How would you feel about it...

kpatter

Just last week I was in the airport and had to get rid of my diet coke. I put it in a trash can with literally hundreds of almost full soda and water bottles. As soon as I got to the other side of the security checkpoint, I was able to buy another 20 oz diet coke for $2.75 :(

Now, I'm sure there's a homeland security reason behind this, but I'm equally sure that the airport vendors aren't unhappy with the ban on liquids, because they're making quite a bit more money because of this.

Same principal as Carnival, no?

Just last week I was in the airport and had to get rid of my diet coke. I put it in a trash can with literally hundreds of almost full soda and water bottles. As soon as I got to the other side of the security checkpoint, I was able to buy another 20 oz diet coke for $2.75 :(

Now, I'm sure there's a homeland security reason behind this, but I'm equally sure that the airport vendors aren't unhappy with the ban on liquids, because they're making quite a bit more money because of this.

Same principal as Carnival, no?

I don't see the 2 situations even remotely similar. Many people don't buy drinks at the airport... many don't take them to the airport either, so they aren't having to throw them away. Many wait until onboard to get water, or something to drink. And the ban has been in place long enough where people are much smarter these days when they head to the airport... TSA makes the rules, for safety reasons... on Carnival, they make the rules for revenue reasons... two completely different things.

I don't see the 2 situations even remotely similar. Many people don't buy drinks at the airport... many don't take them to the airport either, so they aren't having to throw them away. Many wait until onboard to get water, or something to drink. And the ban has been in place long enough where people are much smarter these days when they head to the airport... TSA makes the rules, for safety reasons... on Carnival, they make the rules for revenue reasons... two completely different things.
Exactly. If you are aware of the rules, you know what to expect and there is no need to waste any money on something you will have to toss out if you haven't finished it before you go through security. However, if I'm that thirsty, I'll buy it anyway once I'm on the other side.

You are allowed to bring a reasonable amount of Coke on Carnival, but even if you don't the prices aren't that bad on the ship. ;)

...if Carnival had a policy whereby you were prohibited to bring onboard:

toothpaste

sunscreen

coolers

disposable cameras

extension cords

bungee cords

Imodium-AD

Dramamine

or

mouthwash,

I think you forgot to mention Condoms, now where can we hide those :D

Fred

toothpaste

sunscreen

coolers

disposable cameras

extension cords

bungee cords

Imodium-AD

Dramamine

or

mouthwash,

but offered all of those items for sale, at ridiculous, major-league-ballpark

prices... would you be tempted to smuggle any of those items onboard?

Yes, absolutely ... necessity or not ... but I agree with op, the alcohol prices onboard are high, but not excessively high - comparable in fact to many bars.

I also live in the Orlando area.The drink prices on my last cruise were really not that much more expensive than the restaurants and theme parks I go to.My mindset is that if I can not afford the drink then I can not afford the cruise.

This reasoning drives me nuts. It's used for alcohol, excursions, supper clubs...anything that cost extra. It is very reasonable to see how someone can afford an inside cabin on a 4 night cruise for $300 a person. When you add up all the additional cost for extras they can be more than the cruise itself. So if someone saves up for a year top surprise their wife with a cruise I see no problem with them cutting as much cost as possible.

Extension cord - hairdryer, camera charger, curling iron, phone charger and any number of other things people like to plug in. The cabin only has one plug in - definitely not enough!

I agree. Include in there MP3 player, speakers for the MP3 player, camcorder charger.

To answer the op's question....YES!!!

This reasoning drives me nuts. It's used for alcohol, excursions, supper clubs...anything that cost extra. It is very reasonable to see how someone can afford an inside cabin on a 4 night cruise for $300 a person. When you add up all the additional cost for extras they can be more than the cruise itself. So if someone saves up for a year top surprise their wife with a cruise I see no problem with them cutting as much cost as possible.

You are right that kind of reasoning makes no sense whatsoever. Nothing wrong with cutting corners....

but where you are is NOT a tourist area. Here where I live, a mixed drink cost upwards of 6.00 per drink. a beer is about 4 per bottle. if they give you the bottle otherwise, it is 250 a 5 oz glass.

quote]

We ARE a tourist area, see that I'm from New Mexico. Santa Fe 30 min., Taos 1 hr., Albuquerque 10 min. etc...Our state depends heavily on tourists and we welcome them! Maybe so many cuz cheap booze - LOL!:)

Of course, alcohol is not a "necessity." However, many people smuggle it on board just as many would if such regulations of bringing those certain items on board were restrcited. So in jest, if they smuggle alcohol they'll smuggle tooth paste, bungee & extension cords, Imodium, etc., etc. too. And, personal hygiene is a necessity which probably why Carnival puts free razors, shampoo, body soap, hand lotion, Tylenol and a few other free-bees in your cabin bath room.

