US Resident/Expired Foreign Passport

cruising4u

Another question on passport situation - We are cruising in Dec. and returning in Dec. 07.

My husband is a US Permanent Resident w/ a valid Green Card and an expired Polish Passport. We are debating if he should renew his passport, due to the fact that it can take possibly up to 1 year to renew. The Polish Embassy stated they would issue him a temporary passport.

2 questions - Is a temporary password good enough?

If he re-news, do they take his current passport with

has expired?

I'm starting to worry about the situation!

Thanks

You should worry. Not being a US citizen changes everything. He will not be able to cruise with an expired Polish passport, not even with a green card. You need to call the cruise line and see if they'll allow a temporary passport. In all likelihood, they won't. Have you thought of going to a Polish Embassy/Consulate to expedite a passport? Foreign nationals, even those with green cards, need a valid passport to board a cruise ship, and they will not accept an expired passport from a non-US citizen. Even for US citizens, the rule used to be you could use an expired US passport, if it was expired for no longer than 6 months. But even that's not the case anymore.

If he renews, do they take his current passport with

has expired?

In the US for a US passport renewal you submit your expired (or soon to expire) passport with your application and it is return with your new passport. I do not know what Poland does.

I would worry a little, too, and get on this ASAP. Whatever answers you get, get in writing.

I would get cracken. In todays world everyone should have a valid passport and not wait until they intend to travel. You never know when the opportunity will arise. But in the final analysis always check with official sources. CCers are great but rules and regs are changing regularly. Only rely on official sources.:) :D :) :D

In the US for a US passport renewal you submit your expired (or soon to expire) passport with your application and it is return with your new passport. I do not know what Poland does.

I would worry a little, too, and get on this ASAP. Whatever answers you get, get in writing.

This is great advise for those who are US Citizens. Unfortunately, the OP is referring to someone who's citizenship is Polish.

Another question on passport situation - We are cruising in Dec. and returning in Dec. 07.

My husband is a US Permanent Resident w/ a valid Green Card and an expired Polish Passport. We are debating if he should renew his passport, due to the fact that it can take possibly up to 1 year to renew. The Polish Embassy stated they would issue him a temporary passport.

has expired?

Thanks

A passport is a passport. A temporary one means that it will not be good for many years but it is good for traveling as long as the expiration date is beyond 6 months of entering a foreign country. Some countries do keep the old passports when applying for a new one. Is the a Polish Consular office in Chicago that could renew the passport without having to mail it all the way to DC?

has expired?

Thanks

If his passport is expired it cannot be used so there is no harm in sending it in to be renewed.

My husband is an Australian citizen and sent his passport into the Australian consulate in NYC and had it back, renewed, in a flash. Not sure how quickly the Polish embassy is but it is worth a try. GOOGLE the phone number in NYC..ask how long if you mail it in.

Your husband will need a valid passport and his resident alien card to board.

Archived