If not Sunset Beach then where?

radiata

I am traveling on Carnival Conquest on Sept 9 with DW(25) and DD(4). We were all set on Sunset Beach but being closed on our date for remodeling has thrown us for a loop.:confused: Is there anywhere else that has a great price with about the same amenities geared towards a family??

Thanks in Advance!!

Kyle and Bridget

Don't know if this helps (or add to the confusion?) But I emailed sunset beach today, because I was all set set to go there in September also. this is what my email said:

"We will be accepting day pass people in September and the rates are $40US per adult & $20US per child. You are not required to make reservations for day pass you can come directly to the hotel and pay, i assure it will be available.

Thank you"

So maybe you do not have to cancel out the sunset beach option:)

Thank you.....I emailed them as well shortly before I posted. They finally emailed back and said the same thing.

I e-mailed them as well and got a different response. They told me that the resort would be closed Sept 4 to Oct 7. I did mention that I was coming on a cruise. It may be worth it to contact them directly by phone closer to the sailing date and confirm. If they are accepting day pass visitors during this time, it might be a really good time to visit as it won't be very busy without all their regular hotel customers.

This was the response I got from Sunset Beach

"Hi,

Unfortunately we will be closed in September however, we are happy to say that we will still be accepting day pass people and this is from 10am-6pm."

I will still take your suggestion and call to double check a couple of weeks before departing. Thanks again.

This would be great if they're still accepting day pass visitors. I would imagine since it's still $40 a person, they still feed you and provide the drinks as before? I hope they do, as I would like my daughter and SIL to be able to spend the day there. I told them I'd pay for it, and all it would cost is the cab fare to get there which is pretty cheap.

I actually just got off the phone with one of the managers of Sunset Beach, Montego Bay. They told me that "more than likely" they will have the resort open to cruise pax. I asked when they might know for sure and they suggested I call back next week. They said that they are "still considering that and will know for sure next week".

I will be on the Conquest that leaves Galveston on Sept. 30.

We have decided that if Sunset Beach is closed (never been there) then we will probably just stay on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I read on another post that only the pool side grill and some of the bars will be open during their remodel. This would will be absolutely fine for my DD and SIL, and I am anxious for them to experience this place. It will give them a great overview having both a nice sandy beach with water toys and the water park and pools.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were there a week or two ago. Food was good, all you can drink, etc. for $40. Pretty good deal.

My wife was pretty disappointed in the place since it is under construction. About half the beach is closed off and one of the pools (the one with the swim up bar). The beach was kinda chewed up by the construction trucks driving through. Shade was kinda scarce on the beach.

All in all I liked the place. The grounds were well kept and beautiful. Dining was outdoors and the flies were annoying, but I liked the food. It was an all you can eat buffet, many salads and desserts. There was a seasoned rice that was very good, little BBQ ribs, chicken which I believe was "jerk" (kinda like a spicy version of what we'd call BBQ'ed), cauliflower, and seems like there were pork chops, but don't recall for sure.

In a way it was nice that the hotel part was mostly closed. There weren't more than 2 or 3 dozen people there. Sure wasn't crowded! Most of the folks there were cruise ship pax. There is a bar on the beach, and even an "au naturale" section where swimsuits were forbidden! It sure wasn't crowded. Sounds like a good way to get a mean sunburn!

Have a great cruise and enjoy Sunset if you go.

JHC

We were there a week or two ago. Food was good, all you can drink, etc. for $40. Pretty good deal.

Have a great cruise and enjoy Sunset if you go.

JHC

We're wondering how far it is to resort from cruise pier. Is it within walking distance or will we need a cab??

Also, I've been trying to contact them via the 800 number for the last three days and can't get through. No response on email that I sent 3 days ago either.....:confused:

You dont want to walk!

When you get off the ship you will walk through a large building - this is where you will find good shopping just before you get back on your ship.

On the other side of the the building, there will be security guards, and taxis.

They will ask you where you want to go and help you in a taxi. At that point, they will open the large metal gate ( yes, the whole area is surrounded by a tall metal fence) and the taxi will leave. The gate will be closed.

It's about a 2 minute cab ride.

Ok, so we just got back from the carnival conquest on Sept. 30th and they were open. Lots of construction. We still got food and drinks. Got to use the water slides and lazy river pool area. The beach area that was open was pretty small. Also they had a lot of jelly fish (moon jellyfish). My husband and I got a guide that took us snorkling a was out. It was pretty fun. The guide let us touch the jellyfish to show us that they wouldn't hurt us! And we all did just fine. so we still had a really great time!!

How was the water park area?Except for the construction was the resort well kept.How about the noise level.Thinking of going here on our cruise in November.Did they say when they will be done with the work?Thanks for any info.Mike

The cab ride was really cheap, so as said you probably don't want to walk. One of the security guards set us up with our driver, the price was supposedly $5, when we got there he only asked for $2!!!!! I gave him like $6. He tried to get us to hire him for an island tour which we politely declined (we'd been told to expect that). He asked us 2 or 3 times but wasn't TOO pushy and finally took no for an answer.

Happy sailing,

JHC

Thank you.....I emailed them as well shortly before I posted. They finally emailed back and said the same thing.

What email address did you sent it to? I have been using the one on the website and have gotten no response and the phone number doesn't work. Does anyone have a working number or email for Sunset Beach?

Archived