To Surprise or Not Surprise

shancan911

I have a 3 and 7 year old and I always tell them so they can join in the planning. Then when we get down to day 30, I create a cruise calendar for them with pics from the ship we are going on. And every morning they get up and mark off another X on the calendar.

The reason I tell them is so I can get their opinions on the excursions. I figured my 7 year old would love to swim with the stingrays...nope...she vetoed that idea. She said she would be too afraid.

But if you want to wait till Christmas for a cruise in February, then I don't see anything wrong with that.

Hi cruisinmama,

This is off topic, but how did you include more photos in your signature? So far, I have the one of us and the avatar pic. Thanks for your help!

Hi cruisinmama,

This is off topic, but how did you include more photos in your signature? So far, I have the one of us and the avatar pic. Thanks for your help!

You can try adding them via a photo host page, such as photobucket. Then just copy & past the in you signature under User CP.....:confused: Was that confusing? Sorry????

Hi momofmn00,

Thanks for the info!! As you can see, I was able to add the pic of my DDs in Coco Cay on our last cruise.

Thanks again!

How cute they are!!!! Looks like they had a blast on your last cruise! Have a great time on your upcoming cruise! What/if any excursions do you do with them? Do they like camp onboard?

How cute they are!!!! Looks like they had a blast on your last cruise! Have a great time on your upcoming cruise! What/if any excursions do you do with them? Do they like camp onboard?

Oh they looooove the kids club!! Our last (and only) cruise was to Nassau where we took the DDs on a walk to the Pirate Museum. At first they were a bit nervous (the museum was rather dark) but as soon as they saw a stuffed goat, all was well. After the walk back to the ship they were ready for lunch and then time in the AO. DH and I had a little alone time (yippie!) and on Coco Cay the DDs spent time in the AO on the island and lunch and some swimming with us. That was about it, excursion-wise.

This cruise I have a tour scheduled for all of us to Dunns River (probably just splash around) and then a Stingray charter for the four of us in G.Cayman. I hope it won't be too much but I think they will really enjoy it.

BTW, your 2 little ones are darling! How old are they? Mine are 5 & 7. How are your's with excursions and AO?

BTW, your 2 little ones are darling! How old are they? Mine are 5 & 7. How are your's with excursions and AO?

Thanks! Well, my DD is 7 and my DS is 6! LOL, yeah 13 months apart! :eek: Anyway, our first cruise the kids did not come with DH & I but stayed with their Meme & Papa (my parents) for a week so they wouldn't miss school. They were trying for the perfect attendance award @ their Elementary school and we decided to take a VERY LATE HONEYMOON (LOL~YEAH RIGHT-8 YEARS!!!!:rolleyes: ) wit just the 2 of us! It was fun to have some adult only time since DH works 80+ hours a week, but I SURE DID MISS THE KIDS!!!!:eek: We are making plans for a cruise for NEXT October~YES...the kids WILL be missing school :eek: for it, but are already looking forward to it! To bad it is 13 months away!!!! I think they will have a great time at the onboard camps...they are both pretty social. As for excursions, I would like to do the sailboat excursion (need to check age limit as DS will only be 7 then)in Jamacia, Pirate Boat excursion in GC and probably a Dolphin encounter in Cozumel...IDK for sure though...I have so much time to change my mind....lol...although my kids are both getting quite good at snorkling in the pool and in the lake....so we might be able to do a snorkle excursions (although will probably have to be by ourselves since I thnk most snorkle excursions say you need to be 8.....:rolleyes:

Thanks! Well, my DD is 7 and my DS is 6! LOL, yeah 13 months apart! :eek:

Woo Hoo! Irish Twins! I thought I had it close with 25 months apart. You go, girl!

As for excursions, I would like to do the sailboat excursion (need to check age limit as DS will only be 7 then)in Jamacia, Pirate Boat excursion in GC and probably a Dolphin encounter in Cozumel...IDK for sure though...I have so much time to change my mind....lol...although my kids are both getting quite good at snorkling in the pool and in the lake....so we might be able to do a snorkle excursions (although will probably have to be by ourselves since I thnk most snorkle excursions say you need to be 8.....:rolleyes:

Well, 13 months away means you will have an 8 y.o. and an almost 8 y.o. so it shouldn't be an issue, IMHO. My DDs are getting the snorkeling thing down somewhat, but we'll just see how it goes. If DH and I need to take turns snorkeling, so be it. I'll let you know how it goes after our cruise!

I have heard the Pirate Boat excursion is great in GC!

Well, 13 months away means you will have an 8 y.o. and an almost 8 y.o. so it shouldn't be an issue, IMHO. My DDs are getting the snorkeling thing down somewhat, but we'll just see how it goes. If DH and I need to take turns snorkeling, so be it. I'll let you know how it goes after our cruise!

I have heard the Pirate Boat excursion is great in GC!

