what to do in Long Beach?

Our ship arrives at 7am

Probably be off ship & thru customs at 10am???? ya think

Our flight leaves at around 4pm need to be there at 2:30PM

What would you do with the time (we'll have luggage:(

Any suggestions appreciated

Not much time with the freeway traffic. There is a pretty good restaurant on the second floor of the LGB Airport that overlooks the runway. Also the Queen Mary is at the pier. I don't think you will have time to do the aquarium of the pacific.

We have the same problem...we are hoping to be off the ship last...go to the airport (long beach) and check our luggage and then head back downtown and go to the aquarium..or just check out downtown Long Beach for a few hours...

Our flight left around 5-ish. We rented a car for the day and went to Venice Beach and explored around there. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to get there from Long Beach (depending on traffic). We had a ball.

Are you flying out of LAX or Long Beach airport? This makes a big difference. You need to be at LAX at least 2 hours prior to your flight. You are fine with just 1 hour for Long Beach, and it is closer to the port, so travel time is significantly less as well.

A rental car makes a lot of sense, since you could do what you want, and have a place to keep your luggage, then drop the car at the airport.

The airport you are leaving out of is important. If LAX then you want to leave the port area by 1:00pm to make sure you make it to your flight. If Long Beach, then you want to leave the port area by 2:30pm to make sure you make it to your flight.

The best way to store luggage just for the day is a rental car. If you are going to LAX, then just check out the area around the Queen Mary (you can tour the ship and check out the local shops). If you are going to Long Beach, then go over to the Aquarium of the Pacific. You can see a lot in the four hours you will have there.

Here is an overview of the Long Beach dock ...

LongBeach.jpg

LongBeachportarea.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there I'm working on a possible soulution that might just work for your luggage problem and just might be a whole lot of fun. Have you thought of a bike ride down our lovely beach? The Bikestation has rentals available. What a great way to spend your last afternoon in our great city.

I've sent them an e-mail asking them if luggage storeage might be available. Their local number is 562-436 Bike.

I'm waiting for a response.

Winnie

Where does your ship dock? What is your airport? If your ship docks in San Pedro, you still have to go over the St. Vincent Thomas Bridge to get to downtown Long Beach. There isn't much to do near the cruise terminal in San Pedro. I like the idea of a rental car. It gives you a lot of options, taking care of your luggage, giving you a chance to sightsee a bit and getting you to the airport on time.

Hi there,

I got an e-mail response from the Bikestation Long Beach and got the answer I expected. The Station Manager responded they certainly would be able to store luggage while someone was riding for the day after their cruise.

Long Beach has a great system of bike trails. One that is very popular and very close to the cruise terminal is the one down the beach through the beach area of Long Beach and down to Belmont Shore.

A ride down the beach would not only allow someone to get a view of this great city from a slower pace. Nearby the Beach bike trail are some of the areas favorite restaurants for refreshments.

It's a thought no worries about your luggage the Bikestation is close to the Cruise Terminal and no car rental would be necessary. It would not be difficult to get transportation to the Long Beach Airport from here either.

Here's their website if you'd like additional information:http://www.bikestation.org/.

Enjoy,

Winnie

Archived