Oh, my gosh! Post cruise on Maupiti!

mountainhouse

Oh my gosh! Maupiti! Where to start?

Just got back from TP yesterday, after staying post cruise in Maupiti. Definitely the highlight of the trip. WONDERFUL! Maupiti is one of the smaller Society Islands. To be honest, we’re just starting our world travels, and we were a bit unsure about going to Maupiti. We were really encouraged when the FP Customs official got excited about us going! Also, Michael Poole seemed surprised we were going, and commented that it was a wonderful place.

Maupiti is about 30 miles West of Bora Bora, and has about 800 people. You can get there via the Maupiti Express boat or by air. With Air Tahiti, we paid a bit over $300 per person. The island is similar in structure to Bora Bora, though smaller and with, I think, a prettier lagoon. The road around the island is a 6 mile bike ride (XPF 1000 for the day). It seems to be a bit off the American tourist map, so pack the French-English dictionary. Since we vacation, in part, to understand other cultures, we viewed this as a plus. There are plenty of pensions to stay at, but no hotels or resorts.

We stayed at Kuriri village (http://www.maupiti-kuriri.com/default_en.htm ) on Motu Tiapa’a, which was great! Camille and Anne-Marie were our wonderful, incredibly gracious hosts. They sailed around the world together, before buying this pension, and have amazing stories to tell. Food and accommodations were excellent. Fresh (caught same day) yellowtail tuna was usually on the table. Hmmmm! Kuriri charges XPF 3000 per person to take you snorkeling to a beautiful coral garden (though there is very nice snorkeling right off the Motu at Kuriri). What a wonderful trip that was! While I was snorkeling, Robinson, who “drove” me out, got some fresh coconut. I had coconut meat, and a full coconut of “milk” as a snack when I got out. :) We also attended church on the island. Wow, you’ve not lived until you’ve heard the Mamas sing! A must do! I could go on, but let me just add 3 words: beautiful uncrowded beaches. :)

Maupiti’s not the best place if you’re in a hurry. But, if you want to really relax, understand French Polynesia better and see some of the best scenery in the Society Islands, this is the place!

maupiti.jpg.896c637bf1e39d1af90be96fea54642a.jpg

Archived