child is good in a restaraunt, they will be fine on the cruise. The waiters are wonderful with the kids!!! My dd loves to order fruit coctail for an appetizer, and steak for dinner! She loves cruising, and I am sure your child will as well!!! Enjoy your vacation!!!

Question....

Why not just avoid all this muss, fuss and stress (which toy? to DVD or not to DVD? where to sit?) and hire a babysitter to play with your child for the 2 hours that you are at dinner?

If you leave your baby in your room with the DVD player, they can turn it up as loud as they need too and no one will complain, no one gets batted upside the head with keys and everyone has a relaxed, stress free, evening....

:confused:

I always travel with my kids (14 cruises) and I have to say I'd find the DVD player really annoying during meals. We have taken our grandson our last 2 cruises - he was about 1 and 2 (and turns 3 on the next one). We brought a toy to dinner BUT 2 hours is a long time to keep a child happy and they will fuss. It just can't be helped. Make sure you order her food right away - take small breaks with her - a little trip out to the lobby inbetween courses and simply keep distracting her by her surroundings. Be prepared to hurry your dinner as well.

I love kids - mine and for the most part others - BUT there are a lot of people that paid to cruise child free and/or annoyance free and they didn't figure on having to deal or listen to your child on their cruise. Its not fair they have to either.

DVD on the plane, in the car, at the airport, even on deck is fine. But at dinner common courtesy needs to be shown to others. If you are eating in the dining room you are in "a fancy restaurant" and the appropriate manners should be used.

I am going on a 12 night cruise with my 19 month old next week, so I understand your concerns. We go out to eat all the time, and he is pretty good at dinner, but can't sit through a long meal without taking a break. So, having someone get up with him, taking a little walk to explore, and then coming back to the table usually works well. I have found that sticker books work really well lately, so I got a new Thomas sticker set. I am going to get a few more new toys/activities. Olives, bread, fruit all keep him busy eating. Good luck. I am sure that it will be wonderful.

Question....

Why not just avoid all this muss, fuss and stress (which toy? to DVD or not to DVD? where to sit?) and hire a babysitter to play with your child for the 2 hours that you are at dinner?

If you leave your baby in your room with the DVD player, they can turn it up as loud as they need too and no one will complain, no one gets batted upside the head with keys and everyone has a relaxed, stress free, evening....

Gulp, this is what I was thinking too.

Cheryl

I am going on a 12 night cruise with my 19 month old next week, so I understand your concerns. We go out to eat all the time, and he is pretty good at dinner, but can't sit through a long meal without taking a break. So, having someone get up with him, taking a little walk to explore, and then coming back to the table usually works well. I have found that sticker books work really well lately, so I got a new Thomas sticker set. I am going to get a few more new toys/activities. Olives, bread, fruit all keep him busy eating. Good luck. I am sure that it will be wonderful.

Thanks for your advice. Stickers would be great. :)

First of all, at normal volume, we can't hear it even when I'm 2 seats away from it. There are so much louder talking voices and general background sound and music around us that no one ever notices the DVD players.

Secondly, just turn it off if someone at the next table voices a complaint which is not very likely.

So don't let anyone worry you and play the DVDs for your child. If anything, you'll likely attract the kids at the next table to come over.

Go to the maitre d' on the day you board the ship and ask for a table for your family only. Just tell the guy that you don't want your child to bother others who sit at the same table as your family. Most maitre d's are more willing to help you out. Get a corner table so your child can play on the floor at the corner if he wants to get off the high chair.

Stickers with a sticker book--this way, it'll prevent your child from using the stickers on furniture.

Start eating at McDonald's. Get their happy meal toys. Each new toy should keep a child interested for one meal. You can probably buy bulk from ebay if you prefer not to eat there.

Don't feed your child his/her favorite snack for one week prior to embarkation. Whip it out when your child is mis-behaving.

Toy cars for boys and little dolls for girls, unless your child prefers the opposite.