SURE! Let me knw what excursions you all do and hav a great time!!!!!:D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I found this thread, lots of great ideas! We took our first trip to Disney in March of this year and the kids knew all about it. It was fun having them in on all the planning, anticipation, etc. We're going to take our first family cruise Spring Break 2008 and so far it's a surprise. I think I'd really like to keep it that way. Our kids will be 7 and 10 at the time. I figured I can get packed the week before while they are at school and they won't have a clue. Then they can just go to bed like normal Friday night, DH and I will pack the car and Saturday morning we'll hit the road for our 'surprise.' At least that way they'll get a good night's sleep. Heck, I have a hard enough time as an adult sleeping the night before something exciting! LOL Looking forward to reading other's responses...

At least that way they'll get a good night's sleep. Heck, I have a hard enough time as an adult sleeping the night before something exciting! LOL ...

LOL~Ain't that the truth!!!! My DS just got back from Disney Trip with his grandparents (my parents) and he knew about it...so for 3 weeks all I heard it when are we going...how many more days??? I think the planning part may have been fun for him since he knew...but the anticipations was SO much for him... and for older sis who got to go to Disney LAST year and WAS NOT going THIS time...It was hard on her to watch us shop for stuff...espically since she knew what she would be missing...:( (BUT, we planned alot of fun things for her and mommy to do while bubby was gone... :cool: )

WE are taking he kids NEXT OCT and they already know about it so 13 months is a long time to hear when are we going....LOL!!!! But...it's not TOO Bad right now....:rolleyes:

636055387_1000_0046_044.jpg

DS at the Pirate & Princess Party At WDW

100_4298.jpg

This is a pic of us on the way to drop off the boys with meme & papa to ge on their way to the airport...LOL! The funny thng is, my DD is the only one smiling, and she wasn't even geting to go. My DS is the one in the middle with the Grand Cayman Pirate shirt on (GO FIGURE...his souvenior from my cruise!!!)...Nephew was also going to Disney,, and doesn't look too impressed either...LOL!!!!

I surprised my husband and 2 sons, ages 6 and 8, last year for Christmas with a cruise. Their final gift for Christmas was a suitcase filled with clothes packed for the cruise along with the cruise ticket. Once that surprise sunk in I then explained we were going with a group of 37 friends, including some of their good friends. All were thrilled and so excited to only have to wait 3 weeks to board ship. That was a perfect amount a time to answer all the questions but not too long to drive me crazy. Have a great time. Annette

That was a perfect amount a time to answer all the questions but not too long to drive me crazy. Have a great time. Annette

Yeah, that is how long we had from when the boys found out they were going to disney and they left....LOL! Just about the right ammount of time I think...enough time to get everyone prepared, but no too long where all you here is "when will we be going?" for 13 months likr our cruise is....:eek:

• 4 months later...

Are you kidding? I can't keep a secret like that. The morning I booked the Disney cruise I wanted to tell the kids (I did it before school). DH made me wait until they got home and it was agonizing not to say anything right away. They were very excited once I did tell them and it was fun to go through the brochures with them, peruse the website. It really increased everyone's excitement.

On our last cruise in September, we had planned to surprise the kids. We kept it a secret for a while, but I couldn't stand being so excited while they had nothing to be excited about. So we talked it over and decided to tell them. They both like to know exactly what the schedule is going to be, and they love all the planning and our asking their advice. I just don't think they would have been as excited if they couldn't look forward to it.

I was a poster in the first page - and am just now coming up on the surprise Disney cruise I booked for my son's 11th birthday. It is Jan 31st, and I am planning on telling him the weekend before at his birthday party. It has been hard to keep the secret - in fact I have deliberately not done any of my usual planning and obsessing as I was afraid to have it on my mind too much, because stuff on my mind tends to get blurted out when I think aloud :p . 22 days until our cruise, 17 days until I can tell my son!

SURE! Let me knw what excursions you all do and hav a great time!!!!!:D

I'm sorry about the delay...life got in the way! We had a blast surprising the DDs (I wrote a review for CC about our time on the Enchantment cruise 9/15/07) and as you can see from the pic all four of us climbed Dunn's River from beginning to end. Petting, holding and yes, kissing stingrays was a blast and my DDs loved it (after about 3 minutes of getting used to big things swimming close by) and we snorkled at two different sites and the DDs did great there as well. I am being nagged almost everyday about "when are we going on a cruise?" and I hope we will be able to schedule another soon or I will go nuts:eek: !

Any questions, let me know!

Happy 2008!

• 3 weeks later...
Reviving this thread...

Anyone else have good (or bad) surprise experiences? OP, did you end up keeping it a surprise?

So far, so good on our surprise family cruise. Though DD10 did about bust me last night planning shore excursions. LOL

OP here, we haven't told him yet!! I'm not 100% convinced he doesn't know something's up, but I know he doesn't know what. We bought him the cutest tux off of EBaY. It even has tails. My mom has been a great help. She has been talking to him about how she wants to have Belle (our cat) come for a sleepover. So that will help with getting the cat out of the house without quesiton. My best friend is cruising with us, and she's packing him a goodie bag with new swimsuit and stuff. Wait till he sees her at the airport!! It's getting hard not to tell him, because I'm so excited. But, I can't wait to see his face when we go to the airport, when we get to the ocean, and then the next day when we see the Liberty of the Seas. I'm a photo nut, so I'll have photos of all the surprises. I'll post them upon return. 15 days to go!

Archived