Calling US from Europe-Mobal and Calling Card?

CCMP

From some other threads, I see that some folks recommend buying a $49 Mobal phone. However, the cost to call the US from Italy and Great Britain (the two main places we will be going) is $1.50 per minute per the Mobal website. On a prior land trip to Australia, I bought a prepaid international calling card which I used from hotel land lines. I am wondering if it is possible to buy the $49 Mobal phone and then also buy a prepaid international calling card to lower the charge per minute. Is there any way to combine these two options or am I dreaming? Thanks. CCMP

From some other threads, I see that some folks recommend buying a $49 Mobal phone. However, the cost to call the US from Italy and Great Britain (the two main places we will be going) is $1.50 per minute per the Mobal website. On a prior land trip to Australia, I bought a prepaid international calling card which I used from hotel land lines. I am wondering if it is possible to buy the $49 Mobal phone and then also buy a prepaid international calling card to lower the charge per minute. Is there any way to combine these two options or am I dreaming? Thanks. CCMP

Dreaming-you will still pay the per minute charge as your Mobal phone is hooked up to the calling card number. So you are paying both charges.

Either use the calling card from the hotel (watch the hotel charges for using an international calling cards-they can be very steep), use the calling card from a pay phone or use the Mobal phone. I love my Mobal phone, even though the charges can be fairly steep calling the US. No monthly charges, always have a cell phone good in a wide variety of countries.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that primarily we will be cruising and didn't think I would have easy access to a land line which is why I was looking into the Mobal. But you answered my question, I was dreaming! Thanks for the information.

Ok here's what ya do:D

In Italy ask for directions in ANY port to the "Internet Train" store. They are EVERYWHERE!-worse than 7-11 or Starbux-cost to call UK and USA are 14 centimes per minute. You go into one of these places-open @ 9am, close @ midnight and buy time on their internet/computer usage plan which gets you an Internet Train card-reloadable with mins. This same card can be used for making calls at the same location to anywhere in the world for PENNIES! The card and joining is free just bring a pix ID w\you to sign up.

Try to google Internet Train and see the locations-I still have my card, if you don't find info write back and I'll get you the info.

BTW because we spent so much time in Europe this summer I did buy 2 cell phones-reloadable-BUT- at sea you'll not get a signal my friend unless you have a sattelite phone:o

If you decide to buy a mobile or 2, only buy the minimum # of mins for one of them if you want to save $$ as most of them have free incoming calls.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok here's what ya do:D

In Italy ask for directions in ANY port to the "Internet Train" store. They are EVERYWHERE!-worse than 7-11 or Starbux-cost to call UK and USA are 14 centimes per minute. You go into one of these places-open @ 9am, close @ midnight and buy time on their internet/computer usage plan which gets you an Internet Train card-reloadable with mins. This same card can be used for making calls at the same location to anywhere in the world for PENNIES! The card and joining is free just bring a pix ID w\you to sign up.

Try to google Internet Train and see the locations-I still have my card, if you don't find info write back and I'll get you the info.

BTW because we spent so much time in Europe this summer I did buy 2 cell phones-reloadable-BUT- at sea you'll not get a signal my friend unless you have a sattelite phone:o

If you decide to buy a mobile or 2, only buy the minimum # of mins for one of them if you want to save $$ as most of them have free incoming calls.

What a great tip! Thanks.

Archived