Cruise/travel noob help plz.

brandymleahy

I know this is kindof odd but can someone give me like a walkthrough of what is to be expected from parking to sailing. I am really anxious and think if I know what to expect then I won't have all these butterflies in my stomach. Thank you very much.

I know this is kindof odd but can someone give me like a walkthrough of what is to be expected from parking to sailing. I am really anxious and think if I know what to expect then I won't have all these butterflies in my stomach. Thank you very much.
Where you're embarking will help getting you specifics, but here's the Cliff's Notes version:

1. Parking usually requires paying when you park. Most cruisers will suggest dropping off your luggage and fellow travelers first.

2. Drop off your luggage with a porter. A tip of $1 or $2 per baggage should be included.

3. Scan of carry-on and personal bags.

4. Check-in with cruise/port staff. Includes showing ID and proof of citizenship, setting up of Sail & Sign account and getting S&S card. Usually will require a wait of some time depending on when you arrive originally.

5. Finally a pre-cruise picture before boarding.

It really is a fairly painless procedure.

In advance of your cruise you should have completed the Funpass online. This means all of your party’s personal information is in Carnival’s computers. This information will be on the ship’s manifest and you are ready to sail. If you were to forget your boarding pass you would have no trouble checking in as long as everyone has their required ID.

Most ports have a parking lot. Some lots do not accept credit cards and will require cash payment in advance. Many port have private lots, some are cheaper than the port lot, some accept credit cards, you can research your port on the Departures boards. I prefer to drop my wife off at the terminal with the luggage. She finds a porter and gives him our checked bags while I park. She waits with our carry-ons till I return and we enter the terminal together.

Once inside you will go through security just like in an airport. After security you will be directed to either a VIP queue or the regular queue. Once at the desk you will be asked for your boarding pass, ID and a credit card to be used to secure your ship board account. You will receive your Sign and Sail card and be directed to the waiting area. Once boarding begins you will have your picture taken twice. The first will be a picture of your group that will later be offered for sail to you as a souvenier. The second time will be for security before boarding the ship. You will be asked for your S&S card which will be inserted in a machine. Your picture will be taken and matched to your card on the ship’s computer. Every time you leave and return to the ship you will repeat this procedure. This is so that the ship knows who is off the ship, and to make sure that the person returning is actually you.

Next you board the ship. Usually you will be greeted and given a pocket deck plan. If it is early your cabin may not be ready and you will be directed to the Lido buffet for lunch. If cabins are ready you will be directed there. That’s pretty much it. You are free to explore the ship until muster/safety drill. After the safety drill you will be setting sail and off.

Archived