Best Month for cruising northern Europe

I have noticed on the board that most of the people have posted going to the Baltics in June. Is this because of the white nights or is it a better month because of weather. We have reserved a cruise for July 16, 2008 because I though it might be calmer weather, and seas. Any opinions on this. Thank you Donna

There is no best month per se. Of course you have the most daylight around June, 21st and the white nights can be an interesting experience. (Yet, how much time do you spent outside in the evening with dinner and other activities going on?)

On the other hand temperatures are probably higher in July and August (without guarantee of course).

Every time between May and September should be mild and calm.

There is no best month per se. Of course you have the most daylight around June, 21st and the white nights can be an interesting experience. (Yet, how much time do you spent outside in the evening with dinner and other activities going on?)

On the other hand temperatures are probably higher in July and August (without guarantee of course).

Every time between May and September should be mild and calm.

We considered long and hard when to go -- other Oceania cruisers opined that weather can be good and or bad no matter the month June, July or August. Yes it's a bit cooler in June, all the better for long all day tours in St. Petersburg -- we have heard of rough seas and rain in all the months and calm seas and nice weather in those very same months. Mother Nature is in charge. The reason we booked in early June is that we wanted to avoid the peak travel time for over booked air planes and the fact that we have been told that once school is out in Russia St. Petersburg get really crowed.

We considered long and hard when to go -- other Oceania cruisers opined that weather can be good and or bad no matter the month June, July or August. Yes it's a bit cooler in June, all the better for long all day tours in St. Petersburg -- we have heard of rough seas and rain in all the months and calm seas and nice weather in those very same months. Mother Nature is in charge. The reason we booked in early June is that we wanted to avoid the peak travel time for over booked air planes and the fact that we have been told that once school is out in Russia St. Petersburg get really crowed.

You bring up another good point to consider, school vacation in Russia. When is "school out" for Russia?

Thanks, Martha

we are on jewel o.s. next june 27th and we are begining to fear that we wont be able to use the ship's pools/will have to wear heavy outer coats..etc Any info on these issues would be welcomed.thanks..

It's difficult to predict when you'll get the best weather in the Baltics. I was on the Star Princess June 1 to June 11. The weather was fantastic, no rain and temperatures in the 70's and 80's. From reading these boards the cruise before and after wasn't quite as fortunate. Ken...

It is true; there is no ”best month” for a Baltic cruise. One year is never the same as another and nobody can say what next year is going to be like. Any time from middle of May until late September can be good or bad.

But if you want the white nights, that is end of May until middle of July. City sightseeing can be very tiring in hot weather and I understand there are places that have no air conditioning. If you would like to avoid hot weather it is wise not to come during July or August.

But otherwise you have to be prepared for everything from warm and sunny to cold, rainy and windy. Lat summer we had great weather, a lot of sunshine and sometimes rather hot. This summer has been something else. The best weather so far was in early June, after that it has been rather cold and frequent showers. I am speaking about Stockholm now. In some parts it has been even worse. England had very heavy rains causing severe flooding, as has southern Sweden. I think Oslo and Copenhagen may also have been affected.

Ddean52, I think the ships pools may be heated so that you can use them even if it is a bit chilly. And you will not need the heavy coat. But you will have to bring a warm sweater and a light jacket and be prepared to wear layers. A typical summer day in Stockholm can be a bit chilly in the morning, but the sun will soon make it nice and warm. If there are clouds coming up it may get a bit colder again. If it is as last summer you will be happy with shorts, a blouse or polo shirt, and sandals most of the days.

Breakiron, congrats on your timing! You came when the weather was at its best this year.

Thank you all for the information. I am thinking maybe we should have booked in June instead of July. I have put in a call to my TA but haven't heard back from yet. I notice on the boards that most all balconys have been booked for the three months, so we might need to stay where we are in July. Donna

We spent a week in Oslo in June. The temperature during the day peaked at about 70. In the sun it was hot as there is so little pollution. In the evening, in full sunlight, it turned chilly just before sunset, between 11pm and midnight.

The sea temp at 68 was chilly but a month or so later would rise to about 77-78.

If you look at Wunderground Weather you can get 10-day forecasts and also historic data for any day/week/month etc.

I have noticed on the board that most of the people have posted going to the Baltics in June. Is this because of the white nights or is it a better month because of weather. We have reserved a cruise for July 16, 2008 because I though it might be calmer weather, and seas. Any opinions on this. Thank you Donna

Donna,

Are you going on Celebrity's Century sailing out of Amsterdam on July 16, 2008? If so, I am on that cruise. Stop by the roll call, we have a few people on there already.

Hi Italia Bella. We are not on the Celebrity ship out of Amsterdam, we are on the Reggata Oceania out of Dover. We did look at the Century cruise, but my DH wants to go throught the Kiel Canal. We were on the Mellinium in May for a Med. cruise and really loved it. We were also on Oceania in 2006 and loved that. Donna

Archived