Photo album of the child. Take photo of everything from your house, of his friends, his toys, etc... and put it in a simple photo album (you can probably get a thin plastic one from the Dollar Store). Kids that age like to look at photos of themselves too.

Just curious, on every Carnival cruise I have been on during dinner they "flicker" the lights as they sing songs at the end of the meal. How does this "flickering" differ from the DVD player or that of a flash camera?

Julie

First of all, at normal volume, we can't hear it even when I'm 2 seats away from it. There are so much louder talking voices and general background sound and music around us that no one ever notices the DVD players.

Secondly, just turn it off if someone at the next table voices a complaint which is not very likely.

So don't let anyone worry you and play the DVDs for your child. If anything, you'll likely attract the kids at the next table to come over.

Go to the maitre d' on the day you board the ship and ask for a table for your family only. Just tell the guy that you don't want your child to bother others who sit at the same table as your family. Most maitre d's are more willing to help you out. Get a corner table so your child can play on the

floor at the corner if he wants to get off the high chair.

Stickers with a sticker book--this way, it'll prevent your child from using the stickers on furniture.

Start eating at McDonald's. Get their happy meal toys. Each new toy should keep a child interested for one meal. You can probably buy bulk from ebay if you prefer not to eat there.

Don't feed your child his/her favorite snack for one week prior to embarkation. Whip it out when your child is mis-behaving.

Toy cars for boys and little dolls for girls, unless your child prefers the opposite.

Photo album of the child. Take photo of everything from your house, of his friends, his toys, etc... and put it in a simple photo album (you can probably get a thin plastic one from the Dollar Store). Kids that age like to look at photos of themselves too.

I really don't wont to cause problems, I just want to have a nice dinner with my girls 7 yo and 19 mo. I have been amazed to read how people can tell what type of parent I am, by wanting to allow my child to watch a DVD player on the cruise while at dinner. :D Thanks for positive advise, and not generalizing all moms.

Just curious, on every Carnival cruise I have been on during dinner they "flicker" the lights as they sing songs at the end of the meal. How does this "flickering" differ from the DVD player or that of a flash camera?

Julie

The differance is when they flicker the lights to sing they are trying to get your attention. Where as with the DVD player you are not trying to get the other dinners attention,or maybe you are hahahaha:D , but it can cause the same effect as flickering the lights to some dinners.

Katie

I think as long as you show manners and are respectful to the dinners around you it's no big deal.

Question....

Oh how I wish this was an option however since my husband doesn't believe in paying babysitters on land and the ship charges less then the a local babysitter it will mean that mommy (me) will be eating in the cabin with my son alone while my husband has a great time with our friends in the dining room.

I know filling him up with bread, o's or the like is not an option because then he will be full by the time the real food comes and then it will be time to leave the dining room and my diner will be over as well and I didn't get to eat a bite. :(

I don't know about sticker books because right now all I think he will do is either tear them apart or eat them (currently 22 months).

Earphones on the DVD player. How old do they have to be to actually keep them on? I know my son likes to drag them on the floor not wear them.

I think that if I have to resort to the DVD player because the toys/books (and on one thread on a board one woman on a cruise approached a mom and said it was rude for her child to read at the table so basically no matter what you have your child do you are at risk as a parent for being chastised by somebody) aren't working as long as I go out of my way not to disturb those around me I feel like saying either the DVD player is on the table or you put up with a 26 month old having a temper tantrum your choice. In the meantime I do hope that the atmosphere and business and bustling will keep him entertained and I won't need the DVD player.

Oh how I wish this was an option however since my husband doesn't believe in paying babysitters on land and the ship charges less then the a local babysitter it will mean that mommy (me) will be eating in the cabin with my son alone while my husband has a great time with our friends in the dining room.

Since your husband doesnt believe in babysitters :mad: then tell him "Fine, stay and watch the baby, I'm out!" :cool:

Or is he the sole breadwinner and, therefore, he paid for the cruise and his word is gospel? (Maybe it's time for a new husband!)