Just a little joke that missed its mark I guess! ;)

However I do hope that you'd consider toothpaste even more of a necessity after drinking all that smuggled alcohol! ;)

Haven't you ever taken a candy bar into the movie theater, taken the pen at the bank, they forgot to charge you for something at the grocery store, you were speeding and the cop let you go -it's the same thing -everyone's lookin to save a buck! Not at anyone's expense, just being enterprising!:rolleyes:

Haven't you ever taken a candy bar into the movie theater- No, but I typically don't need a candy bar at the movie theater :D Sitting on my bum for 2 hours is enough, I don't need to add chocolate into the equation! LOL!!!!

taken the pen at the bank- No, I have enough cheap pens :p I always beg them to take mine, but they won't!!

they forgot to charge you for something at the grocery store- now, this has happened to me a few times, but I have always caught it in time to make it right. I've never gotten home and realized I wasn't charged for something... now, I've made it home and realized they charged me for something they forgot to give me... grrr!!!

you were speeding and the cop let you go wait? This happens? I've been pulled over for speeding twice, and the turds never let me go!!! LOL!!! But I don't think that has anything to do with "saving a buck", the cop is either going to ticket you or let you go, ain't nothing you can do about it!! LOL! This was definitely the one that didn't fit in!!! :D

I do sensible things to save money... use less electricity, buy generic when I can, clip coupons, shop sales, drive an old paid for car, etc. I think everyone does things differently....

toothpaste

sunscreen

coolers

disposable cameras

extension cords

bungee cords

Imodium-AD

Dramamine

or

mouthwash,

but offered all of those items for sale, at ridiculous, major-league-ballpark

prices... would you be tempted to smuggle any of those items onboard?

Look if you're going to smuggle alcohol aboard like a thief in the nite because you're too cheap to pay on board prices...............Go ahead and do it without cluttering up the board with ridiculous posts to justify it. Its wrong, you know it. But many do it, so smuggle without silly posts.

Dan

[quote name='kpatter']I've read pricing comparisons here before, and I don't agree that Carnival's drink prices are at or cheaper than bars.
I wouldn't go to bars with those kind of high prices. In this part of America,
a bucket of beer at a nice bar is about $12 to 18, depending on the time and brand.
Mixed drinks / margaritas are certainly not anywhere near what Carnival's are priced at, unless you were to go to a hotel's bar, like a Hilton.[/quote]

So if a bucket of beer at a nice bar is $18, plus a tip I hope, it would be more than Carnivals.

[quote name='dan40']Look if you're going to smuggle alcohol aboard like a thief in the nite because you're too cheap to pay on board prices...............Go ahead and do it without cluttering up the board with ridiculous posts to justify it. Its wrong, you know it. But many do it, so smuggle without silly posts.

Dan[/quote]

That reminds me....note to self...purchase more Malibu rum for cruise in 12 days:D

[quote name='Kurbanfan']Good idea.........since we won't have a balcony to put it on this time:(
Damn Fantasy class ships:mad: :p :D[/quote]

Yep, we have a Cat 11 this time on The Sensation, not shaded. So we'll have to keep the cooler in the room.:cool:

[quote name='Caliber1']Yep, we have a Cat 11 this time on The Sensation, not shaded. So we'll have to keep the cooler in the room.:cool:[/quote]

Bragger:cool:

I can't justify the price of those.......they are smaller then a regular balcony on the other ships.........

[quote name='Kurbanfan']Bragger:cool:

I can't justify the price of those.......they are smaller then a regular balcony on the other ships.........[/quote]

Nope.

DW just has to have a balcony. I was gonna do a guaranty, but told her we might get an obstructed view, so she picked a cabin. Last 2 times we ended up in a Cat 12. Oh well. Can't take it with ya.

[quote name='Kurbanfan']That reminds me....note to self...purchase more Malibu rum for cruise in 12 days:D[/quote]

That's fine, your choice. The post really wasn't necessary, but neither is this one.:rolleyes:

Dan

[quote name='Wennfred']I think you forgot to mention Condoms, now where can we hide those :D

Fred[/quote]

Also forgotten........... Duct Tape!

[SIZE=1](thinking about it........put the condoms on the inside of the duct tape hole! hmmm, won't work for the flat duct tape. back to the drawing board.....)[/SIZE]

[quote name='dan40']That's fine, your choice. The post really wasn't necessary, but neither is this one.:rolleyes:

Dan[/quote]

Sure it was......if I would not have posted it......I would not have been reminded to check the ice chest for leaks:D

Again thanks Jess:)

Archived