A few Questions about the Noordam

tapdancemom

My sister and I along with other family and friends are sailing on the Noordam on Aug. 26th. I had a few questions for those of you who've cruised on her before.

We were wondering if there was a tour of the kitchen on this cruise, thought maybe there would be on a day we were at sea.

I've only had a massage on the Century and they spent so much time talking up their products that I thought I'd never have one on a cruise ship again or at least tell them up front I wasn't into buying any of the products they were selling. Anyone out there experienced massages on this line and were they worth the money?

Is there a passenger talent show?

On RCCL they have an adult scavenger hunt (you didn't leave the lounge) called The Quest that was a lot of fun, anything like that on the Noordam.

How about pinnocle games or bridge?

We can't wait for this cruise, excited to be cruising again :)

On HAL they always have a galley tour. Also, on many cruises there have been tours behind stage in the theater where you get to see the many costumes and get to ask the dancers/singers questions.

There is usually bridge everyday on board.

The last few cruises we were on they had scavenger hunts and asked for the craziest items (false teeth, bras {the women had to take them off right there in the room}, mens slacks, etc.).

HAL has a superstar competition (like American Idol) where you sing to karaoke. It goes on a few days and usually ends the last night of the cruise.

You will have a fantastic time on HAL. We love this cruiseline and especially love the msNOORDAM!!!!!

I've only had a massage on the Century and they spent so much time talking up their products that I thought I'd never have one on a cruise ship again or at least tell them up front I wasn't into buying any of the products they were selling. Anyone out there experienced massages on this line and were they worth the money?

Steiner runs the spas on most all cruiselines nowadays (including HAL and X) but I've had fairly good experiences in the spas on HAL recently - the spa staff have not been as pushy in sales as they have in the past.

Of course, the spa staff vary from ship to ship, so your mileage may vary...

Don't forget the crew talent show! I thoroughly enjoyed it because it was so bizarre. Some crew members sang religious songs, some thought they were cowboys. But it seemed to be a big event to them and they were very enthusiastic. The theater was standing room only.

we also did the cooking with chef jon...I think it was about 29.00 they offer 2 classes it was fun and the food he did was pretty good. you got a apron and 6 free issues for wine and food..and the recipes..There is always something going on. we could not find the time to do all we wanted to.:eek:

I went to the spa last November and had a hot stone massage. It was great. However when it was over, they presented me with a list of what I should buy. I have been on a dozen cruises and found the sales presentation to be about the same on the Noordam. However another member of our group went to get the same massage and she was never asked if she wanted to buy any products. I guess it is the person who does the treatment determines how much in sales they want.

Hot stone massage was definitely woth the cost

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

We just booked for next year and are very excited about sailing on the Noordam. It will be our,DW and me, fourth cruise. First on HAL. DW wants to know how many formal nights on an 11 day cruise? Also how dressy do the ladies get? If we chose the anytime dining should we make reservations or is the wait very long? I'm sure I'll have more questions later so thanks in advance.

Dennis

Hi All,

We just booked for next year and are very excited about sailing on the Noordam. It will be our,DW and me, fourth cruise. First on HAL. DW wants to know how many formal nights on an 11 day cruise? Also how dressy do the ladies get? If we chose the anytime dining should we make reservations or is the wait very long? I'm sure I'll have more questions later so thanks in advance.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

When are you sailing? I am on 1/5/08. There are 3 formal nights. It is suggested women wear cocktail dress or gowns. You should see if there is a roll call for your trip.

Hope this helps,

Laura

Hi All,

Dennis

As of last year, there were 3 formal nights on Noordam's 11 day sails. Most ladies wear a cocktail style dress or black pants or long skirt and a sparkly top. Men can wear a jacket and tie, suit or tux.

The "As You Wish" dining concept began only this past May on the Noordam. During our sail, we just showed up when we felt like it and were seated immediately. We never saw a line or a beeper. Of course, things might be different on your cruise, every most passengers get a bee in their bonnet and show up for dinner at the same time. It's unlikely but certainly possible.

When we took a tour of the kitchen on one of the ships, it wasn't posted in the day's activities, but we requested it and were taken. It really is fascinating to see how they prepare food for so many people. Very efficient!:cool:

Archived