I Love Sushi

I Just Had To Ask If They Serve Sushi On Any Of The Boats???

Some of the ships have real honest to goodness sushi. Others have sort-of sushi. The sushi they offer on Brilliance is not real sushi but a close approximation of a kind. They also have wasabi (horseradish) and gari (pickled ginger), so it's not bad. DH, who is Japanese, simply said fake sushi is better than no sushi at all.:D

Fran

Mariner has sushi in the windjammer for dinner. Mind you, it's not great sushi (if you are a sushi-lover), but its passable. My daughter is a sushi-fiend and they only serve it till 9:00PM (approx), so one night, we had dinner in the dining room, went up to the wj after dinner, grabbed some sushi & took it to our cabin. I put it in a tupperware container, stuck it in the fridge, went to the show & had the sushi for a snack after the show.

I was on the Explorer in April and they had "sorta sushi" (love that phrase...lol) on the buffet a few times during dinner and during the "gala buffet" (not sure this is what it is called on RCCL).

I love sashimi sushi and for me the sorta sushi didn't cut it...but I also love miso soup which they had daily on the breakfast buffet of all places which I had every morning. Although it was more broth than miso it was still pretty good.:)

Jodie

If you love sushi, as I do, you will HATE the sushi on the ship. Even Monarch, which has an actual Japanese restaurant, was horrible. Really, stay away from it. I go out for sushi at least once a week, and I couldn't even gag down the sushi on the ships.

Actually, I have had better grocery store sushi than served on the Voyager-class ships. There is no sushi with raw fish. If you like sushi, you will be very disappointed. The hijiki is pretty good though, as is the miso soup for breakfast.

Actually, I have had better grocery store sushi than served on the Voyager-class ships. There is no sushi with raw fish. If you like sushi, you will be very disappointed. The hijiki is pretty good though, as is the miso soup for breakfast.

No raw fish... it's like calling a hamburger a hamburger even if there's no ......

(wait for it)

Burger!!!!!

I agree, sushi without raw fish is "sushi-like" much like ... like.... a Caribbean cruise with no ports of call, more of a splash than a visit :eek:

Most sushi that people eat like California rolls or BC rolls are what is called Maki. This meat is not raw. Stuff like sashimi, slab of salmon on a pad of rice is raw.

I went to school in L.A.... what's gone wrong!!! :eek:

Come to Montreal.... if it's a Sushi restaurant, better like raw fish :D

Jewel had faux sushi last week (earlier this week) in the Windjammer. It was all rolls of one kind or another. Tasty enough but not satisfying.

The Jade Sushi restaurant on Monarch (where you have to pay for sushi) is wildly inconsistent. Sometimes it's actually pretty good. One time it was so bad that I really thought the rice had fermented and spoiled.

Sushi chefs are masters of a culinary art, training is very long and intense,so they command very high wages, knives for instance are made with the same methods used in making samuri swords and are very costly, the freshness and quality of ingredients is paramount to the art, it is not only about raw fish, Kobi beef is a good example of the care taken in achieving quality, so it is a very costly product, the only times I have eaten sushi on the move is on Japanese airlines, the rest is not sushi, regards

the miso soup is pretty good- we have that every morning-

the sort of sushi is good enough if you have to have that sushi fix- if you don't have to have it..............wait til you get off the ship as it will be better there- much better....

I agree, sushi without raw fish is "sushi-like" much like ... like.... a Caribbean cruise with no ports of call, more of a splash than a visit :eek:

Lesson from an expert sushi-maker: :D:D (My MIL taught me.)

"Sushi" is any dish made with sushi-meshi (rice coated with a vinegar-sugar mixture). 'Nigiri' generally has raw fish, although it also has egg, and sometimes other things. So - it doesn't need raw fish to make it sushi.

You can also have 'maki-zushi' (rolled, with no fish), 'inari' (stuffed tofu pockets - no fish), 'gomoku' (hashed) - sometimes has fish sometimes not. Mine has dried flaked fish sprinkled on top, with beni-shoga (pickled salted ginger).

Someone mentioned hijiki - I did not see any of that on Brilliance .....hmmmm. Have to look again on the next cruise. Loooooooovvvve hijiki.

Fran in Toronto

Lesson from an expert sushi-maker: :D:D (My MIL taught me.)

"Sushi" is any dish made with sushi-meshi (rice coated with a vinegar-sugar mixture). 'Nigiri' generally has raw fish, although it also has egg, and sometimes other things. So - it doesn't need raw fish to make it sushi.

You can also have 'maki-zushi' (rolled, with no fish), 'inari' (stuffed tofu pockets - no fish), 'gomoku' (hashed) - sometimes has fish sometimes not. Mine has dried flaked fish sprinkled on top, with beni-shoga (pickled salted ginger).

Someone mentioned hijiki - I did not see any of that on Brilliance .....hmmmm. Have to look again on the next cruise. Loooooooovvvve hijiki.

Fran in Toronto

And a BBQ is a cooking instrument, so beans on the BBQ is still a BBQ.... :rolleyes: NOT!

Rum flavouring is not rum, veggie burgers are not steak, and thank god Montreal is not Toronto :D

Sorry guys - I have had sushi in both Toronto and Montreal and they both sucked (sorry Fran). If you want REAL sushi, you have to come to Vancouver. Of course, everything is better on the West Coast.

Sorry, can't afford to pay twice the price for everything on the left coast...., and where did you get bad sushi in Montreal from? Loblaws? :D

And a BBQ is a cooking instrument, so beans on the BBQ is still a BBQ.... :rolleyes: NOT!

Rum flavouring is not rum, veggie burgers are not steak, and thank god Montreal is not Toronto :D

That's apples and oranges, or as we say in Japanese, 'chigaimasu'.....sushi is any dish made with sushi rice. ...and my MIL who taught me to make sushi lives in Tokyo and was born in Akita. Believe me, I make real sushi....DH isn't Canadian either, we just happen to live in Toronto.:D:D Next time you come to TO let me know, I'll make sushi for you....of every variety.

Fran in Toronto

Could someone please clue me in on why the sushi served is only "sushi like"?

They use only plain cooked rice, most of the time. (Someone further back mentioned the rice tasted like it had fermented. Probably she got real sushi rice, with the vinegar on it....) They put smoked salmon, or cream cheese, with nori. Not quite the same....

Fran in Toronto

Archived