North Atlantic Weather

travel-to-go

Oaky,

this is for those of you who like pictures of extreme weather. Those who are concerned about bad weather in the North Atlanticc, skip this thread. made the whole thing up~! <G>

Caption of this picture is

World War II North Atlantic convoy duty Merchant vessel as seen from U.S.S. GREER (DD-145) Coming of summer was no guarantee of smooth sailing.

Make sure you back up to see incredible shots of various hurricanes (some of which I lived through) and other extreme weather.

http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/htmls/wea00803.htm

Remember, these are EXTREMES over the last 100 years! Not likely to happen on YOUR particular cruise/crossing, and anyway, ships can get out of the way of predicted storms these days!

I don't mean to scare anyone. I hvae been on the ocean in a hurricane. We simply moved. Those on land (in the Delaware, Chesapeake, and Pomotoc areas) were not so lucky. The ship repositioned and we had a marvelous trip!

Karie,

who enjoyed these archives from the NOAA

• 2 weeks later...
Oaky,

this is for those of you who like pictures of extreme weather. Those who are concerned about bad weather in the North Atlanticc, skip this thread. made the whole thing up~! <G>

Make sure you back up to see incredible shots of various hurricanes (some of which I lived through) and other extreme weather.

Remember, these are EXTREMES over the last 100 years! Not likely to happen on YOUR particular cruise/crossing, and anyway, ships can get out of the way of predicted storms these days!

I don't mean to scare anyone. I hvae been on the ocean in a hurricane. We simply moved. Those on land (in the Delaware, Chesapeake, and Pomotoc areas) were not so lucky. The ship repositioned and we had a marvelous trip!

Karie,

Thank you for this. I was aboard QE2 in December of '04 when we had 12 meter waves. Wonderful time. It was a North Atlantic crossing as I had dreamed of it. I loved it.

Looks very much like the heavy seas we encountered 11-86, on the little Golden Odyssey (a 10,000 tonner), while trying to outrun the back end of a typhoon in the China Sea.

We had screws out of the water, inclinometer pegged, and green water over the bridge. Very rough indeed.

In those same waters (actually off Okinawa), Halsey's Fleet lost three destroyers (or DDEs) to capsizing, late in WW2.

We did hit some fairly heavy seas on the Golden Princess (113,000 tonner), 8-02, West of the Azores. We had bow slap spray raining down on our balcony on Caribe Deck (deck 10), and several windows along Prom Deck shattered while the ship was flexing and fighting for headway.

Travel can be an adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere in the forum of a good anti-seasick pill that can only be bought in the U.S, my girl friend is in the U.S right now but i can remember the name of the pill???? can any one help me?

thanks

I read somewhere in the forum of a good anti-seasick pill that can only be bought in the U.S, my girl friend is in the U.S right now but i can remember the name of the pill???? can any one help me?

thanks

This week's New York Times wrote about something tastier than a pill that you might try: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/health/21real.html?ref=science

thanks

Why isn't going for the patches. They are a lot more effective.

This week's New York Times wrote about something tastier than a pill that you might try: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/health/21real.html?ref=science

They (usually) serve crystallised ginger among the petits fours after dinner - I usually have a few pieces, not for mal de mer - but because I love it!

Peter

thanks

See my earlier post! The stuff you need is called Dramamine, or the own brand alternative. The actual drug is called Meclizine HCI, it is an antiemetic, whatever that means! They work a treat.

See my earlier post! The stuff you need is called Dramamine, or the own brand alternative. The actual drug is called Meclizine HCI, it is an antiemetic, whatever that means! They work a treat.

Emesis means throwing up.

Ever heard of an emesis pan in the hospital?

anon.

You can also buy ginger capsules in a natural foods store...very effective I"m told. And this product is supposed to be excellent...and very easy to use. Check it out here...http://www.boatshowproducts.com/MotionEaze.html?gclid=CPSLj6zGj44CFQMYFQod2hocDg

Bonine pills are also good and less drowsey than dramamine.

Othere "cures" I've heard about are Rose's Lime juice in a little water.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Othere "cures" I've heard about are Rose's Lime juice in a little water.

Rose's Lime Juice is also known to prevent/cure dysentery, cholera, maleria, and typhus. But only when diluted by ten parts gin, one part juice.

The theory being that you are seldom infected/affilcted while unconcious.

Oaky,

Karie,

wow! that will make your grand salon sway, won't it?

Rose's Lime Juice is also known to prevent/cure dysentery, cholera, maleria, and typhus. But only when diluted by ten parts gin, one part juice.

The theory being that you are seldom infected/affilcted while unconcious.

I have found the quinine in a gin and tonic has many health-giving properties. I take some on a regular basis just to keep the scurvy away, and it seems to be working.

The quinine's good to avoid malaria also.

Indeed! I will make sure to take plenty when going thru the Panama Canal. Thank you very much for your kind help.

Now that you mention it, perhaps I should begin treatments ahead of time, yes? No reason to put it off.

Indeed! I will make sure to take plenty when going thru the Panama Canal. Thank you very much for your kind help.

Now that you mention it, perhaps I should begin treatments ahead of time, yes? No reason to put it off.

Tell us, does Wadadli beer have beneficial side effects? I mean in addition to those of any old beer. And besides encouraging addictive nicknaming.

I have found the quinine in a gin and tonic has many health-giving properties. I take some on a regular basis just to keep the scurvy away, and it seems to be working.

Angela, It's the limes that keep the scurvy at bay. The quinine's for malaria,

The gin's for, well, the gin's for YOU!

Karie,

who has been drinking her Magellan this past week, and couldn't remember what brand I am supposed to try from suggestions on this board.

Tell us, does Wadadli beer have beneficial side effects? I mean in addition to those of any old beer. And besides encouraging addictive nicknaming.

Why yes, yes it does. Good for your digestion and for keeping you cool and happy in those hot, humid climates.

Hmm. Wonder if you wanted to bring a case home you would need to bring 23 other people to each claim a bottle at Customs when disembarking?

Why yes, yes it does. Good for your digestion and for keeping you cool and happy in those hot, humid climates.

Hmm. Wonder if you wanted to bring a case home you would need to bring 23 other people to each claim a bottle at Customs when disembarking?

Only if they are liter bottles I think customs measures it by the liter, which means you can't claim one bottle the size of a keg!<LOL>

Karie,

who thinks it doesn't count of it is INSIDE you!

Archived