Is it worth Buying Snorkel Equiptment???

anytimeuwnt

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a professional set of snorkeling equiptment. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I really like to snorkel and plan on going to alot of tropical locations in my life. Because I don't know where rental equipment has been, and I don't want to pay to rent someone else's stuff I thought it might be a good idea.

Just wanted to hear from all of you if this is something that is worth the money. I define a good set as a snorkel & a mask that will have a lifetime warranty. So far, I have found a very good set that would cost me about $120.

In Short my questions are:

Any opinions on if it is worth the price?

Do you have any good places to buy this stuff?

Mask / Snorkel / or both??

Thank you in advance for all of your help!!!!! ;)

You need to try a mask on before buying. Different models have different fit and it has to fit correctly to minimize/eliminate leaking. Also, there are significant differences in mask styles; clear vs. opaque frames, side windows, purge vs. non-purge, etc.

Go to a local dive shop (if you haven't already) to try on models for fit and that you'll be most comfortable with, and then buy from them. (You could get things a little cheaper on-line, but you're paying for their help and expertise as well.)

Last question - do you require corrective lenses? You can also get masks with pop-out lenses that can switch eyeglass Rx over time if need be. My eyes are terrible and I wouldn't dive without Rx lenses in my mask.

You can find decent snorkel gear in the spring/summer at Costco or Sam's Club. Sometimes they even come with fins. It's not professional level, but not cheap stuff either. It's my personal view that professional is not necessary if you only snorkel on vacations. It's good to have your own gear, but not necessary to go overboard.

Happy Sailing!

I definately agree with the above. First of all it pays to go to a dive shop and get fitted for a mask that is right for you. Secondly, if you wear corrective lenses then it is worth the cost to get corrective lenses in your mask. It makes a world of difference. We got our own mask with corrections before our Tahiti cruise last January and what a difference it made. We have our own fins also but won't bother to take them UNLESS they aren't provided, as was the case on most of the snorkeling excursions we did in Tahiti.

As mentioned above, there are two types: one with the correction "built-in" and the other type is one mentioned above that you can put in place and can be changed if your correction changes. We got the type with the correction in the lens as neither of us have had much changes in our corrections over the last few years.

Bottom line - you won't regret purchasing your own equipment!

We bought our own equipment last year for our western caribbean cruise, and it was the best thing we've done. :p

After seeing how the rentals are cleaned (just dipped in a bucket of dirty water), I am so glad we bought our own equipment. Although we only snorkel once a year when we go on trips, it is always good to have.

We bought the snorkel mask with the snorkel at costco, they are made by bodyglove, it only cost $50 CDN. :D

Hope this helps.

fina

I was wondering the same thing and found some great deals on E-Bay. I bought 2 sets yesterday for 1/2 of the price a local dive shop was selling them for. I haven't received them yet so cannot comment on that but the seller seemed very repuable.

I didnt bother with fins - too much to bring with. A pair of watershoes will do in a pinch and the excursions will have fins to use.

good luck

andrew

It is definately a good idea to have your own gear. Sometimes you may go on an excursion that you would think had the gear and they don't and your out of luck. Or the gear is really crappy. When we went to the Baths(princess) they had quite a few people- probably 30-40 for the morning. Only two of us couples had gear. Everyone else had to wait an hour or so until a beach shack opened to rent gear. Everyone thought it had been included. At least we had the water all to ourselves for quite a while.

Last year around this time,Gart Bros(if you have one around there) had a sale on U.S. divers full foot fins and masks and snorkels along with some shortie wet suits. Might check big sporting goods stores for end of season sales, but some dive stores also have good deals. Here in Grand Junction "Adventure Sports" 1-800-775-2441 or 970-245-2441 will almost always match any mailorder :) prices you can get. They are a locally owned shop, but have a great selection. Ask for Stephen(owner) or Luis and tell them Donna referred you. (I don't get anything from this)

Having your own snorkel equipment is a great advantage - besides the sanitation issues you don't have to worry about the rental compnay having fins to fit your foot size, and you buy a mask that fits your face perfectly, instead of hoping the one you rent doesn't leak. The only downside is the extra space the equipment takes in your luggage.

