Just back from the Dawn...7/21/07

:eek: Here is a little bit from each day, not much just some observations..

Embarkation: Computers were VERY slow but we were on vacation so we didn't mind much.

Reservations could be made in Salsa for all specialty restaurants for that night and the following night from 12-430. We booked Salsa that night. Despite rave reviews I have read, we thought it was good but not so fantastic. We ate at Venetian for lunch which was nice. Cagney's was excellent. The crab cakes were great. Definitely worth the charge. Bamboo was good but not sure it was worth the charge. We didn't have any bad food but we also avoided the buffets most times as well.

Matt Baker Wiki Wiki Wah! He was GREAT! I wish all cruises had him on it. It was our best cruise and probably because of him.

Entertainment: Romano Frediani is a must see!! Bollywood was alright, not great. Gleason magic was good as well as Second City although they both had the same shows they had last year. Thought maybe Second City could have thought up some new skits. The Newlywed not so newlywed game was great! Matt again was funny. The last night Matt and Romano did some more of their antics and boy was it great!

Pool: By some surprise we were able to get chairs without having to throw someone's towel overboard.

Nassau: We went to Cable Beach and paid at the Crystal Palace which I guess used to be the Wyndham. It was $15 per person and you could use their pools and beach front. It was a cloudy day but worth the money. Cab fare was about $5 a piece each way.

GSC: BEAUTIFUL! We went snorkeling and saw a Barracuda! :eek: That made my boyfriend swim back fast. One of the tenders broke so we had to wait a while in the hot sun! Not so fun. NCL capatalized on people's thirst and sold their Evian which I thought was a little tacky since it wasn't our fault we had to wait 30 minutes.

Bermuda: We went to Horseshoe Bay by bus and my god it was great! We took the #7 bus and it drops you right in front it is $4 each way. People complained about how long bus took but hey, there are cabs, go take them if you want to whine about waiting.

Some observances:

People wore ANYTHING in the dining rooms. I must say anything goes, shorts, jeans, holey t-shirts. I didn't care what others did but I just noticed.

I recommend HIGHLY you bring the new spray on sunscreens because I got SO burnt from GSC that putting on the lotion sunscreen in Bermuda was beyond painful.

Aqua is not the place to go if you want some quiet. For some reason, maybe because it is so small, it was incredibly loud.

The Cappacino (sp?) in the Java Cafe was good according to my bf who had like 5 a day and they were only $2, quite reasonable.

Overall, we had a FANTASTIC time. Rooms were clean, food was excellent. Staff mostly friendly, although you could tell some were a ltitle aggitated but I don't blame them the way some people treated them!

Glad to hear all was well on your trip!

A question:

Is there a self-serve laundry on the ship?

Would love to see the Dailies.

Thanks,

Jackie

Actually, several decks have washing machines and dryers. The machines are free, but the packages of detergent were $1.00 each (IIRC).

Glad to hear all was well on your trip!

A question:

Is there a self-serve laundry on the ship?

Would love to see the Dailies.

Thanks,

Jackie

the dawn has four free self service laundries....just have to pay for detergent or bring a small bottle with you...(must be checked on planes)... they are 5, 9,10 and 11. The front desk has a map where they are....easy to use once you figure them out. unless you have been through the mud use the light wash cycle...

but hey you are on vacation no need to know where they are. I like rinsing out my bathing suit in them.

PS Cappuccino is free with dinner in the dining rooms....

Glad to hear you had a good cruise! We were on the 7/14 and other than the engine problems, we had a really good time. I agree with you about Salsa and pool chairs, we had the same experience. People wore 'anything goes' on our trip, too. I thought it was because NCL was afraid to enforce the rules because of our engine problem, but it looks like that wasn't the case. We also did Horseshoe Bay. How were the rip currrents when you were there? There were some serious waves on our trip, which was surprising. On our last trip there, it was as calm as GSC. We did the taxis when we were there, but it was the four of us and was only $22.00 each way. We also stopped along the way to and from to take pictures, so I didn't think it was too bad. DH and DS also did the Segway tour while we were at the Dockyards. I also witnessed passengers treating waitstaff like crap, but we had a great experience with everyone. Getting home was so depressing, I just unpacked today.

Thanks for the reviews on the Dawn. Trying to convince me DH to take the Dawn from Miami in Dec. I like the Itinerary in the Caribbean.

Sorry to hear that the dress code is so relaxed in the dinningrooms. What is next swimwear!!