I think that if I have to resort to the DVD player because the toys/books (and on one thread on a board one woman on a cruise approached a mom and said it was rude for her child to read at the table so basically no matter what you have your child do you are at risk as a parent for being chastised by somebody) aren't working as long as I go out of my way not to disturb those around me I feel like saying either the DVD player is on the table or you put up with a 26 month old having a temper tantrum your choice. In the meantime I do hope that the atmosphere and business and bustling will keep him entertained and I won't need the DVD player.

I really wouldn't worry about it - you're bringing an assortment of items to keep him entertained, plus the spectacle of the restaurant itself and the different food items coming his way, I bet he's going to do better than you're fearing. The dining room is used to children and they handle families extremely well. Except for once or twice, I've always made it through my entree - and I'm outnumbered by my toddlers - but they are enjoying themselves so much too, that we all get to have a lovely dinner. The few times they act up, it's easy enough to leave and go grab something at the buffet, so even if he has a bad night or two, it's not so terrible - more time to take him dancing :)

Best,

Mia

Since your husband doesnt believe in babysitters :mad: then tell him "Fine, stay and watch the baby, I'm out!" :cool:

Or is he the sole breadwinner and, therefore, he paid for the cruise and his word is gospel? (Maybe it's time for a new husband!)

You got that right about the sole breadwinner. I had gone back to work but because of his commute time I am a single parent Monday - Friday and it became ridiculous and exhausting (He works a shifted schedule to avoid rush hour so would come home late so getting up early with the baby and staying up late with him and then latter doing my paperwork meant only 2 or 3 hours of sleep for me). Also, he really is not a good caretaker. He loves his son he's just has no clue what to do or how to do it and as far as feeding him and with no high chair in the room and no plastic on the floor I would end up having to get them to steam clean the room every night if he fed him. During the day the friends we are with will give me a break (she says as long as it's not her kids she doesn't care LOL). At home he can feed him we have tile in the kitchen. LOL Oh and somehow with me my son doesn't throw the plate on the floor.

My husband has a learned helplessness caused by his mother who basically never taught him any skills in the kitchen (in fact never let him in the kitchen- didn't learn this part till after the wedding took place of course) and he continued it by basically making sure he messes up anytime I give him responsibility. We won't talk about what happen when I asked my husband to keep an eye on him at the mall while I bought some tokens for the carrousel. :eek:

He's just stuck on the fact that his parents couldn't afford babysitters therefore why do we need them. But his grandmother lived near by. He wants my mom to help out three days a week and I said how much are we going to pay her. He said but she's a grandma. I said she has to drive 45 minutes each way and gas is expensive.

Actually for the most part I think my son will be rather easy on the ship because he hates staying home and likes being busy and loves walking and walking and walking and that is exactly what he will have the opportunity to do. It's just dinner at the end of the day when he may be cranky that has me nervous. And I know some days will be worse then others. My guess is that sea days will be better because the ships motion will help him nap better. The worst day will be the first because his nap time will be messed up.

I really wouldn't worry about it - you're bringing an assortment of items to keep him entertained' date=' plus the spectacle of the restaurant itself and the different food items coming his way, I bet he's going to do better than you're fearing. The dining room is used to children and they handle families extremely well. Except for once or twice, I've always made it through my entree - and I'm outnumbered by my toddlers - but they are enjoying themselves so much too, that we all get to have a lovely dinner. The few times they act up, it's easy enough to leave and go grab something at the buffet, so even if he has a bad night or two, it's not so terrible - more time to take him dancing

