Best shore excursion in Columbia-Cartagena

Best shore excursion in Columbia-Cartagena-anyone have suggestions? One below is what we're looking at. Is safety an issue there?

Thanks

Deluxe Cartagena & Fortress

spacer.gif

Explore the magnificent city of Cartagena in air conditioned transportation. Departing from the pier, you will be accompanied by your guide as you travel past the marvelous “Republican” architecture of the Manga residential area, where some mansions have been restored to their original splendor. Continue up the winding road to the Convento de la Popa, with a breathtaking view of the harbor and city. Here, you will visit the monastery with its ornate, 22 karat gold foil altar and a lovely, flower-filled courtyard. A half-hour stop will be made at the Fort of San Felipe de Barajas, a 17th-century construction which is the most important work of Spanish Military engineering in South America. Next, it’s on to Las Bovedas (The Dungeons) for about 20 minutes of handicraft shopping. Here, local artisans display their works of art and handicrafts for you. Pass through Simón Bolivar Square and the Inquisition Palace before continuing on to the Church of San Pedro Claver—the patron saint of slaves.

Continue to the modern residential area of Bocagrande, famous for its wide variety of shops. Here, you will find Colombia’s famous native gem, the emerald, along with handicrafts and leather goods at Pierino Gallo Shopping Mall. You will have approximately 45 minutes to shop before returning to the ship.

Hi,

When we were last in Cartagena with Celebrity, we did this excursion and enjoyed every moment of it!

But we especially enjoyed those portions within the old walled city. El Castillo de San Felipe is not to be missed. The pyramidal fortress is spectacular.

The time spent in the old city market area was fascinating and fun, poking into the shops recessed into the city wall.

The tour through the Basilica of San Pedro Claver was also enjoyable, and the nearby museum added good historical perspective.

The trip to the promontory on which the monastery is located was also very worthwhile, affording magnificent views out across the city. It gave great visual perspective as to where the port was in relation to the modern city sections and the historic quarter.

We thoroughly enjoyed Cartagena and are looking forward to returning, possibly aboard Millennium next year.

Have a marvelous cruise!

CM

We were there on a HAL cruise a couple of years ago. Did approximately the same tour...with the stop at the "mall" for leather and emeralds. It was extremely interesting. I understand that things have been cleaned up quite a bit in the last 2 years....I'm talking about the seedy side of Columbia. Don't know if I'd want to tour on my own, but with the group you'll be fine.

we did this tour it was nice and very interesting,one word of caution when they stop for a quick shopping stop and the tour guy says be back in 30 munutes,be back in 30 minutes we were a few minutes late and he left us,so angry,i had to chase the bus down,i did catch it,thank goodness would hate to be stranded in that part of the neighborhood.

Archived