Definately buying your own is a plus. Dive shops are the best way, but sometimes expensive. It's imperative that the mask fits right. I buy all my gear from the net at diversdirect.com

Very good prices, all great equipment. The mask is the most important. Get good silicone rubber. You can get low priced sets there that are really nice. (and cheaper than $120) I SCUBA dive, so I bought really nice stuff for myself, and for the wife and kids I bought sets. They really love them.

The first mask I bought for myself didn't fit quite right. I sent it back and tried another. It fit perfectly. Make sure you try it out before you settle for one mask in particular. Fit is everything!

Enjoy!

Buy it.

Most rental stuff, while pretty good quality, is getting a little tired. Nothing more frustrating than having to surface every 2-3 minutes cause the mask is leaking like a sieve. Not to mention the 'sterilization' process. (dip, shake, done)

We're taking our own gear this trip, masks and snorkels anyway, fins they'll have and I can always do without in a pinch.

9 more sleeps

we got ours at costco around april. besides cruising we also go to hawaii once a year. altho sometimes i don't want to pack the fins, i love having my own reliable snorkel and a mask that fits. I am now looking into a snorkel vest. you get more use out of your own stuff than you think even if we just do a beach day at a port, you can sometimes snorkel off shore.

I don't regret buying my own equipment, including fins, and paying a little extra for the experience provided by a very nice fellow in a dive shop. I had to try on several masks before finding one that fit properly. I definitely noticed the difference the first time I tried out my new gear. I stay in the water much longer, enjoy myself more, and see a lot more than I did using rental equipment.

"Consensus"??? On these boards???? :D

Fins take up a lot of space and they can be heavy, so you make the call. Personally I don't schlep them along on a cruise whether snorkling or diving, not worth the effort and I'm an easy-to-fit size 10.

After renting some gear once, we decided to buy our own mask, snorkel & fins to use on cruise vacations. We went good quality so they would last. We never expected 2 years later to take up diving - but we did - and all our gear was good enough, so we didn't have to upgrade. Now we try and dive on all our cruise vacations ..... it's even more addicting then snorkeling!

I have had my own gear (in various combinations) for my whole life...my father was a snorkeler starting in 1950 and started us as soon as we could walk. I always take my mask, snorkel and fins on any cruise where we will be in tropical waters. I would not go without my fins. They save enormous energy when swimming, are critical if you are swimming where there is a lot of current, and let you cover much more "ground". While bulky, it is easy to take less clothing to tropical cruises, and I just put my kit in last on top of the clothing, then keep under the bed while we are on the ship. I would definitely second going to a professional dive shop to learn about options and get advice about fit before purchasing, regardless of where you purchase.

I am a diver since 1990. I still use the mask bought from when I learned to suba dive. My face is of a small one, it was difficult to find a mask that fit well. Eventually I found Mares (spelling ?) made in Italy, that fits perfectly. US Divers and others are just way too big for my face.

I would think going to a local dive shop to try out the masks is the most logical approach to find a good fit. It is imperative your mask fit well, therefore, I feel a local dive shop is a better choice for those who have never buy a mask before. The staff at the dive shop will explain to you how to make sure it is a good fit. If it is a good fit, your mask should stay on without being strapped on your head, even when you are facing downward.

I have a dilemna of bringing my fins - they are so bulky and heavy, especially they are the half-foot fin that require booties. In recent years I forego bringing fins and just rent fins with the operator.

I have my own gear and I mean everything! And I take it all with me, wet suit included. I spent good money on it and got the gear at my local dive shop who traded things out until we found the perfect fit for each piece. Remember, you get what you pay for. I also have the underwater housing for my digital camera in place of disposables. Much better quality photos. www.leisurepro.com has a great selection as well. The best advice I can give you is 2 words: dry snorkel!!!!!

Whatever you get, have fun and be safe!

Like Snorkelcat said, Dry Snorkel.

Should you buy your own gear? Answer this question, do you share your tooth brush? If that question makes you say ick, then you should buy your own snorkel. As for the mask, nothing will ruin your underwater experience faster than a mask that doesn't fit well and therefore leaks. The ONLY way to be sure a mask fits well is to try it on when you have the snorkel in your mouth since the shape of your face can change when you have a snorkel or scuba regulator in your mouth.

my vote is for buying your own.

Archived