Zuiderdam 12/23/04

Stevedan

We are booked on the Zdam for X-Mas with our 3 children (11,9 and 6). Anyone else going with us? We are a bit concerned about how the kids will like this ship. Is it as kid friendly as the Golden Princess, which we did 2 years ago? We have category VE staterooms on Verandah Deck. Any comments will be appreciated.

Steve in Northern NJ

We sailed the Zuiderdam two Xmas' ago and it was one of the worst vacations we had ever taken. Masses of people, waitng in line for everything (never took less than 30 minutes to get off at port), miserable ports (western Caribbean), never a chair at the pool, mediocre food and terrible service (nonexixtent room service as well). We willl never sail Holland America again. There were plenty of kids though. My 14 year old had alot of kids his age (although the ship's attempt at organized activities failed miserably) MY 19 year old was bored to death. Before everyone jumps down my throat, this was my experience. I guess it depends on your expectations. I cetainly expected a lot more.

I hope you have a better experience. Frankly, if it is not too late I would spring for a more upscale cruise line.

Archived