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Unfortunetly a buffet is not a backup option on a celebrity cruise. The buffet area is turned into a reservation only dining area that is more relaxed than the regular dining room so basically the backup is pizza, hotdogs, hamburgers, and room service. I would say more along the lines of anytime dining with reservations. But the group I am with including myself prefers the dining room with the same wait staff every night and the formality. I'm hoping my nerves are for nothing. I'm just going through my son's terrible twos right now and I don't even enjoy going to the grocery store with him anymore because he goes from happy to meltdown to happy to meltdown. Although everyone there is so supportive. Moms and grandmas come up to me and give me advice and support. Most of the advice is pretty good as they hear me mumbling I will not get him a balloon for screaming I will not get him a balloon for screaming.

larrony-

Okay, I will never complain about my husband again. (well not exactly), but I will be more thankful. Sounds like you have a lot of work on your hands and are in desperate need of a relaxing cruise. Your DH sounds out of control.... what are you going to do????:( It is not your friends job to help out. Hello.....its your husbands.:p My advise???? Disappear at least for 2 hours each day on your cruise. :D Surely your child will survive without you. He may be dirty when you return...but "friend" you need a BREAK!! Let your DH wonder where you are. Go to the library, gym,lido deck, play on the elevators or something. It is much easier with 2 people raising a child (taking turns). You should talk to him about that.

Good Luck!!!

Yea! It really sounds like your husband needs to Man Up and take care of the baby. I am a working mother. I stayed home for 12 weeks after my baby was born. I can tell you first hand that working is FAR easier then being a stay at home mother!

So, what you need to do is take the baby to the dining room. If the baby acts up, look at your husband and ask him if HE wants to take the baby back to the room. If he doesn't then just sit there and let that baby act up! Eat your dinner and look at him as if to say "what's the problem?" If he even questions your intentions simply respond "well, I guess we should have hired an in room babysitter, huh?"

P.S. If I actively dont want to do something I do it really badly. That way my spou,se will just decide to do that task himself and do it right, rather than let me make a mess everywhere.

This kind of manipulation is called being passive aggressive...

Stop making excuses for your husband. If he could learn to drive he can learn how to take care of a baby!

Think about it....

You haven't seen my husband drive, if that's what you can call it. He is one of those that thinks that if you have enough room to slam on your brakes he can cut you off.

Anyway I was on bed rest for three months of my pregnancy I know what he is capable of when forced and well not worth forcing him. As far as using passive aggression to get him to take the baby out of the dining room I think the Maitre D' would be forced to ban us from the dining room because everyone else would be complaining and I do mean everyone else. And it would be too late to reserve babysitting at that point because from what I understand you need to do that the moment you board.

I do think it would be great if my husband would watch him so I can go to the Gym because I have always bragged that I have either never gained a pound or have lost weight on a cruise because I always work out. (no I'm not skinny-used to be) But we'll see. I don't want that to be during the baby's nap time unless he takes a long nap because I want a nap time too.

If this weren't a almost free cruise (canceled cruise last year so given equivalent cruise baby to hard for grandma to take care of for a whole week this year) we would have chosen a different cruise line where he could have gone into the play area without a parent. Actually that's probably what I'll have my husband do is spend time with him in the kids play area with him. Chances are they will allow it with a parent.

As far as my husband, a friend's husband is always going off on trips with his buddies to Vegas or fishing or staying out late playing poker with the boys and mine believes in doing things with the family so when you think you have it bad someone else always has it worse. My friend and I say what you have is better then the unknown. Then we laugh. And just for an example my husband won't be home before 10:30 or 11:00pm tonight, which is why I had the long days when I tried to work but he has learned how to take a plate out of the fridge and heat it up in the microwave but he usually has to confirm every time how long to cook it for. He now says that our son takes up too much energy for me to work, but he will be going to preschool next year and I'll be going back to work part time.

