Daft son concerns!

kken67

kken67,

My family has a saying that works a lot of time. Don't borrow trouble. Jordan will probably do just fine. He may run into someone, that happens, just make sure he knows to say I am sorry and is concerned.

Between the pools and the BB courts he will find ways to have fun. Just do the normal parent stuff in regards to checking on him.

The tell me about your day, I want to meet your new friends stuff. Personally I have met more nice kids on cruises than bad kids on cruises.

Believe me even the seniors know the growth stage you are talking about.

I have to say, in all the cruises I've taken, I've been intentionally shoved more by senior citizens getting on the elevator and into the buffet line, than teenagers. Come to think of it, I've never been intentionally shoved by a teenager. I've "bumped" into a lot of people, can't help it when you have that many people confined in one vessel.

I am trying to think of a polite way of asking this, but has he had problems with his size and strength and hurting others? This concerns me, as he is still technically a child, but at 14, he should be aware of his actions as they relate to others. A young man of his size can very seriously hurt someone if he is not aware of what he is doing. I am not suggesting that you tie him to your belt all day long, but I would make sure that he is aware of his actions and how they impact others. By the time of your cruise, he will be 15, which is most definitely old enough to know what he's doing. If he is still causing you doubts and concern, then I would watch him like a hawk.

Jordan is probably one of the nicest teenagers i know (I would say that even if i wasn't his mum) He has never given me any reason not to trust him. He is a really good kid but he doesnt always recognise his size in comparison to his peers. He is aware of his actions and would be completely gutted if he were to hurt anyone, he has only really knocked friends over when they have all been chasing around a playground so no lasting damage. He is very good at sports and has always been on school teams, we just remind him to be careful. As previously mentioned, his hugs are wonderful but we do remind him to hug more gently people who are more delicate and he always does.

My initial concern was him going over the railings or getting hurt on the flowrider or climbing wall as he approaches all physical activities with 110 percent. This all stems from experience - numerous phonecalls from school or the skatepark or friends mums to say he has wacked his head or broken something. Dont take this the wrong way but i am not worried for other people, he is the one who gets hurt. I guess he just needs to grow into his skin. I am sure everything will be fine, we have a year to go so perhaps he will be more graceful by then!

I believe they also have a kids program for that age group? I believe my son was around that age when I took him on his first cruise and he loved their kids club. It is a great way for him to meet other kids his age and hopefully use of some of that energy in a positive manner.

chesire999 - too funny I was thinking the same thing. So when are they going to add rules regarding unruly senior citizens?

Your son sounds very much like mine, from his height to his behavior. My son also had just turned 15 when we cruised last summer. I set down the rules for him, and to the best of my knowledge, he followed them. He was told he was not allowed in anyone else's cabin, nor was he allowed to bring anyone to his. No alcohol, of course, no running thru hallways, knocking on cabin doors, or pressing elevator buttons. Someone mentioned that he is too young for the gym. While this is true, it was the one rule I allowed him to break. Since he is familiar with the equipment and big enough to pass for 16, I told him the following. You may use the gym, and if someone asks you how old you are you have my permission to say 16. However, if you are asked to leave the gym, do so without an argument. He was never asked his age and spent about 2 hours a day working out. Other rules included that he must join us for dinner every night, appropriately dressed. He even joined us for lunch without us asking him to. He just met us outside the dining room every day at noon. At night he was to be in the kid's program, no roaming around the ship. Finally, we did discuss the railings and told him that hanging over them or climbing on top of them was not permitted. He had a great time and is looking forward to his next cruise.

Archived