Accessible beaches?

seaside65

Dear mom and I are travelling to Bermuda next month. Mom has a bum knee and can't do stairs or steep inclines very well. What is our best bet for beaches?

I think the best option is St. Catherine's in St. George. It is very wide and open as Horseshoe, but much more accessible. You can get the minivan in the square in St. George and it will drop you right at the beach. It is pretty flat there and you can walk right on to the beach which has facilities, a snack bar etc. You could possibly do Horseshoe Bay, but you need to take a taxi right to the beach. If you take a bus, then you need to pay $1 or so for a shuttle to the beach. Horseshoe Bay is a long steep climb from the road to the beach otherwise. Another lesser known alternative is Clearwater Beach on St. David's. From the road to the beach is flat and straight. This beach also has a snack bar, facilites, changing areas and rentals. You do need crocs or water shoes as there are bands of rocks accross the beach itself. But it does have a beautiful view of the lighthouse and the planes come accross the reef to the right to make landings at the airport.:)

writeratsea, thank you! Mom's name is Catherine . . . . wouldn't that be fun for her on her 75th birthday?! Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out Utube and saw exactly what you were describing. Horsehoe is closer to St. George or Hamilton? We are docking in both places, curious about cab fare. . . .

writeratsea, thank you! Mom's name is Catherine . . . . wouldn't that be fun for her on her 75th birthday?! Thanks for the suggestions. I checked out Utube and saw exactly what you were describing. Horsehoe is closer to St. George or Hamilton? We are docking in both places, curious about cab fare. . . .

You want to save Horseshoe for when you dock in Hamilton. It is a short ride, about 15 to 20 minutes. I think the taxi was about $20. It might be a little more, but I think it would be worth it as the taxi will take you right to the beginning of the beach at the parking lot. That way you avoid the long steep hill. The changing area/ bathrooms is a large building that is very accessible, just walk straight in. The walk from there to the beach is also pretty flat and straight. If it gets too crowded, then just move to the right as there is plenty of room. It just gets crowded in the center. St. Catherine's beach is also right next to Fort St. Catherine, so she might get a kick out of that. You can go there when you are in St. George. But you either have to take a taxi or the minivan as otherwise it is a good walk up a long steep hill. The minivan is only $3 per person each way and the taxi for 4 was $12, basically the same. If you are docked in both, why not hit both beaches. Both are impressive. I also love John Smith's but it has a high bluff up top and you walk down the sand to the beach. Perhaps you could view that beach on YouTube and see if that is viable as well.:)

don't forget john smith's bay, on the #1 bus route from st georges, or shelly bay on the #10&11 route, which probably would be her best bet as it is a really calm and very shallow beach

I love John Smith's Bay. It has everything you are looking for in a beach. Nice sand, great views, reefs, caves to explore, facilities and best of all, not crowded. It is our favorite beach. I am reluctant to reccommend it for her mom because she has difficulty walking. Do you think the slope down from the bluffs at the top to the beach is gentle enough for her to navigate without too much difficulty or not. Shelly is a nice beach, definitely low key and shallow. It is also easy to get to on the number 10 or 11 bus. I still feel the best bet is St. Catherine's, an easy walk from the road right to the beach.:)

• 2 weeks later...

:) thank you all so much for your help and discussions on accessible beaches. It is very helpful. There is a lot we want to do while in Bermuda, beaches being one of them.

I don't remember the name of the beach my DH and I visited while mopeding around the rock - - - but it was a long, long set of stairs to the most beautiful beach with the pinkest of sand - it was so gorgeous. Mom couldn't do all those steps, but the view from the top was stunning as well.

Archived