I've been around children my whole life, I had a large extended family I was close to, I've always babysat, and my career choice has always exposed me to children. My husband has had minimal exposure to children so he just had no clue. When our son was born he didn't know anything other what we were taught in babycare class which I made him take (learned on a doll) (and I sent him to Daddy Boot Camp), but they don't have toddler care classes. I honestly believe he stopped his my wife will work full time argument after he realized how hard it really was. I think he is trying the best he can given the tools he has. He absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt adores our son he's just decided that parenthood is a lot harder then he ever thought. Well Amen so we actually agree on something. This forum wouldn't exist if parenthood were easy.

If finding a new husband (and a real father for your child) really is not an option, I guess you need to work with the one you've got :D .

1) loosen your standards. Give this "daddy" some simple tasks. If he breaks a dish or two or if the floor isn't clean enough to eat off of, so be it. Give him time to learn, don't criticize what he DOES do, but make it very clear that he is not going to get a free ride here -- life is not like on "Leave it to Beaver" -- and quitting because it is "too hard" isn't an option in parenthood.

2) Live YOUR life, not HIS. Let him know that you can have a life TOGETHER, but you need to be an equal partner in this whole thing.

3) Make certain he spends some quality one-on-one time with his son. You certainly don't want your son to grow up to be like your MIL's son?!?!!! He can be responsible for Junior for 20 minutes in your house while you take a walk or something. You need to be absent, he needs to be Daddy.

4) As to the cruise, Book the sitters (at least for a few nights). Make this non-negotable. Let him know that you KNOW he is not willing or capabable of caring for HIS son and that because of his shortcomings this is the ONLY option. If you are going to be stuck in the cabin while he's out with his friends, why bother going?

It really sounds like you have two little boys on your hands. Good luck and stand your ground.

If finding a new husband (and a real father for your child) really is not an option, I guess you need to work with the one you've got :D .

1) loosen your standards. Give this "daddy" some simple tasks. If he breaks a dish or two or if the floor isn't clean enough to eat off of, so be it. Give him time to learn, don't criticize what he DOES do, but make it very clear that he is not going to get a free ride here -- life is not like on "Leave it to Beaver" -- and quitting because it is "too hard" isn't an option in parenthood.

2) Live YOUR life, not HIS. Let him know that you can have a life TOGETHER, but you need to be an equal partner in this whole thing.

3) Make certain he spends some quality one-on-one time with his son. You certainly don't want your son to grow up to be like your MIL's son?!?!!! He can be responsible for Junior for 20 minutes in your house while you take a walk or something. You need to be absent, he needs to be Daddy.

4) As to the cruise, Book the sitters (at least for a few nights). Make this non-negotable. Let him know that you KNOW he is not willing or capabable of caring for HIS son and that because of his shortcomings this is the ONLY option. If you are going to be stuck in the cabin while he's out with his friends, why bother going?

It really sounds like you have two little boys on your hands. Good luck and stand your ground.

AMEN, AMEN and AMEN!

He does spend time with his son. He actually likes watching the Wiggles. LOL And the house isn't spotless there are toys all over the family room. And I do leave them alone for short durations either quick shopping trips or longer times if nap time is included. If meal time is included (rarely) I write down very detailed step by step directions. But they do play together it's the difference between playing and being responsible without detailed instructions that is the difference. My son is a bit of a klutz, blood is a frequent occurrence, my husband freaks (making the baby cry louder) and doesn't know what to do I have the cool head, check for another chipped tooth (2 so far and we did have to have a dental x-ray no damage, but dentist is keeping an eye on them) and grab the cloth, clean the mess and decide whether ice is necessary. My husband is waiting till he's old enough to play baseball. I hope he realizes that injuries can happen their too.:D When he was 5 months old we went to a pre-season baseball game next time we go we will have a baby hard hat).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bringing a dvd player too (with headphones) for my two boys...we are sitting with just my parents. What can you do? My 2 year old would be runnning laps around the table if we didn't and I don't want to repremand him every two seconds in front of other people. Flame me if you like...but we are more polite than most. better to have him sit than to disturb other diners. BTW my 5 yr old is good as gold...but he didn't sit well at aged 2 either.

Archived