Orient house in Istanbul - anyone been?

We are booking a private tour with Nejat Incedogan in Istanbul, after several glowing recs. on CC. He does an evening tour including a dinner/show at this restaurant - would love to hear what the experience was like for those who have been.

Thanks,

Sheli

My husband and I did this tour May '06 with Nejat. Nejat set up a group of 8 people and we all had such a fun time. The entertainment was great as well as the food. Nejat is the best tour guide. Tell Nejat that Linda Baker from Oceania cruise says hello. We also had Nejat as a tour guide in Ephesus.

We are on the same sailing as the OP and are also considering this dinner. My question is this. Is this something that you would take your 10 year old daughter too?

Hi Sheli, Nejat says that he has the room if we would like to join you, which we would love to do, but I need to find out if it's okay for my daughter to go before I commit.

Ron

Good question about a 10 year old. The entertainment is a show of folk dancers, whirling derviches, belly dancers, drummers, singing and a Turkish wedding ceremony. The only problem may be that the belly dancing can get a little provocative depending upon the people in the restaurant. They have a man go up on the stage and dance with the belly dancer. I am not sure if they still have a website (Google Orient House Istanbul) but you can check it out. If I remember correctly it had videos of the entertainment and a copy of the menu. It was a really fun night. People from all over the world go there. Food is really good (lots of it).

I might be wrong but it seems we were there for about 3-4 hours.Some one else may have a better idea.Also your guide probably has a idea.You may want to e-mail them.When I booked with Nejat I asked him about taking our 12 year granddaugther.He said he thought she would enjoy it and she did.

We did the Orient House show with Nejat last June. Nejat will ensure you have a good time. He gets the table right in front of the stage (we felt we were on the stage). All the staff know and love Nejat (if you can imagine he is taking people there many nights a week every week!)

Your 10 year daughter will love it. It goes on until at least 11pm if you leave right after the show. You can stay and dance afterwards.

My Opinion...For me it was extremely touristy and I personally do not like that. So I would not go again...if you are like me where you prefer to enjoy a show more from your seat than being dragged up on stage by some lounge singer, than do not go! Save the money and have a beautiful dinner on one of the gorgeous arabesque rooftop patios in old Istanbul.

I personally want to be left alone with a polite 'no thanks' when approched to get on stage. I am a self admitted anti-audience participation. If you are not a LOVER of the dreaded audience participation then DO NOT go with Nejat. Or make him understand you want a table further back. Being right in the front row we were not allowed to just sit and watch without feeling harassed quite a few times. We were made to feel if we were not on stage then we couldn't possibly enjoy ourselves. This actually made me not enjoy myself. It did become very touristy and hoaky especially near the end, with the belly dancing competition.

I was expecting something more where we were going to dinner and there was belly dancers performing while roaming around the room...no, this was a dinner show. I am being very frank...I know...but I wished someone warned me. I am not being negative or puttiing it down in anyway. It is just that there are people like me and we know who we are. :)

If this is what you want then you will love it. All the belly dancers, folk dancers were really good so was the dinner. BTW - We were on Oceania and had an overnight in Istanbul. We went to the Orient house the first night and the second afternoon or night the headliner belly dancer performed on the ship.

Archived