D1 And E1 Aft Cabins on AOS

Aft cabin lovers here and I need some help please. Planning to book the AOS next July and the D1 1688 and 1388 are gone:( My other option is to grab 1690. However since this is not the corner aft, is this cabin and balcony pretty much the same in size as the middle E1 cabins (9692 & 9392) Difference in price is 200.00 so not sure if it is worth it. What do you think?? Are the E1 aft cabins on deck 7 and 8 the same as 9 or do they have more superstructure in front of them? Thanks

Aft cabin lovers here and I need some help please. Planning to book the AOS next July and the D1 1688 and 1388 are gone:( My other option is to grab 1690. However since this is not the corner aft, is this cabin and balcony pretty much the same in size as the middle E1 cabins (9692 & 9392) Difference in price is 200.00 so not sure if it is worth it. What do you think?? Are the E1 aft cabins on deck 7 and 8 the same as 9 or do they have more superstructure in front of them? Thanks

1690 is an awesome cabin (definitely larger than the E1's) and it has a HUGE balcony with a perfect view! It would be my #2 choice if I could not get 1688/1388 for sure! 1690 in my opinion is a MUCH better choice than 9692/9392 and would be worth the extra $200. 1690's balcony is actually BETTER than 1688/1388's balcony. I have booked 1688 AND 1690 several times for ourselves and our friends. 1688 has the preferable cabin and 1690 has the preferable balcony! But both are category D1's and the D1's are definitely larger than the E1's. You will LOVE 1690! Grab it fast!

bonnie - voyager has some great pics for us afters, and i concure with bonnie ,that 1690 is indeed a great room to get,so i say go for it, and look at bonnie-voyagers pics, they can be helpful in making these decisions,hope you have a nice cruise:))):p ;)

Bonnie I have 8690 booked for october on the AOS....will I enjoy it and what about this soot I keep hearing about?

I have never had a soot issue and I've sailed aft many times. I do hear of people complaining about soot now and then though, so I presume it is an unpredictable event but nothing too serious even for those who have complained about it. Mostly they say they just wiped their chairs down before sitting in them. I would not worry too much about soot. Most people don't complain about it. 8690 is a sunny balcony with a great view. The cabin is the same as any category E cabin except it does not have the usual double-sliding glass doors. Instead it has one single door. Most people say this is a non-issue though. They still get plenty of light in the cabin and the view is unobstructed. The balcony is large but not as large as most of the other aft balconies as it is sort of pie-shaped. You will read hundreds of positive reviews about this cabin and very few negative ones, so I think you will enjoy it!

I have been aft a few times , but only on The AOS was there is soot problem. It only was in the mornings when they were cleaning the windows on the Windjammer. I had cabin 1390(my favorite cabin) and it was only by the railing of the balcony,but the people in the family suite on deck nine below us were irrate. They had black soot or dirt on their table and chairs.

They had the Purser's Office up there the first few days to complain about it.

Go with your aft cabin on deck 10, you will love it.

Well, I have 1690 on a courtesy hold.:D But, after looking at some of the pictures, the E1 corners 7688 & 7388 balconies appear to be the biggest. Are they?? Both cabins are still available.

Bonnie (Queen of Aft):) and others, what are your thoughts on these 3 cabins?? TIA

Well, I have 1690 on a courtesy hold.:D But, after looking at some of the pictures, the E1 corners 7688 & 7388 balconies appear to be the biggest. Are they?? Both cabins are still available.

Bonnie (Queen of Aft):) and others, what are your thoughts on these 3 cabins?? TIA

This is just my opinion, but I personally prefer 1690 to the deck 7 aft/corner cabins. Yes, the deck 7 aft/corner cabins have a MUCH larger balcony but they also have a noticeably smaller cabin and I would rather have the best of both worlds which I feel 1690 provides! 1690 has a very nice-sized cabin and a HUGE balcony with no obstructions. 7688/7388 has a somewhat small cabin with a COLOSSAL balcony that has some obstructions. Also, how many are traveling in your cabin? If it is more than 2, 7688/7388 has a pullman bed that drops down from the ceiling right on top of the head of the regular bed/beds. I don't like this at all! In the deck 10 aft cabins the 3rd and/or 4th passengers sleep on a queen-sized sofa bed. If you only have 2 passengers sailing then this would not be an issue in either cabin. But I would especially prefer the deck 10 cabin for its roominess if I was travelling with more than 2 passengers. So, my vote is always for a D1 or JS on Deck 10 aft. If that option is not available, then I look at the category E's with 7688/7388 being first pick followed by a category E on Deck 9, then Deck 8, and so on. I also prefer shade to sun, so I avoid the corner cabins on decks 9 and 8. I personally would not select an aft on Deck 6 because my favorite thing about the aft cabins is the awesome view looking down at the sparkling colors of the wake and from Deck 6 you really don't get to look down at the wake. You have to look straight out to see it and it changes the perception of the view a bit. Okay, that was a mouthful! To make a long story shorter....keep 1690 if you want the best of all worlds. Switch to deck 7 aft/corner if you don't mind a smaller cabin and slight obstructions to have the biggest balcony on the ship! It's a win/win either way!

Bonnie, you seem to be really knowledgable about afts. Have a question that I hope you can answer for me. We have a hump booked- deck 7 # 7602 on the Radiance. Can bump up to an aft on deck 10 either #1104 or #1604. Don't want the sun beating on us all the time- love being on our balcony in the morning for coffee and in the late afternnon to just unwind from the day. What do you think we should do? Have never done an aft but keep hearing great things about them.

Take 1690 and quickly! It was our room in May and we LOVED it. Much better balcony than 1688,IMHO. But the room is not as big as 1688. So I guess it depends on your preference. The balcony felt as big as the room. 10th floor is where it is at FOR ME! WE could look down on others (which I don't think I'd care for). Lots of pics out there. Enjoy!

Karen

Bonnie, you seem to be really knowledgable about afts. Have a question that I hope you can answer for me. We have a hump booked- deck 7 # 7602 on the Radiance. Can bump up to an aft on deck 10 either #1104 or #1604. Don't want the sun beating on us all the time- love being on our balcony in the morning for coffee and in the late afternnon to just unwind from the day. What do you think we should do? Have never done an aft but keep hearing great things about them.

I am totally biased but I would not even blink an eye in this decision. It is NO CONTEST! 1104 and 1604 completely BLOW 7602 away in my opinion! For myself, I see no benefit to 7602. It has a normal sized balcony that at times will be full sun (depending on time of day and direction travelled), it is a smaller cabin, it is located too close to the "action" for my comfort. I don't like being too close to the atrium. 1104/1604 have HUGE balconies that will always have some shade and some sun, a larger cabin, a view to die for (wake watching is my all-time favorite cruise activity!), and it is always so quiet in the aft cabins as most people won't walk that far down the hallway unless they are heading to their own cabin. I love to walk and I love the extra calories burned just coming to and from our aft cabins. It helps keep my weight in check! So, for me, it's aft all the way! The hump holds no attraction for me unless it's one of the off-center humps with a larger balcony, but even then I miss my wake-watching too much to sacrifice the move from aft to hump. Everyone has their own thoughts on this though, but those are MY thoughts! ;)

Archived