Glad to hear you had a good cruise! We were on the 7/14 and other than the engine problems, we had a really good time. I agree with you about Salsa and pool chairs, we had the same experience. People wore 'anything goes' on our trip, too. I thought it was because NCL was afraid to enforce the rules because of our engine problem, but it looks like that wasn't the case. We also did Horseshoe Bay. How were the rip currrents when you were there? There were some serious waves on our trip, which was surprising. On our last trip there, it was as calm as GSC. We did the taxis when we were there, but it was the four of us and was only $22.00 each way. We also stopped along the way to and from to take pictures, so I didn't think it was too bad. DH and DS also did the Segway tour while we were at the Dockyards. I also witnessed passengers treating waitstaff like crap, but we had a great experience with everyone. Getting home was so depressing, I just unpacked today.

The waves were crazy when we were there. A little of an undertow too. We are sad about not being on vacation but are already thinking of going back again!

CruiseNurse.......

Just a few questions please.....

1. What time do you suggest arriving at the pier for embarkation.

2. Did you arrive on time in Nassau.

3. Did you have any trouble making reservations for the specialty restaurants.

Glad you had a great time!

Thanks!

CruiseNurse.......

Just a few questions please.....

1. What time do you suggest arriving at the pier for embarkation.

2. Did you arrive on time in Nassau.

3. Did you have any trouble making reservations for the specialty restaurants.

Glad you had a great time!

Thanks!

We also just got off the Dawn today. We are first time cruisers and we had a blast!

Answers...

1. We got there around noon and were able to get right on. Traffic can get a little harry around the terminal but we stayed localy and got in, dropped off people and luggage and parked in short order.

2. We arrived everywhere on time. No problems with the diesels.

3. No problems as long as you make them ahead of time. We were a little slow on getting our group (of 26) together on locations and times but we all did eat together 3 times. If you wait too long, they fill up quickly.

We are also thinking about the Dawn for Jan. but not sure about having to make reservations. Do you do each day the day before or the day of? Do you have to have reservations for Aqua, Impressions or Venetian? Glad you had a great cruise, but sorry to hear of rudeness to the staff.

We are also thinking about the Dawn for Jan. but not sure about having to make reservations. Do you do each day the day before or the day of? Do you have to have reservations for Aqua, Impressions or Venetian? Glad you had a great cruise, but sorry to hear of rudeness to the staff.

For the main dining rooms no reservations are required. We never had a wait at all either. If you want to eat at specialty restauratns you have to make reservations one day in advance.

We were a party of 24 on the same cruise and had a ball. This was my 4th time on the Dawn and have to say the best. The service was great and the menus have been revamped. Had never eaten in La Trattoria; was pleasantly surprised by the menu and service at Impressions. Cagneys, as always, was the best. Arrived on time at all the ports and had amazing weather. Didn't make all the shows (enjoying dinner too much), however, from what I hear they were good. Have to keep track of your towels now, like the other cruise lines; annoying. All in all, had a wonderful time, yet we are seasoned cruisers and don't let the small stuff annoy us. It's all in your attitude!

.......the Freestyle Dailies CruiseNurseBabe!

Looks like we have a fun filled week ahead!

Just exactly what does Romano Frediani's do? Juggling, comedy, musical, magic? Sounds like a lot of people liked it, but I haven't heard much about just what talent he displays.... :confused: .......

Here is what I got from the Dailies.....

Martini Club every day at 5:00pm

Kareoke for adults every night at 11:00pm

Most shows at 7:30 and 9:30 each night

KEWEL!!!!

Rusty

We leave August 11th. A few questions

1) we have approx 20 people going. Can we make reservations in the "no extra charge" dinning rooms so we can sit together?

2) $22 cab ride to Horseshoe bay? I heard others say almost $50. Is that per person? We have 4...will they fit into their cabs?

3) any suggestions for the Bahamas? Excursions? I'm thinking of either the "seashorse sail and snorkel" or Pearl Island Treasure Hunt" Or maybe just going to a beach close to the pier.

Thanks

Mike

We leave August 11th. A few questions

1) we have approx 20 people going. Can we make reservations in the "no extra charge" dinning rooms so we can sit together?

2) $22 cab ride to Horseshoe bay? I heard others say almost $50. Is that per person? We have 4...will they fit into their cabs?

3) any suggestions for the Bahamas? Excursions? I'm thinking of either the "seashorse sail and snorkel" or Pearl Island Treasure Hunt" Or maybe just going to a beach close to the pier.

Thanks

Mike

1) If you have a large party they will let make reservations at the no charge dining rooms. I think they will let you do it for the entire week.

2) Take the #7 bus it leaves every 15 minutes and is $8 round trip. The cab I heard costs close to $100 so I am not sure where the $22 came from, maybe the split with a few people but last year we paid about $80 both ways so I don't know where that cheap price came from.

3) I suggest you go to the Wyndham Hotel/Crystal Palace and you pay $15 for an all day pass with use of their pool and beach front. But, if you have not been to the Atlantis go there at night and you can get into their aquarium for free, I think it is after 6pm. It is the best aquarium in the world but you have to pay during the day. For excursion I would do snorkeling at GSC because you have the gear all day and can go out on your own.

Archived