Agadir on your own

ianj

Anyone know how easy it is to get to the beach at Agadir... here's a quote from another site.....

'Agadir is all right but not the main attraction although they have a big sandy beach there with many little cafe's overlooking it'

Are there taxis at the dock?... do you get hassled by vendors?.... what's available in town/ at the beach?... what are costs etc.

Any info appreciated

While I can't be specific about locations - I can tell you the hotel name where we stayed as a point of reference - the "Al Medina Palace" from where we based our excursions to the beach and shopping.

The thing about Agadir is that it was leveled by an earthquake in the 60's and was rebuilt so there is nothing historical or ancient to see. When we were there a few years ago they were trying to promote it as more of a beach resort. We used it as a base to tour other places ( Taroudant, Marrekesh, Canaries) How long are you in port?

If I remember correctly you will probably have to get a cab from the port to the beach area (which was only a couple of blocks away from our hotel). By the beach there was a little area of Kiosks that sold souvenirs such as silver jewelry, Moroccan tea glasses, etc. You do have to haggle with the vendors but it can be quite fun as long as you maintain a good sense of humour - my hubby really enjoyed that.

If you don't like bargaining - there was a place to shop with set prices nearer to the main street.

There were some nice little restaurants overlooking the beach area - and by the way - Moroccan food is excellent! Try the chicken tagine (a kind of stew) with lemon and olives! Just don't eat salads or fresh fruit that is not cooked!

You can definitely have a nice day by the beach - we did!

I believe there was also a market area there which we did not visit as we went to the markets in both Taroudant and Marrakesh. Hope this helps!

....... We used it as a base to tour other places ( Taroudant, Marrekesh, Canaries) How long are you in port?

If I remember correctly you will probably have to get a cab from the port to the beach area (which was only a couple of blocks away from our hotel). By the beach there was a little area of Kiosks that sold souvenirs such as silver jewelry, Moroccan tea glasses, etc. You do have to haggle with the vendors but it can be quite fun as long as you maintain a good sense of humour - my hubby really enjoyed that.

If you don't like bargaining - there was a place to shop with set prices nearer to the main street.

There were some nice little restaurants overlooking the beach area - and by the way - Moroccan food is excellent! Try the chicken tagine (a kind of stew) with lemon and olives! Just don't eat salads or fresh fruit that is not cooked!

You can definitely have a nice day by the beach - we did.....

Thanks for all the info, Zutalors (like the name) I dont mind haggling over prices and I usually like to try the local food so I'll probably take your advice.

I found some good video online, of the Agadir area, which is quite helpful, though the beach looks very quiet.

Archived