Question for Beachchick?

zookepr0

Beachchick, we are sailing Pride of Aloha December 12, 2007 we have done extensive reading of the boards and my husband has become quite a fan of your posts. I believe he has printed off over 80 pages of your posting's alone. I being a person of a more direct nature thought I'd just ask you; what would be your ideal first tour of Hawaii? We are mid 50's to early 60's in pretty good health not big swimmers or sun worshipers. We are very much looking forward to seeing beautiful scenery. We are arriving one day ahead coming from Detroit we know weather could be and issue. As experienced cruisers we usually can pick out excursions and narrow down just what to do, often on our own and not with the cruise line. But there is just so much to choose from in Hawaii I'm brain drained. I can see this trip is a different animal all together. Thank you ahead of time for your thoughts and advise. Denise

Aloha. Hm, I'm going to have to give that some thought. Quick ideas:

Oahu: Pearl Harbor, driving tour around the north shore, Diamond Head, Iolani Palace tour, Bishop Museum, Tantalus scenic drive.

Maui: Driving tour up to Haleakala (including all lookouts and visitors center), drive and visit of Iao Valley/Needle, road to Hana (not a must do, IMO), drive upcountry to Tedeschi Winery (and for great views). For the truly brave and extremely experienced and confident driver, the drive around north Maui (the Lahaina to Kahului way "clockwise" and not the other way around). This is a several hour scenic drive and more challenging than the road to Hana, so it's not a good idea for most people. Walking tour of Lahaina (several often overlooked historical sites) and beachwalk of Ka'anapali, including Whaler's Village (there's a small whaling museum).

Kauai: Driving tour up through Waimea Canyon (including all the lookouts and the lodge, and perhaps a short hike), Poipu area and spouting horn, tour up to Princeville (beautiful drive includes small communities, gorgeous and famous beaches and bays, lots of scenery).

Kona: Driving tour of Kona area (south) including Kona coffee tasting, Place of Refuge (national park), Painted Church, and even all the way down to South Point if you're adventurous.

Hilo: VNP (hands down number 1) or driving tour of the Puna district or driving tour to the various waterfalls (not a priority, IMO). Also Big Island Candies in Hilo and/or the mac nut farm. Also if doing VNP and you don't want to spend the whole day at VNP (IMO, it deserves a full day), drive past the entrance to VNP and over to Punalu'u black sand beach (45 minutes or so each way past the VNP entrance).

Hope that's a good start.

beachchick

I am also a big fan of Beachchick and lived by her posts until we went on our cruise on June 25th. I only replied because we are a couple the same age as you and if you can find my trip report you can see what we did and see if it works for you.

Swifs thanks for posting we are the same age but not newly weds any longer. Forty plus years , eight kids and eleven grands life is never dull!!

Beachchick we appreciate your help and will be writing back as soon as my dear husband comes up for air at work. Ah, the reason we cruise. A moment of sanity in our crazy life. Thanks Denise

Aloha. Hm, I'm going to have to give that some thought. Quick ideas:

Maui: Driving tour up to Haleakala (including all lookouts and visitors center), drive and visit of Iao Valley/Needle, road to Hana (not a must do, IMO), drive upcountry to Tedeschi Winery (and for great views). For the truly brave and extremely experienced and confident driver, the drive around north Maui (the Lahaina to Kahului way "clockwise" and not the other way around). This is a several hour scenic drive and more challenging than the road to Hana, so it's not a good idea for most people. Walking tour of Lahaina (several often overlooked historical sites) and beachwalk of Ka'anapali, including Whaler's Village (there's a small whaling museum).

[/quoteThanks Beachchick, So would you recommend this drive over the road to Hana? I am a bus driver in the Adirondack mountains so winding roads don't bother me. I would like to see and photograph a variety of things in our short time on Mauai. Thanks Sue

Why is clockwise better :confused: Mahalo

beachchick will answer too, I'm sure. Hope you don't mind me offering an answer, beachchick... Clockwise you are against the mountains/hillside. Counterclockwise, you are along the cliffs/ocean. Much better to hug the mountainside and sideswipe the passenger side of the car than make a mistake and have the passenger side wheels go off the side of the road sending you over the side of the road and into the ocean/down the mountainside. It's easier to back up alongside the hillside as well. Much more nerve-wracking to back up alongside the edge of the road if you have to make way for oncoming traffic.

I've been to Maui over a dozen times and my vote would be to spend the day in Lahaina or along Kaanapali to Kapalua. Haleakala and Iao Valley are also very beautiful. If you go to Haleakala, be sure to stop in Makawao and Paia. To me, Hana and the north Maui drive are ones I'd bypass. beachchick is absolutely right - the north Maui drive is beautiful but she was absolutely serious when she said it was for "truly brave and extremely experienced and confident drivers". It is not a journey to be taken on a whim.

Thanks so much Beachchick & Beach4me,

I am so excited about this trip and all your tidbits of information are really helpful. It's so nice of you to take time out of your day to help us tourons (tourist morons). I hope to take some great photos and post them when I get back. Thanks again.

Sue

tourons (tourist morons)

ROTLF!!!! I've never heard that term before. What a hoot!

Trust me, Sue, you are not a "touron"! And, you are more than welcome. I could happily talk about Hawaii (and Maui in particular!) all day long. You are going to one of my favorite places on Earth! I hope you enjoy it even half as much as I do. If so, you will have a wonderful time.

Aloha!

beachchick will answer too, I'm sure. Hope you don't mind me offering an answer, beachchick... Clockwise you are against the mountains/hillside. Counterclockwise, you are along the cliffs/ocean. Much better to hug the mountainside and sideswipe the passenger side of the car than make a mistake and have the passenger side wheels go off the side of the road sending you over the side of the road and into the ocean/down the mountainside. It's easier to back up alongside the hillside as well. Much more nerve-wracking to back up alongside the edge of the road if you have to make way for oncoming traffic.

I've been to Maui over a dozen times and my vote would be to spend the day in Lahaina or along Kaanapali to Kapalua. Haleakala and Iao Valley are also very beautiful. If you go to Haleakala, be sure to stop in Makawao and Paia. To me, Hana and the north Maui drive are ones I'd bypass. beachchick is absolutely right - the north Maui drive is beautiful but she was absolutely serious when she said it was for "truly brave and extremely experienced and confident drivers". It is not a journey to be taken on a whim.

Oh goodness, of course I don't mind in the slightest.:D You've got such amazingly good information and ideas. (Others do too and our wonderful Hawaii locals are so helpful; your suggestions are outstanding--well, okay except for that little difference we have of Kimo's vs LFC :p, and naturally both are good).

You said pretty much what I would say in terms of which way to drive the north, if even to drive it. It's not the most challenging road in the world, but I cannot recommend for any but the experienced and confident drivers, and for those who realize it's a slow scenic drive where many stops should be made. It's kind of hard to tell on some maps, so people think, "Oh look, and easy and quick alternate route to taking 380/30 across the island"--NOT.

Yep, your suggestions for other places to consider are right on. Those are some of our favorites (and ones we recommend to first-timers) too.

beachchick

Hi Beachchick & Beach4me.

I am intrigued by the north Mauai drive. My dh and I love the road less travelled, but, I am heeding your warning about the driving even though I am a seasoned professional driver who lives in the mountains. Is there a point of no return? If we start and decide it's just not worth it is there somewhere safe to turn around? Thanks so much!!!

Sue

Archived