One more CPAP question

werchy

My 11 year old daughter's CPAP machine has a removeable "Smart Card" that her doctor loads into his computer to analyze the data such as pressure, apneas, etc. Since we are flying into LAX for our cruise on the Monarch, we will be carrying her CPAP on the plane as a "carry on". Does anyone know if we will need to remove the "Smart Card" from the machine when it goes through the x-ray, or if they even put the machine through the x-ray machine? I don't want to cause any damage to the CPAP, and we are new to traveling with the machine.

thanks!

melissa

My 11 year old daughter's CPAP machine has a removeable "Smart Card" that her doctor loads into his computer to analyze the data such as pressure, apneas, etc. Since we are flying into LAX for our cruise on the Monarch, we will be carrying her CPAP on the plane as a "carry on". Does anyone know if we will need to remove the "Smart Card" from the machine when it goes through the x-ray, or if they even put the machine through the x-ray machine? I don't want to cause any damage to the CPAP, and we are new to traveling with the machine.

thanks!

melissa

Not sure about the "smart card" you might want to check with the doctor on that. They will however xray the bag and most times they will NOT ask you to remove it from the bag. Also the carry bag for the machine is NOT counted towards your total carry on limit since it is medical equipment.

is there a reason why you didn't post this question in your other thread?

Maybe she thought to append it after the edit button disappeared from her first post.

As I said in your other thread, they usually pull me aside and have me remove the machine from it's case and swab it and read the residue on their mystery machines.

Traveling with a CPAP is no problem at all. The TSA people are very used to it, and so are the cabin stewards. Just be sure to take a long extension cord with you. I also carry a current converter, just in case I should get stuck in some foreign country.

The CPAP goes through the x-ray with no problems. I would say about one third of the time they pull my carry on out of the machine and run a swab over it. Maybe one third of THOSE times, they actually take the machine out of the carry on and look it over. Never takes more than about two minutes.

As for the smart card, I don't see why it couldn't go through the x-ray. Computers and digital cameras do. However you might want to check with your doctor to be positive.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Have a GREAT cruise!

thanks!

melissa

I can't help you with the smart card. I'd take it out to be safe. As far as the machine going thorough the x-ray it's always gone thorugh the machines on my travels. More often than not they also took it on the side took it out and inspected it. I have a Dr.'s note saying it is a CPAP machine and it is a medical device. Hand carry it on the plane. It will not be counted as a carry on.

Perhaps you could have explained WHY you asked the question at the SAME time you asked it. It came across as rude sarcasm. If you must know.... we are new to traveling with my little girl's machine and new questions are popping up as I am packing for the cruise.

Also, you said you were doing it for the benefit of new members... if you had taken the time to look at when I joined (almost 3 years ago), before just jumping back with a sarcastic comment you would have seen that I am not new to the boards.

I am assuming that you always wait until you have a long list of questions to ask before a cruise, so as not to post more than once in the chance that it might annoy ONE person. :rolleyes:

Lighten up!

Perhaps you could have explained WHY you asked the question at the SAME time you asked it. It came across as rude sarcasm. If you must know.... we are new to traveling with my little girl's machine and new questions are popping up as I am packing for the cruise.

Also, you said you were doing it for the benefit of new members... if you had taken the time to look at when I joined (almost 3 years ago), before just jumping back with a sarcastic comment you would have seen that I am not new to the boards.

I am assuming that you always wait until you have a long list of questions to ask before a cruise, so as not to post more than once in the chance that it might annoy ONE person. :rolleyes:

Lighten up!

Yes please do...I also was offended by your comment...this women wants an answer to a serious problem involving her daughter...your comment was not at all nice.

Archived