Verrazano narrows bridge and 2 Queens

jgsmuzzy

Evening,

We will be sailing with QE2 twice in the nearish future. In January and next October.

My question is this: Can QM2 and QE2 go under the bridge abreast of each other?

Thanks in advance

J

(sensible thread, Moi? Well, it had to happen sometime...)

If they can they might do it on the last ever crossing, that would be great not to mention a fantastic photo!

But on the various tandem crossings just how close do they actually sail? any photos iv seen they look to be quite far appart? but then again how close is close?

cheers

Myles

We sailed around in tandem on the Christmas cruise a few years ago. We were much farther apart than the river could accommodate. I suspect there are Coast Guard rules about how close together ships may be in the channel, just as the FAA has rules that prohibit the waiting plane from rolling onto the runway until the plane ahead has cleared the ground.

Evening,

We will be sailing with QE2 twice in the nearish future. In January and next October.

Thanks in advance

J

(sensible thread, Moi? Well, it had to happen sometime...)

yes they will both fit under the bridge at one time if the QM2 is in the center of the bridge..however saftey regs would forbid this from happening

I vaguely have a junior high school recollection of some principle in physics that states that if two ships were travelling parallel to each other and were too close, that this "law of physics" would cause the ships to be "sucked" into side swiping eachother. The name "Bernoulli" rings a bell but, well, I didn't pay too much attention to anything in junior high school!!

I vaguely have a junior high school recollection of some principle in physics that states that if two ships were travelling parallel to each other and were too close, that this "law of physics" would cause the ships to be "sucked" into side swiping eachother. The name "Bernoulli" rings a bell but, well, I didn't pay too much attention to anything in junior high school!!

That makes sense. Bernoulli's principle has to do with the behavior of fluids (water or air) in relation to speed and pressure. If you make a fluid flow faster (over the top side of a wing with a larger arc or over a sail which is billowed out) the fluid going faster creates a change in pressure (kinda like a vacuum)- since nature abhors a vacuum, it sucks the fluid-in this case water, in the case of an airplane or sailboat, air, faster to meet up with the particles it left on the other side. Likewise a change in pressure affects the speed of the fluid (Like squeezing a hose) So it makes sense that the two side by side would create a mini vacuum of water rushing between them which would create an "attraction" between the two that might suck them together. (I think this also relates to the sling-shot effect in NASCAR called "drafting" You create a sort-of suction by being right up on the bumper of the guy in from of you. When you break that vacuum by moving slightly to one side, it tends to slingshot you forward)

I guess this means the answer is a big N-O !

Karie,

who should probably stick to her day job instead of teaching physics!

Archived